Murder Most Foul - New Bob Dylan Song- #1 hit!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerryb, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Nah. It can't hold a candle to anything on Love & Theft or Modern Times.

NYMets41, YardByrd and Brian Mc like this.
  2. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Even Levee gonna Break, Beyond the Horizon, Tweedles or Bye & Bye??

3. Absolutely. The last two songs you quote are great!

YardByrd likes this.
  4. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Ha! More guilty pleasures for me than anything else altho do love both L&T and MT.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

"I liked your book. That's the weird thing about it."
    —Bob Dylan

6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Best cover of it I've heard !
    Cheers.

SteveM and Claudio Dirani like this.
  7. Brilliant video! At the height of my Dylan peak in the 80s I doubt I could have sung a word perfect rendition of Desolation Row so fair play to this guy driving and singing MMF.

Count me impressed!

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Interesting hypothetical scene:

Murder Most Foul is a song Dylan wrote and planned to perform as his Nobel Prize acceptance.

Just for imagination sake.

Blue Note, sekaer and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Without reading through the last 50+ pages that I missed, I have a theory:

I think this song was pieced together over multiple sessions. There's two reasons I think this is the case:

1. People "in the know" insist that this is a Tempest outtake, despite the clear (to some of us, anyway) signs that it's a more recent recording
    2. After listening multiple times, I can clearly hear two different piano performances in the mix.

So if it's indeed a Tempest outtake, I believe that a basic bedrock performance was either recorded during those sessions and overdubbed-upon more recently, or it was re-recorded completely later. Either way, I think there are two piano parts -- one is basic chords (obviously Bob, driving the cues for the song that the band is following -- you can hear chords rushing before certain downbeats), and one more complex, with arpeggios and fills (likely by another player, and added later, as Bob's piano playing tends to be more rudimentary with some missed notes etc.). I believe that the earlier take was used as a framework, to overdub certain elements later, and then some of the earlier elements were taken out. Were the drums original? possibly. But I think the arco bass and violin (viola?) are from a later take, to properly and confidently follow Bob's cues. And the more elaborate piano was added later. Bob's vocals? Possibly original, but also likely swapped out later.

I know this seems antithetical to how Bob likes to work, but this is a unique piece of music that required some care to get right. Anyone disagree with my take?

10. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I don't disagree with it. I am no Bob expert, but the above theory, on the surface, does make sense.

11. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

12. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

SPARTACUS, jimbo3688, highway and 2 others like this.
  13. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

So "Wiggle Wiggle" is a masterpiece just because it's Bob's work?

I don't think so.

NYMets41 likes this.
  14. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

Perhaps you are right. But it is a piece of work by a master and just like people know the worst Shakespeare over most playwrights best works before and since it will be poured over for as long as the name is Dylan is revered which looks to be hundreds of years at least. Then again, every master has crap work. And yet its somehow still a little bit interesting. IMO anyway.

SPARTACUS likes this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

When was the last time anyone who’s not a professional Shakespeare scholar read Timon of Athens? In the real world, people don’t know the worst Shakespeare over Hedda Gabler or Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

I agree that a great artist’s bad work can have some interest, but Dylan doesn’t great a free pass just for being Dylan. Although his batting average is far higher than that of most other songwriters, not every song he has ever written is automatically great just because he is Bob Dylan.

16. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

A song like Wiggle Wiggle doesn't automatically become great because it's written by Bob Dylan, but it does automatically become interesting (to me at least) because it's a part of his journey

buymeamercury and Spencer R like this.
  17. Fishleehooke

Fishleehooke Forum Resident

I never said it was remotely great. I said it was the historical definition of a masterpiece. Here is a dictionary entry. Dylan's new song may or may not be the first way of using Masterpiece, but sure as hell is the 2nd.

mas·ter·piece
    /ˈmastərˌpēs/
    Learn to pronounce

noun
    1. a work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship.
      "a great literary masterpiece"

Similar:
      triumph
      a triumph of togetherness" data-hw="triumph" data-lb="" data-tae="false" data-te="false" data-tl="en-US" data-tldf="" data-url="/search?client=safari&channel=mac_bm&sxsrf=ALeKk01tDSLwHRLxW0cIgXaf_u4qVYtQvg:1592140636281&q=define+triumph&forcedict=triumph&dictcorpus=en-US">
      coup

marvelous feat
      feather in one's cap
      wonder

sensation

outstanding example
      paragon

great work
      showpiece

gem

prize

tour de force

hit

knockout

Opposite:
      failure
      • HISTORICAL
        a piece of work by a craftsman accepted as qualification for membership of a guild as an acknowledged master.

18. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

jamesmaya likes this.
  19. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Play "Mystery Train" for Mr. Mystery
    The man who fell down dead like a rootless tree

Oof. Tough words about Elvis there.

20. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I don’t think he’s talking about Elvis. I think he’s talking about Kennedy

21. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

So not surprising that gatekeeper "historian" Douglas Brinkley got the big "get" to interview him for The New York Times, and asked him about Murder Most Foul without bringing up, you know, what Dylan says about the assassination. New York Times, still covering up sixty years later--good job, Grey Old Bag :edthumbs:

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  22. cvila

cvila Senior Member

Prescient lyric and timely question.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

And yet ...

24. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Apologies if this has already been discussed up thread but this "number 1 hit record" is a bit of a stretch. It was a #1 digital download. The #2 song was REO Speedwagon's "Time For Me to Fly" - because it was used on an episode of Ozark.

fluffskul likes this.
  25. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Just now had the chance to really listen to this.
    Dang it, Dylan proves he's worthy of his status.
    Wow.

Nick Brook, sbeaupre, lordcat and 9 others like this.