Moving Cross Country - bins vs boxes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Stevie Bee, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stevie Bee

Stevie Bee Member Thread Starter

So I'm moving from nyc to california in a few weeks. I have about 500 records. I will also be leaving my records in storage for 3-4 months after I get to cali so need something that is good for my uhaul move but also can be stacked and not damage the records for a 3-4 month period of being stacked on one another. I bought 4 of something similar to these but am worried if the top cracks, then most of that bin could be totally screwed. I heard people using the Uhaul small boxes or the home depot ones as well but wondering how well those would hold up for a 3-4 month period of being stacked 3 boxes high. Am I safe with the bins or should I switch over to the boxes to avoid potential disaster?

Thanks!
    Steve

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

https://www.vinylrevival.com/packing/

Scroll down and look at the "LP moving boxes". Those are the best boxes I've found. They are strong enough to stack and will withstand cross country shipping via UPS Ground.

3. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

4. Stevie Bee

Stevie Bee Member Thread Starter

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

6. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

If the Uhaul boxes are packed full they are stackable and nearly indestructible. I moved 3k records cross country and kept them stored for a year in these boxes. I have friends who have done similarly. Records are not as fragile as most people here make them out to be.

Dennis0675 and clhboa like this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I moved from NY metro to Texas several years ago. Used double walled boxes (I think from Bags Unlimited) for approximately 5,000 records. Packed 'em myself. The movers handled them, truck to secure climate controlled storage vault on their facility, held in the NorthEast for about 4 months, then long haul via 18 wheeler to Austin, where records were off-loaded by local affiliate at our new/old house. Not an issue with any. I kept a few boxes for storage of other things, but got rid of most of them once the records were unpacked. Very sturdy, used that mylar type tape to seal 'em up. I assume they were stacked, both in the truck and in the storage vault at the mover's facility. The boxes were packed pretty tightly, and in each, I used a couple cardboard blanks or dead jackets as end-cap buffers. I also created a "log" of what was in each numbered box. Made it easier to unpack and sort when the time came. I didn't have to go to the gym for a while.

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Geez, the care in this description sounds like storing nuclear waste! :laugh:

9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Lotta hi-value records in there-- almost complete Vertigo Swirl catalog, UK pink label catalog, lots of desirable pressings- from LZ 45 rpm to multiple RLs of II to white labels of a lot of early Warner Bros green labels; most of the rare jazz I've bought since I got here, but lots of out of print stuff, from the EMI ASDs and RCA doggies to fancy audiophile stuff I bought back in the day. I got rid of far more than I moved-- some to a broker, several thousand records were just given away. All of it was insured but still, having to replace some of that stuff would be a real PITA.
    When I transport nuclear waste, I just throw it in the trunk of an old car. No biggie.
    PS: thank goodness you aren't married to me-my poor wife has to put up with my OCD-ness.

SirMarc likes this.
  10. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I've have most of my collection in 14 inch square boxes with hardboard stiffeners. Two vertical stiffeners are cut to reinforce two sides of the box (and keep the box from bowing) so they can be stacked four high without buckling. Home depot has double wall heavy duty boxes, which should be ok, however still should add a bottom stiffener to those. The plastic bins should work ok too, but I think a bottom stiffener would help keep the bins "square" and keep the album corners from damage.

Stiffener panels are a necessity!

The most common form of damage to LP's in transit, and in storage is the bowing of the box bottom and sides. Stiffener panels will prevent damage to the covers. These can be hardboard, 3/8 or 1/4 inch thick, or hard foam insulation... as this material is lightweight and very stiff... it does not bend. Use a razor knife for cutting the hard foam, not a saw, as it produces hazardous dust, then tape closed the ends with 2 inch packaging tape to seal them. Hardboard is easier to work with, cut with a saw, but it is heavy.

Other potential damage and caveats:
    I always instruct everyone carrying my LP boxes to settle the boxes, never do the "short drop". Even from 6 inches off the floor, the "short drop" splits inner sleeves.
    Secondly, the records need to be stored in a climate controlled storage area. The fast track to ruined LP covers is in a non-climate controlled metal building.

Bill Hart likes this.
  11. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I can tell you from personal experience you can stack these with no problems and no risk of crushing. I have had them stacked 5 high with no issues at all. Also consider that your records in these boxes are stored vertically, which is optimal.

IGD Positive likes this.
  12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

RE: the Bags Unlimited Corrugated PLASTIC boxes, I use them for storage (non-stacked) but have never attempted to move with them. A friend of mine used them for a couple cross country moves, but I don't know how high he stacked them.

13. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

I moved 1500 records across country using the UHaul boxes. Stacked them no problem - they were in storage for @ 2 months

jeffsab likes this.
  14. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

Yes, absolutely. They are very sturdy. And I stacked mine at least five high.

pscreed likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.