Movies you thought you'd never see on Blu-ray - but here they are!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Vinegar Syndrome...maybe getting the film out before it turns to mush...ya know that horrible vinegar smell of old rotting film.
    I guess it's an inside joke?
    thanks for the info...I've been happy with both labels so far but they can be expensive...
    which films did you work on? or if you tell you may have to...

2. Michael

Dark Angel...(I Come In Peace)

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Vinegar Syndrome rules! Very cool that you're working with them. You must be seeing some very odd things. :D

4. Michael

5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Sorry if not the right thread, but when are we going to get Round Midnight on blu-ray?

https://amzn.to/2M7oeIB

6. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Awesome! Does the Blu-ray include a Sensurround audio track to make my seat shake?

P.S. Edit ...

Just checked on Amazon. It does!!! Way cool. :cool:

-Includes the original SENSURROUND soundtrack

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The films are wild and wacky. But I've always said, "all commercially released films & TV shows should be preserved, because it's all part of history."

j_rocker, apesfan, Robert C and 3 others like this.
  8. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

It's not out until September, but I'm totally thrilled that Criterion is releasing a restored version of one of my favorite movies, My Man Godfrey. The DVD transfer is not as good as that of many other movies from the same period, so the source may not have been in great shape. I can't wait to see what they've done to it.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Criterion does terrific work, all done at their facility in NYC. Here's a 5-minute video on how they restored the 1930s Man Who Knew Too Much:

SoCalWJS, Robert C, NYMets41 and 2 others like this.
  10. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

That's a great example of an awful-looking DVD that is now available in a very acceptable Blu-ray version thanks to Criterion. A really good early Hitchcock film, too, that deserved having the "magic" applied to it (although Hitch dismissed it as "the work of an amateur").

longdist01 and Vidiot like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The warp repairs they did were pretty amazing, just about magical.

longdist01 and Robert C like this.
  12. Michael

Ghost Story

Trace and Pinknik like this.
  13. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I always hoped for Superman: The Movie to get a nice new 4K transfer and now it looks like we will in a couple of months... huzzah!!!

Hopefully, if that works out like gangbusters, they can go the original camera negatives for Richard Lester's Superman II and give that the ol' 4K spit-and-polish treatment... with the contrast and sharpness from higher resolution in addition to the slightly brighter image from HD, that film would look better than it's ever been, and I think it needs both... I always thought it looked a little 'grubbier' than it's esteemed predecessor, but the remastered Blu-ray (scanned at 2K from an IP) on the Anthology box-set looked very nice indeed... a brand new 4K transfer straight from the O-negs would be just superlative.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, that's the joke.

More than 60 so far. I shouldn't say which, but it's a lot of them. A couple of them I actually worked on back in the 1980s. They look a lot better now. :cool:

I think they did all the restoration for Blu-ray at WB MPI in 4K, so all they have to do is just release that. Bear in mind that a lot of the films of that era -- especially Superman -- use a lot of filtration and diffusion, plus 1970s anamorphic lenses, so they're soft to begin with. They're never going to really be sharp.

I don't agree that anything gets brighter in HD. This is a mastering decision, not something due to HD or 2K or 4K or any K. Brightness is just brightness; you could equate it to loudness in audio mastering. But if they did an HDR release, then the highlights would definitely get brighter.

15. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well, I never thought I'd have all four cuts (okay, one is the TV cut, but still...) of Army of Darkness on BluRay but thanks to Shout Factory having deals with Universal and MGM, that happened.

I also never thought I'd see the roadshow cut of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World on BluRay but Criterion (and Robert Harris) to the rescue.

Night of the Living Dead I thought would be stuck in PD purgatory* but again, Criterion to the rescue.

*Okay, there was that BluRay Mill Creek did right before Criterion did theirs.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  16. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

17. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Can anyone see that?^

:p

Andy Mitri likes this.
  18. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I’m hoping for pre code and 30’s Golden Era all get upgrades.

Some very clever dialog in the absence of special efffects.

19. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

Yeah, but you have to pay attention to that type of movie.

What forum is this again? :confused:

20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Based on the some of the films they've been releasing, I would've guessed the joke was a bit more "adult" in nature.... ;)
    (I'd explain the reference, but it's not really appropriate for a family forum).

Dave Garrett likes this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've read that the first pressings of that Blu-ray had some audio defects, but it was later re-issued with the problems corrected... anyone know the details?

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Cinemassacre just posted a video about this one a few days ago:

Synthfreek likes this.
  23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Already watched. :righton:

24. Michael

gotcha...

25. Michael

Leprechaun- all 7 of them...and for a great price with UV for under $20.00...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.