Movies too long these days? We still won't be getting intermissions! USA Today article

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 26, 2022.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

altaeria and audiomixer like this.
  2. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I don't mind long films as long as the runtime justifies it. Films like Blade Runner 2049, Interstellar, and The Batman never felt as long as they actually are. Sure, we're getting some movies that shouldn't be three hours, but typically a little trimming here and there is really all it takes to tighten some of those films up.

The main problem now is people can't put down their phones long enough to actually immerse themselves in a story.

TheVU, drufty, agentalbert and 4 others like this.
  3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

It's getting to the point where I try not to drink anything before a long movie...or skip my diuretics...

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

The last movie I remember seeing with an intermission was "Titanic" and I didn't really like it.

It would be more helpful if movie theaters limited the previews for movies that are exceptionally long. A 25-30 minute wait before the movie is the real problem.

drufty, vinnie, HaileyMcComet and 5 others like this.
  5. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

To be fair, a significant aspect of the growing running time of movies nowadays is the unprecedented length of the opening studio logos and end credits. Blade Runner 2049 has an 11-minute end credit crawl, notwithstanding the lack of "stingers" or other devices by which end credits have been extended lately. And it takes 2 full minutes before the first frame of the film is shown. So its actual running time is 151 minutes, not the 164 minutes "official" running time. Even at 151 minutes it is a half hour longer than the original film, but it is also much plottier than the original.

Much the same is true of Interstellar and The Batman. Avengers: Endgame also had an extraordinarily long end credit crawl.

HaileyMcComet and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

MCU fans have grown accustomed to sticking around for the post-credit scene(s).

Chris DeVoe and Michael like this.
  7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They should get rid of loads of those credits. You don't need to know every name it's ridiculous.

I don't know if films are longer now, has anyone actually done the math? In the late 60's films got really long.

Like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is 148 minutes which is far too long for a kids musical.

agentalbert likes this.
  8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Ironically, Endgame didn't have any, despite being far and away the longest Marvel film to date.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Saw two films with intermissions yesterday.

They were both Indian films at a Cinemark.

Lars Medley, Mark Wilson and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love long movies...I usually opt for the extended cut/DC, etc...

apesfan, Juan Matus and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Michael

guilty! ; )

12. Michael

another reason not to go to the movies!

Doctor Worm likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm pretty sure it is a requirement of the contracts of the various unions and guilds.

Get used to it. The latest is for every member of the orchestra to get a credit, with their instrument listed

Jrr, RSteven, O Don Piano and 2 others like this.
  14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'd like two intermissons, one at the beginning with a surround sound test, and then another one sometime after second breakfast for natural urges. Even more intermissions might be needed by some, like after third lunch...??? ...or for bodily fluid absorption.... ;)

15. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I don't mind. They could have made those Lord of the Rings movies 12 hours each and I would have watched every second.

16. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Credits are important to a crew member’s career. While it means nothing to you who the gaffer was on The Batman, it absolutely means something to that person that they receive credit. Sometimes that’s the only reason people work on certain productions.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yep. WAAAAAY too long. It's ridiculous who gets listed. Nobody gives a ***ck who Mr. Cruise's personal chef was.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Doesn't make a lot of ergonomic or business sense...if ya don't get a chance to go pee...you don't get a chance to go get more jujubee's, either. :wtf:

If a theater is concerned with butts in seats, they also have to be concerned with butts squirming in seats, right?

I have a good friend I see films with regularly, and he has since junior high school. Still, the moment the credits roll, unless he knows Nick Fury is gonna pop in halfway through the gaffer's credits to tease the next sequel, he's gonna be up and running for the exit. He's already got all the credits he needs on his phone.

altaeria likes this.
  19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Whereas The Hobbit was far too drawn out. One small book making three long movies. Commerce overtook art there in an unhealthy balance. They could have cut so much crap out.

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

If the movie is good, I don't care!

21. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I didn't like those nearly as much as LoTR's. I guess if those were better I wouldn't have cared that they were long.

22. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

the last marvel film i saw i knew after 90 mins or so i could use the toilet as all that would be happening would be people punching each other

i don't think the issue is the length, it is many blockbusters lack a story thread to keep people entertained

23. Ergonomic sense? What does that even mean?

drift and 905 like this.
  24. Bad movies are too long. Good movies aren't long enough. - Roger Ebert

25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

To make it worse they usually have 20+ minutes of ads and previews before the show even starts