Multiple Voices Effect??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by david3217, Dec 2, 2019.

1. david3217

david3217 New Member Thread Starter

Hello.

Currently I'm trying to crack a particular audio effect where one voice is created from the same dialogue of many different people. Is there a particular name for this effect and how would you recommend doing this? I'm trying to do it in a whisper-like, almost ASMR ish voice to hopefully get a very similar tone from the people in the audio, though the primary thing I think is going to be a issue would be syncing up the words as people are likely going to be speaking in various paces.

Thoughts? Have you seen this done before and if so, do you have any points of references or links to similar things being done?

Thanks!

2. BRODNATION

BRODNATION The Future Never Dies because Tomorrow Never Knows

how many voices are we trying to layer up?

how long of a clip are you trying to create?

david3217 likes this.
  3. Toad of the Short Forest

Toad of the Short Forest Forum Resident

Like one voice created from other voices spliced together? I would recommend using Audacity to splice the individual words from different people and then put them together on a single track how you want from there. The result should sound like one continuous dialogue but from multiple people.

Or if you mean layering each voice on top of the other then that is as simple as just importing all of the tracks in Audacity (or some other DAW) and aligning/mixing them how you want. This would sound like a bunch of voices all on top of each other. The hard part would be splicing the actual words together so it doesn't sound jumbled (unless that's what you're going for)... in Audacity you could splice together individual words and then align the individual words so the tracks are said at the same time. The only problem with that is if some people talk slower than others, in which case you would have to adjust the speed which isn't too clean or easy.

Depending on the effect you want, you could play around with the panning a bit since that seems to be pretty common in ASMR.

david3217 likes this.
  4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

On paper, this seems logical - but it doesn't work. When any 1 person says a complete sentence, there are all kinds of nuanced pauses, phrasing, word and syllable emphasis and more. Our brains take all that for granted when we listen to a person speak. When you chop up a sentence - or several sentences - and try to piece it back together from several different sources, it sounds like exactly what it is: a confusing, disjointed, and obviously artificial attempt at speech.

Someone asked me to do this for them years ago and within 5 to 10 minutes I saw how hopeless it was - honestly, it sounds terrible and not in the least like what you want.

5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Note - my previous post was a reply to another poster and that person's ideas, BUT as far as the OP's question - I've read it and re-read it and I'm not clear at all on what his goal is here.

david3217 likes this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Do you want to create a single voice that is a composite of a bunch of other voices?

Or do you want several different voices each saying part of a line of dialogue?

This is confusing me.

BRODNATION likes this.
  7. david3217

david3217 New Member Thread Starter

thankyou guys so much!!

Tim S likes this.
  8. BRODNATION

BRODNATION The Future Never Dies because Tomorrow Never Knows

Do you want this to be stereo or mono?

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Are you suggesting, some sort of "reverse chorus" effect? You may find, after achieving it, it could be far too subtle for your ends, and you may want to add some actual "chorusing" back into it, so it will stand out.

BRODNATION likes this.
  10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Choral dialog.