Movies where a lot of talent is wasted

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 64FALCON, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Funny - I mentioned this as a bad movie for which I have a soft spot because I loved it as a kid,

2 reasons why "Wiz" is a bad movie but not a traditional "waste of talent", IMO:

1) the casting was just wrong for so many roles. Ted Ross and Mabel King reprised stage characters and were arguably the only 2 who matched well with their parts.

2) Sidney Lumet was 100% a terrible choice to direct a musical. Someone thought "hey, let's have the dude who did 'Dog Day Afternoon' and 'Serpico' direct a light musical adaptation of 'Wizard of Oz'"???

:wtf:

So yeah, there's real talent there but the bad choices doomed the film in ways that aren't true for a lot of the movies in this thread.

CoachD likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

My go-to pick for Biggest Waste of Talent:

"Meet the Fockers":

"Meet the Parents" wasn't a classic but it was an entertaining comedy.

"Fockers" offers a complete disaster where the biggest laughs come from a baby who says "a$$hole" and puerile humor abounds.

Jay Roach.

Ben Stiller.

Owen Wilson.

Barbra Streisand.

Robert De Niro.

Dustin Hoffman.

Blythe Danner.

Tim Blake Nelson.

Great cast and crew. Painfully bad movie.

FWIW, "Little Fockers" brings back most of the above and adds new talent like Harvey Keitel, Laura Dern and others, all while it becomes arguably worse than "Fockers".

I pick "Fockers" as the bigger waste of talent because it launched that particular ship. Blame the originator! :D

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

4. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

I almost want to say "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Not because Frampton or the Bee Gees or anyone else in the movie besides George Burns could act, but because they collected five or six dozen talented late 70s musicians and random celebrities to do nothing front of the camera at the end of the movie.

5. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident Thread Starter

The 1979 all-star-cast movie BLOODLINE was poorly regarded at the time of its release and I don't believe its reputation has improved.

Randall DeBouvre likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Never even heard of it - or if I did, I don't remember it!

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Popeye with Robin Williams is IMO the worst movie ever made. Robert Altman, Robin Williams, Shelly Duvall, and a pile high of cocaine.

Heartbeeps with Andy Kauffman and Bernadette Peters was also awful. Score by John Williams

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  8. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Has its moments!!

unclefred likes this.
  9. Michael

if it was played straight without the songs it would have ruled..Robin was a great Popeye, actually the rest of the cast were great as well!

carrick doone and unclefred like this.
  10. PonceDeLeroy

Only Angels Have Wings (1939) with James Stewart, Jean Arthur, and Rita Hayworth. Rita was not used to her, cough, magnificent potentials!

Trivia: 1 of a few pretty good movies Thomas Mitchell was in that year: Gone With the Wind, It's a Wonderful Life, The Hunchback from Notre Dame, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and Stagecoach (Best Supporting Actor)! Some actors would KILL for a year like that!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  11. PonceDeLeroy

I WANTED the focus to be mostly on Yossarian (Yo Yo) and ORR, so the rest of the cast was sorta distracting to me. Anthony Perkins the Anabaptist might have been the best one in that wasted supporting cast, but I also remember Yossarian's love interest and the old man who told Nately about life!

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I actually think it has quite a few. With no conceptions about it going in, I enjoyed it throughout.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

And even the songs are decent. :D

Michael likes this.
  14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Now, I might concede about Heartbeeps, but I still kinda like it. Blame my access to cable TV when I was young. :D

15. Randall DeBouvre

Randall DeBouvre forum resident

the oscar-1966
    the betsy-1978

64FALCON likes this.
  16. Michael

I didn't like the format at all...Robin blew my mind! he looked great so did Shelly...

Pinknik likes this.
  17. Michael

once was enough on that one...

18. Michael

back in the early 80's HBO was KING for new movies on cable.

Pinknik likes this.
  19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The blu-ray has a music-only feature where it's a 35 min mini film that's all singing. I've watched that a couple of times recently and seen what they were aiming at and think they succeeded to some degree. It's all the other stuff that has me wincing.

20. Randall DeBouvre

i thought it was okay. to me, the best part of the movie was bob ballaban as orr.
    i agree that the scene were the old man was talking to art garfunkle was great.
    i also like the scene when all the pilots give a thumbs up to signal that they are ready for take off. then they get to yossarian, who flips the bird.

Fastnbulbous and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  21. Randall DeBouvre

hurricane-1979

64FALCON likes this.
  22. Randall DeBouvre

beyond the Poseidon adventure-1979

Hoover Factory and 64FALCON like this.
  23. Randall DeBouvre

i think bob newhart was miscast as major major. i don't know they didn't cast henry fonda. the character in the book was suposed to be a dead ringer for hank fonda

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Did either of you ever see the 1973 television pilot of 'Catch 22' with Richard Dreyfuss as Yossarian?
    Really dreadful.

25. PonceDeLeroy

No I didn't see that. I can't picture Dreyfuss in that role, to be honest.