Movies you thought you'd never see on Blu-ray - but here they are!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

60...that's cool.

2. Michael

how is the Shout AOD compared to the Asian import Directors Cut DVD that had all the added scenes in pristine condition?

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Well as I understand it, MGM did a new 4K scan of the European theatrical cut for Shout then they reconstituted the other cuts using other sources (so the US theatrical cut has patches from Universal's HD master).

The TV cut is still SD, however.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

OK, thanks...

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Every Jess Franco film I have on BR.:D

Dudley Morris and Jimi Bat like this.
  6. Michael

Modern Times

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Heh. I always assumed it was both a film-tech and an adult reference. ;)

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, when nitrate film deteriorates, it gives off a terrible, overpowering smell like vinegar (but worse), hence the name "vinegar syndrome." The bad thing is, if you encounter nitrate film that's turned to vinegar-ish goo, at that point it's actually dangerous and can catch fire and explode. And it can't be extinguished by water: it furnishes its own oxygen, so it burns and burns and burns. I once opened up a nitrate can of a Laurel & Hardy short and it looked pretty much like this:

[​IMG]

We got that out of the building very quickly. Deteriorating nitrate film doesn't really explode, but if it catches fire and is enclosed inside of cans, then it can actually explode the can, and the fire can spread very quickly in a vault filled with nitrate film. So that would be Vinegar Syndrome gone real bad.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that's one I never thought would be out on DVD, much less BD!

I'm betting Paul Rudd's use of it on Conan's show has given it new life...

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Not impossible but it cost Paramount a crazy amount of money to do it! They had a lot of trouble locating all the reels, from what I've read, and there are still a handful of portions of scenes which were upscaled from DVD because they couldn't locate those few seconds of footage. They redid the special effects as well. That takes a lot of time, effort, and money.

I can't image the scale this entire operation must've had. Also had to completely remix the audio from the original sound tracks. From what I've read, Paramount hasn't recuperated all the money from BluRay sales. When the project started, it made sense but by the time it ended, streaming was much more favored so the market didn't favor that undertaking. Think it started in 2010 or 2011.

11. Oatsdad

It's a shame the "TNG" BDs didn't sell better. If they'd moved lots of copies, Paramount might've upgraded "DS9" and "Voyager" as well.

But there was no way they'd sink big bucks into those properties if the more popular "TNG" didn't make a profit...

12. Strat-Mangler

One of the worst films ever made and a disgustingly obvious rip-off of ET and a cash grab for McDonald's.

The whole thing's on YouTube for anyone who can stomach it. Terrible acting, production values, cheesy everything, and horrible special effects. Just horrible.

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Nicolas Roeg's Bad Timing.
    Seems to be just Region B on Blu-Ray, though there is a US DVD on Criterion.

14. Oatsdad

And I love it! One of the most delightfully awful movies ever made! :D

Synthfreek likes this.
  15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

But that's why it's awesome. Samurai Cop is one of the few films to top it for pure entertainment value.

Pinknik likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

I know some people watch bad movies for laughs and such but that ain't me. I'll watch a comedy or stand-up to laugh but when I put in a movie that isn't *supposed* to be a comedy, I want it to be good.

17. Oatsdad

I'm usually with you, but there's something about the awfulness of "Mac and Me" that I find endearing...

18. Michael

ah, that's terrible...pretty scary stuff...

19. Michael

Night Of The Grizzly!

20. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Liquid Sky
    Come Back To The Five And Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean

21. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

October 16th - Batman The Animated Series.

22. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Please tell me this is a photo-shop job... :wtf:

23. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

All this crap on Blu and still waiting on classic Laurel & Hardy. WTH?

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It’s sitting on a table three feet away from me.

Oatsdad likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I did that 4K restoration of Liquid Sky with DP Yuri Neyman, and we spent over 100 hours meticulously adjusting the camera negative to look the best it's ever been. I was surprised to see the recent reviews of the digital release were so positive. That's a strange movie, but it has some really striking, interesting images. Very challenging, because they used a lot of neon lighting, which is traditionally hard to tame in film.

That's an example of a digital restoration that went to both Blu-ray and as a 2K and 4K DCI release to theaters.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.