Movies that never had a score or soundtrack release that you would like to see released

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Platterpus, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member Thread Starter

The title says it all.

I would like to see scores for these two movies:

My Bodyguard (1980) Dave Grusin did most of if not all the music for this great movie.

Time Bandits (1980) There's the one George Harrison track plus some nice moody music along with it by Mike Moran.

So what would others here like to see and hear as far as a soundtrack/score to a movie that never had one originally released?

hi_watt, Steve Litos, omikron and 2 others like this.
  2. Platterpus

I just googled Time Bandits and noticed that Intrada released a CD SDTK for this movie last year. Kind of expensive though.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    Shoes1916 likes this.
  3. Platterpus

Another one I would like would be Swamp Thing (1980)

4. Platterpus

I would prefer CDs for these SDTK's to be the released format. There are other labels like Real Gone Music that have released SDTK's to films that never had an original release at the time of the movie being released. These are mostly on vinyl only if IIRC.

5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The Great Buck Howard (2008) - the John Malkovich, Colin Hanks film scored by Blake Neely. I once emailed him directly and he directed me to a file of the soundtrack on his website, stating something like the powers that be “wouldn’t release it”. (Edit): So they did release it…just found it on Amazon.

hi_watt, Shoes1916 and Platterpus like this.
  6. Platterpus

The one thing I have noticed for many obscure or never before released SDTK's on labels like Intrada is that they only press a 1000 to 3000 CDs and most of them are bought up right away by flippers and then are sold on eBay and Amazon for a collectors price gouge.:thumbsdow But they rarely if ever sell at these prices.

I would like the Andromeda Strain CD SDTK. A re-release of the Colin Towns - Full Circle "The Haunting Of Julia" should get another CD reissue. The original Koch CD came out in 1995 and was gone before the year 2000.

Guillaume P likes this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Junior Bonner. Unlikely to happen at this point, due to licensing fees making a release financially unviable, but hope springs eternal.

Jamey K likes this.
  8. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I don't need a whole soundtrack, just the part where the suitcase is opened in Kiss Me Deadly -- it sounds like Chrome

Lightworker likes this.
  9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

Cat Ballou never had a proper soundtrack release even though the movie had Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye provide great numbers throughout as segues to the various scenes.

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Anyone know if "Dream Away" is same mix and edit as on Gone Troppo?

Sometimes Intrada releases have decent Dynamics, other times they do not. Roll of the dice and I'm tired of loosing :(

11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Onibaba (1964)

12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Carter Burwell - The Ladykillers score

Harpsichord-driven gospel... it's a great score, but never released. I'd buy it in a heartbeat (the soundtrack is excellent but need that score!)

13. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Neely as i recall has been very good about wanting to have his music heard not hoarded.

I'm a big fan of his Everwood and Arrowverse material

RickH likes this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Julie Johnson from about 15 years ago. 3 exclusive Liz Phair sings that only exist in 90 second snippets.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  15. zane7570

zane7570 Forum Resident

My wife would like to see the soundtrack from Nobody get an official release.

Lightworker likes this.
  16. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

i haven't checked recently, but for a long time i could never find Risky Business as a soundtrack release. i heard that there was an import on cd or cassette, but that was years ago.

17. ajax25

ajax25 Forum Resident

The original Gone In 60 Seconds from 1974 with songs by Philip Kachaturian. The DVD release removed the original music and replaced it with random background music.

hi_watt likes this.
  18. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Even at those quantities, they usually take a while to sell out. And companies like La La Land, Intrada, Varese Sarabande and Quartet do often reissue CDs years later after they've sold out and gotten expensive on eBay, sometimes with a few bonus tracks removed, or sometimes with remastering and more stuff added. A.I. just got a straight reissue this month. There have been reissues for Die Hard, Predator, Goonies, Ghostbusters, Karate Kid, Superman, etc. in recent years.

I want complete score releases for the Indiana Jones movies and Star Wars Episode 2 and 3. Pee-wee's Big Adventure had a very limited release in a box set that should be reissued, and I think it needs a bit more added to be complete. Elfman didn't want to include the score for the "movie-within-a-movie" at the end (with James Brolin playing P. W. Herman) because he considered it "source music," which is splitting hairs to say the least. The 1980s G.I. Joe and Transformers cartoon series need CD releases. I think they've only had partial releases on vinyl, which is just stupid. Ghostbusters 2 and Short Circuit 2 need releases. The Raimi Spider-Man scores need expanding. They're just recently releasing expanded scores of the X-Men movies. I think if you start looking at post-2000 movies, there are a ton that haven't had full, expanded score releases. I also really want a full James Newton Howard 2005 King Kong release.

