Movies You Love That No One Else Does.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Catch-22

Alan Arkin
    Richard Benjamin
    Martin Balsam
    Bob Newhart
    Charles Grodin
    Jon Voight
    Bob Balaban
    Orson Wells

I mean whats not to like?

Jazzmonkie, Brother Maynard and GLENN like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, have I mentioned I like that old Jack Benny movie, The Horn Blows at Midnight? Benny said for 20 years, this was the film that was so bad, it killed his film career. It's actually a funny -- but bizarre -- film. Not a good movie, not a lot of people like it, but I think it's pretty entertaining.

audiofool likes this.
  3. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

In the wake of Star Wars: A New Hope, studios were releasing sci-fi movies like crazy, just to jump on the bandwagon...a lot of which were really bad.

I'm a sucker for So-bad-it's-good sci fi movies.

3 of my favorites:

"Laserblast" with Kim Milford, Roddy McDowall & Keenan Wynn. Very slow moving in parts, but the stop-motion alien creatures are cool. Actually, the MST3K version is by far the best way to watch this one!

"The Shape Of Things To Come" with Jack Palance and Barry Morse. Special effects that included recycled Star Trek model kits, and a bio-dome on the moon that had a command center that looked like a suburban Toronto office building (because it was!). MST3K should have done this one, I don't know why they didn't!

"Battle Beyond The Stars" with Richard Thomas. A cross between Star Wars and the Magnificent Seven. Another prime candidate for MST3K. I have no idea why they never did this one either!

Jerry Horne likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The Big Kahuna starring Kevin Spacey and Danny DeVito.

Wonderful play turned into a fantastic movie with no special effects, car chases, gratuitous nudity, but with fantastic David Mamet-style speeches, performances, and story.

A bit disappointing most people have never seen it but would instead choose a Fast & Furious movie instead.

5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I saw it years ago. Some memorable scenes but I don't recall liking it that much. Maybe worth a second look. Things to Do in Denver when You're Dead had that same effect on me, got better with a second viewing.

6. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Brad's Status

Somewhat Damaged likes this.
  7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Godzilla (1998) - watching this right now on SYFY

Oh man, I never miss this movie whenever it's on TV. It's certainly better than that 2014 reboot.

8. california_roll

california_roll Memento Mori

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane is a classic for me.

Another one that comes to mind is The Conqueror, starring John Wayne as Genghis Khan.

Also love, love Never Too Young to Die. I really thought Vanity was to die for as a kid.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I love "Monsoon Wedding." I know others who like it in my own life, but no one else who loves it like I do.

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Saw it on release and thought it was great. Not seen it since - another one that needs a re-watch!

11. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I like More American Graffiti, especially the Viet Nam and hippie segments. I thought the way each story had it's own visual style was innovative and I think the disjointed chronology would have been more accepted in the wake of Nolan and Tarantino.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Xanadu - I know, the story is a disjointed mess but it has some really great music and Olivia never looked hotter.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Bonfire Of The Vanities has long been a guilty pleasure. The critics hated it.

14. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I've seen it twice and really liked it. However, I have tried to read the novel multiple times and never finished it.

15. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Ulysses' Gaze (1995)
    I came across this one on VHS at a late, great video store in Dallas about 15 years ago. I'm fascinated by Balkans history as well as long, moody films, so this was a good combination for me. The film was trashed by critics and is not in print on DVD, at least not in my region of the planet. It's broken up on youtube, but without the very good film score.

Ulysses' Gaze - Wikipedia

16. Brother Maynard

I hate it.
    Sincerely,
    Paul Simon :D

(Seriously though, I like it.)

Scowl and carrick doone like this.
  17. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I always liked "My dinner with Andre". although my family thought it was dull.

18. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

?? Does Paul Simon hate it because Art is in it and Mike Nichols didn't use any of Paul’s songs for the soundtrack?

19. Brother Maynard

I'm being facetious. I don't know what Simon thinks of it, other than Art's participation in it furthered the rift between the two because it took a long time to film and Simon was ready to get on with recording Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  20. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I don't think I ever sat through the movie, but I did read the book. I can't see how that book could have possibly been turned into a single standalone film. It really could only translate as a miniseries, but back before Netflix etc., a miniseries on network TV would have been unsatisfactory as well. I really wish somebody would try to make another go at this on Netflix or Hulu.

If I do come across the movie somewhere, I'll make a point to watch it to find out if it really is that bad.

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I loved the 'Community' parody episode of it. Does that count?

22. Unknown Delight

Unknown Delight Alan Myers Jazz Heads Unite!

Several, but these two immediately come to mind -

'Heartbeeps' - 1981
    Andy Kaufman / Bernedette Peters
    Live action film marketed for kids about two robots falling in love.
    First saw this when it ran on cable tv in 1982 at age 11 and loved it.
    To this day, John Willaims score for this movie is one of my all time favorite film scores ever.
    Check it out sometime!

'Santa Claus - The Movie' - 1985
    David Huddleson/ John Lithgow / Dudley Moore
    Christmastime feature film telling the origin story of Santa, coupled with a story of his struggles to adapt to changing times.
    First saw this upon original theatrical release, I was 14.
    Another movie I absolutely loved...and still do to this day.
    I guess this film was much more successful in Europe then the U.S., where it has pretty much been forgotten about by everyone except me it seems.
    A well made family film with excellent and creative set design, costumes, effects, and a fabulous film score.

-

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I think it works, great opening scene with bruce willis, tom hanks is really good as the putz

24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

1) You can't really compare the two, since the 1998 movie isn't even a proper Godzilla film.

2) WTF??????? :confused: :confused:

25. JMT

JMT Senior Member

I really liked Drumline with Nick Cannon, Zoe Saldana and Orlando Jones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.