Movies that need to be released on DVD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Reader, Mar 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

So Sorry! That was not my intent!

2. tim_neely

Well, then put a "Parental Advisory" sticker on it! Or create a version for the completist and a version for the generalist, clearly indicating that "some of the content my be offensive to sensitive minds." Or ... I wish these companies would have the balls not to alter history!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm sure everyone here know's that.:)

4. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Or better yet:
    "Some of the content my be offensive to people without a sense or humor."

5. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

This is just a "thankyou" to Ken_McAlinden for the info back on page 4; I will certainly be taking advantage of the opportunity to pick up Murnau's Sunrise very soon. Note: I'd already ordered The Day the Earth Stood Still; next will probably be The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and perhaps Gentleman's Agreement, since I don't think I can hold out long enough for The Mark of Zorro. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Muchos Gracias,
    Cat

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Sorry if I sounded like I was in a panic, but I had just 5 minutes earlier cleaned my PC of the "network essentials" parasite. These things are almost as troublesome as viruses, and Norton does not catch them. I have found that www.and.doxdesk.com to be very helpful with manual instructions on how to delete them. Be careful, though, as some remedies involve using the registry editor.

Take a look in your WINDOWS (or WinNT or WinXP etc)\DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES and your \WINDOWS\PROGRAM FILES and also CONTROL PANEL-->add\remove programs

you might find a few surprises!

7. tim_neely

I didn't find any on the computer with which I opened that dreaded page. It's a corporate computer with very good firewalls; it may have already nabbed that stuff. I do remember getting several "Do you wish to install" various programs, to which I always click "NO" -- even if it's something I know, such as Macromedia Flash....

When I first got my most recent home computer, in December, I discovered that somehow the dreaded Xupiter had made it onto my computer. It had never shown up at all on my older computer! I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it, until I downloaded a free program called Spybot. I now run it at least once a week and check for updates often.

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yeah, that Xupiter is finding its way to more and more web sites.

I think that we are starting to thread crap here, so if we have anything else on this subject we should create it in the Hardware forum

9. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Thanks for the "heads up" Mike - I live in the UK where it is currently unavailable. I will try to pick up on import soon as I own an all region capable DVD player.:thumbsup:

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

You are certainly welcome. One interesting thing about Sunrise is that the version on the DVD is the "Movietone" version (i.e. formatted with a recorded score on the film). Apparently, the process of making duplicate or reformatted negatives was not so hot back in the day, so they would either use separate takes or two cameras running simultaneously to create the "silent" and the "movietone" versions. The movietone version would be at the 1.2:1 apect ratio because the sound stripe would take up the left part of the image. The non-movietone silent version would be at the wider academy ratio. Depending on the technological capabilities of the theater, they would get whichever version they could show. The Movietone version was the one seen in the larger urban areas where the theaters typically were first to upgrade for sound.

Regards,

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

More Sunrise

Also, re-reading my earlier post, I'm not sure if this was clear, but the orchestral score is not just a re-recording of the movietone score, but it is a new score composed and conducted by Carl Davis with the Olympic Chamber Orchestra. Both are presented very well.

Regards,

12. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Your info is very much appreciated; I look forward to obtaining this as soon as I acquire the necessary proof of purchase coupons.

:cheers:
    Cat

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Carney-Robbie Robertson, Gary Busey, Jodie Foster.

Great Soundtrack also!

14. ATR

ATR Senior Member

White Dog by Sam Fuller

15. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

The Gumball Rally

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Been waiting for that one for a few years! Neat flick!

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

IIRC this is to be released this year as an SE.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I ran Spybot yesterday on my computer and found Xupiter all over the computer. Thanks for the heads up about Spybot. Cleaned up everything very nicely.

JohnG

19. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Nashville is available in a very nice special edition that is priced inexpensively. If your an altman fan pick it up, great movie and great dvd.

20. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

What's Up Doc?, one of my absolute favorite comedies.

Neat features: 1) There is NO background music for this movie--none. The only music you'll hear is the hotel's PA system or some other "real" source. 2) There is not one cuss word uttered, except maybe "darn" or a similarly harmless word. Not even "damn" makes it into this movie. It does have some innuendos sprinkled through it, but only adults could understand them. 3) It has an awesome car chase through San Francisco.

"What's Up Doc?" at the Internet Movie Database This is an excellent site--I've spent many, many minutes there!

[T]

21. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Ask and you shall receive..this movie is scheduled to be released on 4/29 of this year...

22. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

The Decline of Western Civilization

23. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I haven't gotten past the first page yet, but I'd swear I saw 2 boxed sets of Peter Gunn shows at Borders recently; Warner toons in a post farther down - Jerry Beck's toon site recently mentioned he's consulting on these and are due for a November release (YEAH!!!!)

24. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Re: What's Up Doc?

I'll buy it! Have it on laser. I wonder if The Main Event will ever make it? It's not as good, but my laser copy has a pressing glitch in it. Not too upset--it was one of those Criterion clearance specials I only spent a buck or two on.

25. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Yes, you did. :) I'd forgotten they were released, and someone else in this thread also reminded me. Must be my senior moments... ;) Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.