Movies you didn't like/get the first time that you like now?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve-oh, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member Thread Starter

Kind of a spin-off on Steve's thread about movies you hate, but what about movies you didn't like initially that you do now?

For me, that would be one I was just watching yesterday - Fear and Lothing in Las Vegas.

I didn't like this when it first came out, because I had read and loved the book, and my initial impression was that it didn't really capture the book well.

But I watched it again on a friend's suggestion, and after discussing his take on it, and it clicked. I picked up the recent Criterion Collection edition, and I'd recommend it highly to any fans of the movie or Hunter S. Thompson. Just yesterday I watched it with his commentary track running, which often has nothing to do with what is going on on screen. In addition, be warned that at certain times, for no apparent reason, he lets out an ear-piercing scream.

2. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

This movie came and went so quickly I had to rent it when it came out on tape. I dont know how I missed it at the theaters. I bought the book right before the movie was released. It is still one of my favorites, in fact, I reread parts of it all the time. I bought the Criterion too, the Thompson commentary was great. You might want to check out Where The Buffalo Roam too. This is basically the same movie with Bill Murray and Peter Boyle. It's not as good as Fear and Loathing, but it is worth a rent.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Mine is another Terry Gilliam film: Brazil. Hated it the first time I saw it. Now that I've seen the director's cut several times, I think it's a terrific movie. Far more coherent than the mess the studio chopped it up into originally.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Kane. I get it now. I didn't at 14. Been a long while since!

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

2001. That ending didn't make since to me. It does now....somewhat. I love the movie.

6. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

I saw the Bourne Identity last night for the first time. Need to see it again to fully derive the intent. Very strange way to tell a story. It was good though.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Bergman's PERSONA. You could watch it a thousand times and not figure it all out. Nothing else like it in cinema.

ED:cool:

8. stever

stever Senior Member

It took years to grasp the profundity of, "2001, A Space Odyssey," and I still may not entirely know what Kubrick was trying to do. Anybody want to educate the masses?

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

A Clockwork Orange.

10. Fight Club
    I didn't exactly watch this in the best scenario...there were a lot of interruptions which I suppose could be to blame...but I was made to watch it again and I fell in love.

The Usual Suspects
    I've seen this once, and I think I am the only one on the planet who dislikes it. Brilliant ending, but I felt it went way too slow to get there. I think I need to view it again.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

FULL METAL JACKET

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was about to post the exact same title.

13. Barry Lyndon. Hmm. This thread could be Stanley Kubrick films you didn't get the first time you watched them and now you think they're very good. :)

Eraserhead. Not that I ddin't like it, but I took the film very seriously. I used to get annoyed at people in the theatre, laughing. Then after about the 10th or 15th viewing at the art house cinema (I was buds with the mgr. used to get in free :D ), back in around 1979-80, I read an article on David Lynch. He explained that the film was black humour. The next time I saw it, I was howling out loud and have found it very funny since. :laugh:

14. Calavera

Calavera New Member

Mulholland Drive, this movie is a riddle wrapped inside an enigma.
    You get a headache after the first viewing, but it gets your curiosity.
    You have to analyze it scene by scene, line by line, everything you see and hear. After watching it several times the pieces start to fall into place.
    Very rewarding when you finally figure it out, this is one of the most ingenious movies I've ever seen...... "Silencio!!"

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

There are many books devoted to the film that will give you a lot of help, but....some parts of 2001 will always remain, um, inscrutable and, intentionally, unknowable. Yet patience is rewarded: watch long enough, let yourself get into the measured, slow pace, and you will find enough to more than satisfy *what it all means*.

Understand it all? No. Neither did Stanley Kubrick or Arthur C. Clarke--they worked together and came to entirely different interpretations. Both are true--and false.

"The Ultimate Trip" it remains. No fast-paced action; yet never dull, once it hits you.

No drugs needed, really. Just your mind and eyes. I think my *makes sense of 2001* is about at 80% by now. 20% remains.

ED:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.