Movies with incomprehensible plots?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Cryptical17, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

the one I saw was the original Spanish version. I think it was Spanish anyway. I thought it was pretty good.

Timos likes this.
  2. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Tinker Tailor is a pretty good movie, but it's one of those requiring a proper atmosphere for viewing. It is not something you watch with a bunch of the guys and a case of beer or with a kid who is going to ask endless questions. Best for calm, solitary viewing.

And yea, I confess to having needed a 2nd viewing the following day to clarify some things.

Taxman, Knox Harrington and Mother like this.
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Wonder Woman 1984

citizensmurf likes this.
  4. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Yeah, that’s right - I didn’t know there was a ‘non-Spanish’ one, to be fair.

unclefred likes this.
  5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The missus and I both like a good spy thriller, we went to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on one of our first dates...I enjoyed it (I'd also read a few of the Le Carre Smiley books), my wife fell asleep:laugh: Not enough action for her liking...

Jack Lord likes this.
  7. ILoveMyDogs

ILoveMyDogs Forum Resident

I was really looking forward to watch Lost Highway as I had already enjoyed Mulholland Drive on DVD some time earlier.

Didn't "understand" Lost Highway at all...

Jimmy B. likes this.
  8. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Must say I experienced the same thing. To be fair, Lady Lord is not a night person.

9. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

you gotta really focus... if your attention strays for one moment, you will be lost... but it's worth it...

Scowl, RickH and Chris DeVoe like this.
  10. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Memento with Guy Pearce was tough to keep up with. The basic premise was easy to understand, but piecing everything together while watching required some attention.

RickH likes this.
  11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The problem with that approach is that the director 'understands' the entire film, or each scene within broad context. he or she has the perspective of their intent that the audience doesn't If there's not a linear narrative, or something - some dramatic impulse, what you're watching at minute 5 has the same 'weight' as minute 97 or 138... like a 2 hour film of spectacular sunsets would get boring after a few minutes. A viewer can only cumulatively absorb and assimilate so much abstraction.

I think Malick went as far as he go with that approach in "The Thin Red Line", and I think its a great film. But there's a subtext of the chaos and confusion of war, so the protagonists being replaced by others throughout the film makes sense. The films of his I've seen after that are just gorgeous self indulgences. Visual splendor is never an adequate analogy for expressing internalized psychology. He doesn't know what do to with actors, so he has them playing in sprinklers at dusk (it seems like half of Tree of Life) or late afternoon sunlit fields in Oklahoma, or Sean Penn stumbling around on the beach at the Tree of Life conclusion. He looked genuinely uncomfortable and self-conscious.

Not that this proves my theory, but Penn's own perception: " I didn’t at all find on the screen the emotion of the script, which is the most magnificent one that I’ve ever read. A clearer and more conventional narrative would have helped the film without, in my opinion, lessening its beauty and its impact. Frankly, I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing there and what I was supposed to add in that context! What’s more, Terry himself never managed to explain it to me clearly."

Knox Harrington and Oatsdad like this.
  12. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

lynch explains ... films that ... don't make sense.

ymmv

kevywevy likes this.
  13. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

14. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

you may not know this, and please excuse my lack of detail on it, but if i'm not mistaken there is a version available on dvd where as an extra you can go through some type of easter egg process and see a version of the film in chronological order. also, again if your unaware, there is a crucial minute moment during a scene with Sammy in the hospital that gives a a bit of story detail that a lot of folks miss. helps the plot.

Knox Harrington likes this.
  15. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Life's hard with ADHD. :agree:

I'll need to track that DVD version down!

jlocke08 likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In the US, I believe - but I'm not sure - that the chronological "Memento" only appears on this "Limited Edition" DVD:

https://www.amazon.com/Memento-Wide...dvd+limited&qid=1612229931&s=movies-tv&sr=1-1

It wasn't all that limited - I picked up a new copy for a friend for like $5 around 2010 - but it does seem to be OOP now.

You can get it dirt cheap on eBay, though:

Memento Limited DVD | eBay

Unfortunately, AFAIK, the US Blu-ray versions don't offer the chronological version! :sigh:

17. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Watched that Memento easter egg a couple weeks ago, a very neat way to see the film if it's been a while.

18. Oatsdad

I don't think I ever watched the chronological "Memento"!

When I read my review, I mentioned its inclusion but indicated I didn't view it at that time.

I said I'd probably watch it someday... but I don't think I did! :help:

19. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

The dvd menu is without a doubt the most convoluted thing ever. If you don't look up the instructions online to get to the egg, you'll never find it in a million years.

jlocke08 likes this.
  20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I love Lost Highway and I love Mulholland Drive but Inland Empire was just too much for me.

Timos likes this.
  21. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Howard Hawks
    The Big Sleep (1946)
    Great Actors But The Plot Is A Real Head Scratcher.
    I Never Figured Who Murdered Who

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's a great clip. Very thoughtful and accessible explanation.

Here's something that occurred to me a few years ago when I was discussing David Lynch's films with a friend of mine (I'm a fan, he's not):

For most people, I think, if they sit down to watch a movie like Transformers, they're not looking for something that "makes sense." They're not looking for an artistic creation where the viewer can draw intellectual lines between every element and every other element to reveal the thoughts and intent of the filmmakers.

They just want to see something exciting that stimulates their brain in a way that they find pleasurable. If the movie is well-made and exciting, most people are not going to be worried about plot inconsistencies, or cut-to-cut continuity or anything like that, because you get swept up in the spectacle of it all. This is even true of movies that many people consider "better" than the Transformers franchise (like Star Wars, the Matrix, Marvel movies, etc.).

For me, cryptic movies like Lynch's are exactly the same. If I find the movie compelling, and I enjoy "spending time" with the characters, I don't require that every plot point be resolved (or even comprehensible) as long as the images and sounds stimulate my brain in a manner that gives me pleasure.

kevywevy likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Yeah, the entire interface is a disaster.

My review linked to a guide, but it's long defunct. Hopefully someone still has one online!

24. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

The Hyman Roth plot does not make sense. But it's still a great movie.

25. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

yeah, eyes wide shut for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.