Dyland, Shoes1916 and Platterpus like this.
  19. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Yes! Towns' score for Full Circle is sublime. I'll suggest this very carefully, as to not get in trouble with moderators, but there are places around the Internet where you can find mp3s of the Koch reissue, if you look around. Koch added a few of Towns' compositions not related to the film as extras, and they are very good.

If I had answered this question a few years ago, I could have listed a few scores for horror films. But, within the last couple of years, Joe Renzetti's score for Dead and Buried and Dana Kaproff's score for When a Stranger Calls have been issued on CD (I think this was the first for both, so they're not reissues). I don't think Kaproff's score for the sequel, When a Stranger Calls Back has ever been released, though it's not substantially different.

Plus, vinyl labels like Sacred Bones and Waxwork have done incredible work releasing horror film scores in the past few years. Susan Justin's score for Forbidden World would have been on my list, but Death Waltz released that one in 2014.

Ennio Morricone's score for the 1980 Windows is another favorite of mine. The movie is awful (in spite of being directed by legendary cinematographer Gordon Willis), but Morricone's music is sublime. I think Windows has only ever been issued as a very limited edition CD on a Spanish label, about a decade ago.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Guillaume P, Shoes1916 and Platterpus like this.
  20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Shoes1916 likes this.
  21. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

They're very, very different. The movie had a synth score by Vince DiCola and a bunch of rock songs.

The TV series had music by Kinder & Bryant, a jingle house. The first two seasons had more ordinary TV music a la MASH, with live instruments, but the third season got interesting, almost modal-jazz type music (mixing live and synthesized instruments) as it seems like the original composers had gotten bored doing the MASH thing with muted trumpets.

Another soundtrack I'd like to see an official release of is Normand Corbeil's score for the Canadian sci-fi movie Screamers. To my knowledge it has never had an official release, but it is quite nice. There are also some good Quebecois (but in English) pop songs in there.

22. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

The Transformers and G.I. Joe score cartoon TV series music was by Johnny Douglas initially, and each series had mostly unique tracks. In later seasons, Rob Walsh wrote new music that was not thematically specific, and most of it was used in both series.

I mentioned the vinyl releases, but I wish there were CD releases. I do see now the G.I. Joe vinyl soundtrack music is playable in Spotify. However, at only 40 minutes, that's probably less than a third of the music used in the series.

Hasbro Presents: '80s TV Classics - Music From G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero

For some reason, the vinyl Transformers cartoon album is not there though.

You Can Finally Get the Music from the ’80s ‘Transformers’ Cartoon

23. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

It is shocking how funky and jazzy the music from those shows was.

24. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Generally, I think the jazzy sounding tunes were Johnny Douglas' stuff. Also, anything with a military motif in G.I. Joe was probably by Douglas. These originated in the 1983-1984 mini-series episodes. The first full G.I. Joe season in 1985 introduced the new tracks by Rob Walsh, which had to be generic enough to work in both G.I. Joe and Transformers. So those couldn't use the G.I. Joe or Transformers themes, and couldn't sound too military or too futuristic. They have more of a generic action movie sound, and probably sound less dated than Douglas' stuff. The first 15 episodes (including the 1982-1983 mini-series) probably used almost all of the existing music, and almost everything heard in the remaining 80 episodes was re-use. The 1987 G.I. Joe VHS movie also re-used some Transformers tracks that had never been used in the Joe series up to that point, due to its more sci-fi-based storyline. And there were a handful of tracks in the series that were re-used from earlier Sunbow shows like Spider-Man (notably the disco source music used for party scenes).

Track 13 - Help Marches In is about as definitive an example of a G.I. Joe military theme as you'll find here.

Track 23 - Wild Warriors and Track 29 - Mano-a-Monster are, I think, perfect examples of the "generic" action music Rob Walsh introduced later on that could be used in both the sci-fi Transformers and the slightly more realistic G.I. Joe.

I don't believe Spotify has these tracks all labeled correctly as to which composer did them.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    jbmcb and Maggie like this.
  25. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I would like to see a wider and very comprehensive release of The French Connection score.

Dubmart, jbmcb and Shoes1916 like this.