Movies where a lot of talent is wasted

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 64FALCON, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

See. I love this movie.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'Catch 22' had an incredible cast!
    Alan Arkin, Jon Voight, Buck Henry, Martin Sheen, Martin Balsam, Orson Welles, Richard Benjamin, Charles Grodin, Paula Prentiss, Norman Fell, Bob Newhart....
    And it completely missed the boat.

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

True dat!

4. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

Speaking of "eye candy" there is the 1968 movie with a very good cast titled . . . CANDY!

a customer, Ghostworld and Michael like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

fair enough...actually when I first saw this on HBO I liked it! in later years it was just gross...didn't hate it. ; )

64FALCON likes this.
  6. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

I'll be slightly controversial and say the majority of Woody Allen movies released in the last 30 years.,

Fastnbulbous and eric777 like this.
  7. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

I actually think this movie does a pretty good job of adapting the novel, not an easy task. The problem is since everyone who's graduated from an American high school has read the novel, what's the point of watching the movie?

8. Wildest cat from montana

It's not always the case that the book is better than the movie. ' The Godfather' is a good example of this. The book is actually cheesy in spots.

formu_la likes this.
  9. Essan

Essan Forum Resident

10. Wildest cat from montana

What an awful movie.

Dennis Metz, Ghostworld and 64FALCON like this.
  11. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I could prob'ly name a million, if you're talkin' about behind-the-camera talent.

64FALCON likes this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I enjoy parts of the movie let’s say I enjoy the performances. But there is Just an imbalance to the entire movie That makes it a bit of a failure. Is it satire? comedy? drama? it’s pitched towards comedy but the subject matter gets so bleak and bloody youre just left with an icky feeling. Who wants to walk out of a comedy feeling like you just got punched in the face?

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Agreed. One of the stupidest movies around. But in the matter of a lot of “talent” being wasted? That’s debatable. Oh wait Steve Buscemi was in it. You’re right it was a waste of talent. And it’s like his worst movie ever

14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'm not going anywhere. :waiting:

64FALCON likes this.
  15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Unnecessary remakes.

Stupid sequels.

Comic book junk.

How many does that account for?

64FALCON likes this.
  16. Keanu aside (and Ryder), I think it’s a pretty good movie. Unwatchable? Hardly.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. I loved Baby Driver. It’s a terrific thriller with just the right elements of comedy. Evidently, they disagree with you. They didn’t have to appear in it.

18. Take someone who doesn’t understand the appeal of the TV series, let them make the movie and you have a complete misfire. It’s like all three of them were performing in different movies.

19. It’s in the same category as “The Avengers” (the TV series); take everything that was special about the series, remove it and make a film which doesn’t even resemble the best elements of the series.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Those Garry Marshall features from about a decade ago, where they'd cram the film with stunt-casting and interchanging storylines, all based around a holiday, such as Valentines Day or New Years. Butts in seats, putz in the writer's chair. Winning popcorn formula if you had a mom or aunt you needed to get out of the house.

64FALCON likes this.
  21. Well, opinions differ on ‘comic book junk’. Some are well made and I enjoy them.

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Beat the Devil 1953

Topic comes up in Woody documentary. Actors said he gives very limited direction and guess what he wants.

PonceDeLeroy and 64FALCON like this.
  23. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

@Sound_Advice: That sounds something you'd hear about Hitchcock, too. He offered limited direction more often than not and if he liked what you did he wouldn't say anything! If he didn't like what the actor was doing he'd speak up.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I admit I'm not impartial because I was obsessed with it as a kid, but "Towering Inferno" was really a pretty good movie.

Did it deserve a Best Picture nomination? No, but it was a much better film than most - all? - of its peers.

That said, the original "Airport" got a BP nod too and I think it's a total snoozer!

64FALCON likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought "Red" was a blast, and the actors all seemed to have a great time, which made it more enjoyable.

"Red" wasn't supposed to be anything more than what it was: a goofy action flick.

"O12" disappointed me when I first saw it, mainly because I expected something more akin to the prior movie.

When I took it on its own terms upon 2nd screening, though, I liked it quite a lot.

Even if you still think it stinks, I believe the movie deserves credit because it didn't simply rework the formula from the 2001 movie.

"13" did that and was more fun than "12" but less creative.