Movies that you still laugh at uncontrollably even after many years and multiple viewings

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Judge Judy, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

Take the money and run is another really early woody allen film that I loved.
    My favorite scene is when a rival gang of bank robbers show up at the same time woody and the gang are robbing the place.
    I also get a kick out of the gag where the bank teller couldn't read the note. something like that happened in the news, the emmis.

Ed the Dog and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Randall DeBouvre

my favorite line from take the money and run is:
    food on a chain gang is scarce and not very nourishing. the men get one hot meal a day : a bowl of steam . it's even funnier when it is delivered in the deadpanned, very DEEP voice of narrator jackson beck.

Boom Operator likes this.
  3. Randall DeBouvre

it's a gift
    I AM LOOKING FOR A MAN NAMED LA FONG, CARL LA FONG! CAPITAL C ,SMALL A , SMALL R SMALL L , CAPITAL L, SMALL A, CAPTITAL F, SMALL O ,SMALL N, SMALL G! LA FONG ! CARL LA FONG!

BobbyG, Jazzmonkie and Ghostworld like this.
  4. Randall DeBouvre

That was based on a reportedly true incident with john barrymore .

smilin ed likes this.
  5. Randall DeBouvre

city lights
    particularly the boxing scene where the tramp almost beats his much more formidable opponent by baffling him with fancy and unorthodox footwork.

the movie also made me tear up.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  6. Randall DeBouvre

I like the movie, but not as much as other people on the board.
    I also agree with leonard maltin that it is more dry and clever than convulsively hilarious.

Pizza likes this.
  7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Here's the problem with This Is Spinal Tap -- and it's the ONLY problem with This Is Spinal Tap -- the hype. It's overhyped and too played out at this point. If you're seeing it for the first time at any point after the mid-'90s, I can only assume that you're going to be expecting too much from it. I saw it for the first time on home video in 1987, three years after its release, when I was about 13-14, and it's the movie I've seen and laughed at the most in my life.

It was brilliant for its time, in an era where we hadn't yet seen too many brilliantly staged pastiches of '60s TV performances or phony documentaries. Even The Rutles recreated and parodied actual filmed Beatles events. Today, all that stuff is kind of overdone. We've had a million fake documentary films and TV series. The concept is no longer new. That was such a big part of what made it so great in its day. And "goes to eleven" has become such a common phrase that the original scene it comes from is no longer quite as funny as it once was. To hear people hype it up is to expect something it can't really deliver. It needs to be seen with little or no expectations in order to be effective.

8. Randall DeBouvre

court jester

the pellet with the poison is in the vessel with the pestle. the palace from the chalice has the brew that is true.

Get it? Got it? Good!

Jazzmonkie, Ghostworld and finslaw like this.
  9. Randall DeBouvre

Used Cars

50 bucks never killed anybody!

10. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Caddyshack , the first couple Cheech n Chong movies.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Ha ha ha ha. I love when he’s trying to take a nap

I’ve probably seen “The Bank Dick” 20 times And I still crack up every time he picks up the potted plant to throw at his daughter.

Jazzmonkie, Amnion and smilin ed like this.
  12. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

Blazing Saddles - especially *that* scene...

RSteven and DankFridge like this.
  13. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

All timer

cathandler and RSteven like this.
  14. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Borat movies - though maybe more cringing than actual laughing.
    Any of the Peter Sellers PP films.
    Home Alone 1
    Not movies, but most of the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts (Foghorn Leghorn particularly)

RSteven likes this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Blazing Saddles

RSteven likes this.
  16. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

Caddyshack
    Big Lewbowski
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Spinal Tap
    My Blue Heaven
    The Jerk
    Parenthood
    Clue
    Hot Rod
    MacGruber
    Beer fest
    Slammin’ salmon
    Dr. Strangelove

Good mix of high and low brow humor.
    Edit to add
    Blazing Saddles
    History of the world Part 1. Looking forward to the upcoming sequel.

MikaelaArsenault and RSteven like this.
  17. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I don't think it has been mentioned yet but for us Canadians - Slap Shot always makes the list.

18. The Blues Brothers, which I just watched on TCM. I laughed so hard my hair was standing on end. It had been at least 30 years since I'd seen the movie, and I had no memory of most of it. I already recalled it as funny, but I didn't realize it was that funny. Hilarious for the hyper-surreal car chase scenes alone. But also for the absurdity, and the deadpan bro-chemistry of the physical comedy between Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi. No dialog required to elicit laughter; it works just fine as a silent movie. (Also: that Albanian could move. Ackroyd danced pretty good, too, But Belushi was phenomenal.)

That said, speaking of the dialog, and the way it was delivered:

Ackroyd, behind the wheel at 100mph: "...we're approaching the Richard Daley Plaza..."

Belushi, riding shotgun: "...that's where they have that Picasso..."

[me: collapsing in laughter]

Also, Music. Absolutely top-notch. Like Preston Sturges and Mel Brooks put together, with mushroom topping and a classic R&B soundtrack. One demerit, for gratuitous use of automatic weapons. (A gear-grinding point with me.) Basically, a 9.9/10.

Next up on TCM: The Bank Dick, featuring W. C. Fields. I'm there.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
    64FALCON likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

or he steps on small tale to walk up the stairs!

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's A Gift ...my wife and I still laugh at this great movie when we watch it together...
    so many killer funny scenes.

Amnion and rod like this.
  21. Mystery Men
    Army of Darkness
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension
    Duck Soup
    Blazing Saddles

22. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

"Nobody's perfect..."

23. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

There was car chase at the end of the 1941 W.C. FIELDS comedy "Never Give A Sucker An Even Break". I remember that movie; it did make me laugh. And there was no plot. Really is something to watch a major studio film with no plot.

Amnion likes this.
  24. The plot of The Bank Dick could be written on a napkin. Granted, the storyboarding of the scenes would require some focused detail work. Once again, thoroughly hilarious and storyline-extraneous.

(Cox "Communications" had better stop ****ing with my cable feed, though.They've lost the Flow, and the Honchos need to parachute some machine elves into their System in order to scrub up the buffering and loading.)

64FALCON likes this.
  25. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Maybe not laugh uncontrollably,but Easy Money with Rodney Dangerfield and Joe Pesci still generates laughs after multiple viewings...the storyline is kinda weak,but putting them together was comedy gold.

64FALCON and RSteven like this.