Movies that were way better than you expected

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

There’s nothing better than a movie that totally exceeds your expectation. It simply blows you away. It doesn’t have to be a movie that gets high critical praise but simply one that really connected with you.

There’s been many for me, but the biggest surprise was Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I didn’t know what a Monty Python was back when I saw the film. I didn’t know if the movie was going to be a drama or an adventure film or whatever. My dad and I simply saw everything else that was out in the nearby theaters. So imagine my delightful surprise as those crazy credits rolled. My dad had no idea what I was laughing at, and asked me what was so funny. What an amazing fun time I had. I became an instant Python fan and was thrilled to learn about them and watched their show airing on PBS.

2. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Blade Runner 2049

I went from being vehemently against the idea of a sequel to thinking it's one of the best films of the last ten years. A stunning achievement.

rock4ev, Jim B., wayneklein and 17 others like this.
  3. Pizza

I was pleasantly surprised by it. In a lot of ways, it suffered a similiar initial reaction as the original film.

polchik likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I finally watched Snowden the other night and liked it better than I thought I would.

LouChang, CDV, Pete Puma and 8 others like this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The Phantom Thread.

6. SteveRes

SteveRes Forum Resident

Mad Max Fury Road.

Being a fanboy of the original trilogy since the 80's I was worried a Gibson-free Mad Max film would suck, but I sat through it on opening night grinning like a Cheshire cat.

ibis, Greg Gee, Bananas&blow and 8 others like this.
  7. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I remember going to see True Romance at the theater for the first time. Thought it would be okay best, but really loved it. The more times a rewatch it, I only like it more. Wasn't expecting that all.

8. Pizza

I almost made this the movie I talk about in my op. I saw it the last week it was out. I went to a matinee by myself and wasn’t expecting much. It blew me out of the water. I told my wife later that day that it’ll probably get a couple of Oscar noms. She thought I was nuts. Later in the year and the Oscar nominations backed me up. Yes. I did say “I told you so,” to her. :p

hi_watt, SteveRes and Dillydipper like this.
  9. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Roma
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

timind, hi_watt and Dillydipper like this.
  10. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

The Matrix

Seeing this on release, I recall I went in thinking I was just biding my time in anticipation of the first Star Wars prequel.

As a Keanu Sci-Fi flick, I was prepared another Johnny Pneumonic.

It was, by a long shot, the better of the two movies that spring of 1999.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Rambo (aka John Rambo)

I thought it would be awful. It wasn’t.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Recent Films:
    Good Time
    The Hunt For The Wilderpeople
    Land of Mine
    My Life as a Zucchini

Classics:
    Clueless
    Soapdish
    Housesitter
    Sneakers
    The Parent Trap (1998)

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Just watched it for the seventh time after paying to see it four. The gift that keeps on giving and the only film for me that actually gets better each time I see it.

rock4ev, vegafleet, nifticus and 11 others like this.
  14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

15. talkradio

talkradio Faded Primadonna

Uncut Gems

I mean...Adam Sandler. But he was not only tolerable, but actually great here.

16. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

The Notebook

I avoided this movie for a long time because all I had heard about it was that many cried their eyes out watching it, but I stumbled across it recently and ended up watching it (Rachel McAdams being in it was a selling point ;) ) and was surprised by how good it was. No, I didn't cry my eyes out LOL, but it was certainly pretty heavy at times.

17. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I remember blind buying "The Shawshank Redemption" on Laserdisc back in the day.

One of my better judgement calls..........:D

18. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Zorro the Gay Blade
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the tv series surpassed the film)
    Brady Bunch

19. Pizza

Now you’re going to make me want to watch this.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm with ya 50/50 on that. By the time Roma got around to redeeming itself, I was mostly concentrating on my Cafe Americano at that point. Oddly, although I knew what to expect from "a Tarantino film" by now, it was still a satisfying conclusion.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We've been lucky to have a local indie cinema that we've supported since they opened in 2001. So many nights, we would come in, and just look to see which film he hadn't seen yet and buy a ticket sight unseen. The wife doesn't even watch the screen during the trailers. The whole, not only have the films been better than we expected, but...the percentage of the films have been way better than we expected!

Gaslight likes this.
  22. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Parasite.
    Rush.
    Ford vs Ferrari.

23. Baroque

Baroque Forum Resident

Exorcist 3. I remember renting this quite a few years ago expecting a night of derisive snickering. Though not a horror classic I was immediately pulled in by the performances and the gritty direction... and of course a scare scene to end all scare scenes.

24. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

guardians of the galaxy vol. 2

25. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Sure, it's tacky 80s, but it was entertaining:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.