Movies that you would change the ending

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

We will of course never know for sure but it is fun to speculate... I think that he takes Kurtz request to go to his son as his last order as a soldier (not 'some errand boy sent by grocery clerks'). So whilst he is no longer in the US Army he wants to honor that final request and get back some of his self respect. He might not be in the army anymore but he will always be a soldier.

He also has Lance with him so he probably feels a duty to get him home too.

I've only seen the redux version once so I've never really considered the French Plantation as part of the journey. But if we suppose it always happened and one version just doesn't show that particular part of the journey then maybe he would call in there on the way back and who knows what might happen then.

2. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Yes, that would be a cool discussion!

It is certainly possible that he never makes it out, although the ending pretty strongly suggests that it wouldn't be any of Kurtz's people who would kill him.

3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I don't want to derail this thread, but a couple more points on this:

You make a good argument that Willard is still a soldier even if he doesn't stay in the Army, and an even better one about Lance. Still I wonder if Willard thought Kurtz's request was real. What is it exactly Willard would say, or does it end up like Heart of Darkness where he makes something up to please Kurtz's son?

I think about Roxanne and the French Plantation scene not because I am excessively romantic, trust me. But she is the only person in the whole film (meaning no one if you consider only the original cut) who Willard seems to relate to on a significant level. Willard also seems quite concerned about their future, in staying put, and that's probably even more true about Roxanne for the obvious reason. I think this notion appeals to me because while Willard no longer trusts the Army and said early on he could not feel anything back home, he's not given up on human interaction, and could go somewhere else.

Phil147 likes this.
  4. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I think we have probably derailed it already :) I've just posted in the recent Apocalypse Now thread about the open ending. Lets see if it opens up any debate there and we can leave this thread back to the OP's original intention.

Hardy Melville likes this.
  5. violarules

violarules Senior Member

A prologue happens before something. The word you are looking for is EPILOGUE.

6. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

"Why do you build me up,
    Buttercup baby
    Just to let me down,
    and mess me around..."

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not sure how a song quote explains what made those 5 films "bait and switch filmmaking"...

Dudley Morris and Lightworker like this.
  8. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The Martian. I enjoyed it, but I thought the preachy bit back on Earth where he gives the kids a pep talk was totally redundant. The movie should have ended when he was hauled in on the rescue ship.

DHamilton likes this.
  9. Lightworker

The meaning is spelled out in song.

10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The SF movie "Somewhere In Time" that starred Christopher Reeve. An intriguing story if you suspend disbelief, but that ending was so corny it almost spoiled the entire film for me.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I understand your song quote to mean that you felt the film's built to an unsatisfactory climax, but "Buttercup" doesn't explain what made those particular films "bait and switch".

You know, you could always just give a straight answer! :sigh:

12. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes. I would have ended it by not going at all. That film was interminable.

13. Lightworker

Lotta films there with a lotta separate reasons for disappointment. Didn't really wanna see 'Stallone
    the avenger' turn into a crying little girly-man just because of Luke McCoy, for instance.

[​IMG]

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:doh:

you are correct.....thanks

15. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

yeah, the Being There blooper reel ending is one of my favourite moments in a film. I can see why some may not like it though.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Evelyn Mulwray didn't have to die.

rogertheshrubber and kch27 like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

big argument at the time, studio didn't want it either

18. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

No, it wasn't. But not including it in the theatrical release was and that's how I would change the ending.

19. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

So, you don't like it after they exit the old west into (then) present day at the WB studios and all that?

20. Scooterpiety

I never liked the end of "Thelma & Louise". I didn't think it had to end so tragically. A girl I was dating actually broke up with ne because I didn't agree with her that the actual ending was the only one possible after tge events that preceded it.

Timeless Classics likes this.
  21. Scooterpiety

"The Last American Virgin"
    What a shocking and depressing ending. I was totally bumbed out after I saw it.

22. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I was thinking that Potter has the money from the Savings And Loan, and that is eventually going to come out...unless he is able to hide the money somehow. Plus, it is possible that Uncle Billy may eventually remember what happened. George may later notice how knowing Potter seemed to be about his situation...like he expected George to be in trouble.

23. No it isn't. "Bait and switch" doesn't mean"unsatisfying".

Lightworker likes this.
  24. CE3K - I always wanted the aliens to emerge from the ship and start blasting people.

25. Lightworker

It does for me...more often than not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.