Murfie is gone, and so are all the CDs people sent to them

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pathosdrama, Dec 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident Thread Starter

DavidD, sunspot42 and patient_ot like this.
  2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I never used the service, but it sound like something the Wisconsin Attorney General (or however their Consumer Protections dept is structured) should be notified of.

3. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Sending your whole collection to a company to store?Ummm...no...

Ro-Go, milankey, paulybauls and 38 others like this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Never heard of this company. Yikes.

muletrane, Tim 2, caracallac and 4 others like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The business model sounded fine until I noticed it allowed streaming of the ripped content. All that bandwith costs money. With the popularity of streaming going upwards with every year, my guess is the bandwith costs offset any profit they could ever make so they ultimately decided to shut down entirely.

If a company were to simply rip the audio and allow for a one-time download of all the data, that'd be one thing. Streaming would just kill most businesses. Netflix, for instance, has been bleeding money every year. You gain nothing by allowing streaming of content in this case, really.

uzn007, Exotiki and Sneaky Pete like this.
  6. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

No way would I allow an outside vendor to "store" my cd collection. This fiasco was inevitable in the long run.

Ro-Go, clhboa, all24bits and 18 others like this.
  7. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Let alone a company with that name ... :rolleyes:

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Brought up on the forum a few times over the years.
    Why anyone (consumer) would think this was a good idea is beyond me.
    Hmm, funny, I picked up a large old BOC lot on the bay recently for less than three bucks per disc :laugh:

caracallac, uzn007 and patient_ot like this.
  9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Never trust The Cloud.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

"For years, thousands of people paid a Madison-based company, named Murfie, to rip, stream, and store their CDs, vinyl, and cassettes."

Never heard of this before - just proves there's a sucker born every second. :shake:

11. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Me neither...

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The guy that has all those CDs is going to be the next Geoff Bazos when the CD revival happens. It's too bad that guy won't be able to listen to them in his car, I heard a rumor cars don't come with CD players anymore.

13. The Wall

The Wall Forum Resident

According to Madison.com:

"Customers can estimate the cost of having their discs returned with this formula: $100 plus $0.45 per disc. The email provided a link to a return request form that must be filled out by the end of the day on Monday [Dec 2?]. If customers don’t respond, their collections will be considered abandoned, and recycled by the end of the year."

$100.45 PER DISK!

14. I think this means $100 for the intial action of packaging, shipping, handling and such, with a $0.45 adder for each disc.
    300 discs = $135, plus the initial $100 rate. Total $235 to get your stored 300 discs returned to you...hopefully, but probably not.

scobb, bloodlemons, MGW and 5 others like this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That explains why you "liked" the OP's post. ;)
    Not good news. Not something to "like". It's like "liking" a RIP post.

I had heard of Murfie and was familiar with what they were doing. I never used their service, or considered using the service since I know how to rip CDs myself and would prefer to do it myself.

The people who sent their CDs to Murfie will have the ripped content from those CDs. So they're not out of the music they sent. But looks like they likely will be out of the CDs they sent. One of the other services they offered was to sell the used CDs that were sent it. That's one reason why people didn't have Murfie send their CDs back immediately.

16. JohnCarter17

JohnCarter17 Forum Resident

Try again after reading it again.

somnar likes this.
  17. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Yup, what could go wrong?

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How do you get $100.45 per disc out of "$100 plus $0.45 per disc."? That would only be true if referring to 1 disc.

somnar, Cue Burn, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  19. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I am fighting this every day with my IT consultant. Not sure why folks can not seen to understand that there is no cloud, there is just a big wire and you are at the mercy of whatever is at the other end.

20. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

You could probably argue that server space for hire, like Amazon, provides a computing cloud. If I have a service I can run it there and not have to buy my own server and Internet connection. I think the term was first used extensively in the mid to late 70s.

caracallac likes this.
  21. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

Terrible..

22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I really hope that the people who were using this services can get compensated somehow. That's just plain crazy. I assume that they were paying storage fees every month? And then they were given a relatively tiny window during which they could essentially "buy back" their collections for a fee that would easily exceed $200 if they had more than 200 CD's? I have to wonder what was explained to the customers up front about returning the collections to their owners. I would have never wanted to use such a service but I can't be too critical of these people who basically were robbed of their collections. Somebody obviously decided to get out from under and keep every penny they could.

slovell likes this.
  23. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

[​IMG]

p.s. not referring to you as old (I agree with you) :hide: Just reminds me of this pic :uhhuh:

scobb, Cue Burn, Bingo Bongo and 8 others like this.
  24. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

While I agree with the consensus here, if I had 500 CDs and only wanted to stream my music, I might see this as an alternative to buying a NAS and spending 500 hours ripping them. Of course, now they are stuck, but at the time it might have seemed like a great idea.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I can see the attraction of having a service rip all your CDs but the whole "we store them for you indefinitely" angle is just a big open manhole waiting to open under one's feet.

JosepZ, Bingo Bongo, pscreed and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.