Music Direct Shipping Speed

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Myke, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

As great as their customer service is, I can't help but notice how long it takes between ordering and shipping.

June 17th order of 3 albums marked as In Stock, took 19 days to finally ship. Another 5 for USPS = 24 days after ordering.

July 16th, order of 3, 2 are pre orders, and I chose ship as available. Marked Shippable, nothing yet. 8 days.

Both orders were using a 20% off code, and qualified for free shipping.

On that first order up there, I sent them a very polite e-mail asking what was the delay ?
    I got a very polite response basically saying it'll ship when it ships.

Any other current customers of theirs seen a slow-down ?
    OH ! And one of the albums says on it's product page In Stock Ships Today ! :help:

2. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Must just be your luck. I took advantage of their 20% off sale (plus no tax and free shipping) on July 16 to order the Dylan Blonde on Blonde MOFI box set. Package shipped the very next day! And, according to USPS tracking, it's scheduled for delivery on Thursday the 26th. Total from start to finish = 10 days. Not too shabby for media mail.

3. Myke

Looking at my e-mailed receipt, plus your post pushed me to e-mail them again, asking why the delay ?

1 LDP58708 Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits (180g Vinyl 2LP)
    Availability: In Stock: Ships 7/17/2018 $27.99

4. Myke

So I just heard back, and they were holding it until another record in my order made the entire shipment reach the $49 threshold for free shipping. I was given the option to pay an additional $4.00 so it could ship now, but with August 10th right around the corner, I chose to wait.

So they're just covering themselves. Guess they don't want people ordering enough for free shipping, having a lesser amount ship out on their dime, then having the customer cancel the rest.
    Good to know.

5. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I have an order in with them right now. I preordered 2 lps on 6/18 with a release date of 6/29 and two in-stock items. On 7/3 one of my in-stock items became "backordered" and the two preordered lps became a "2-3 week wait." I emailed them the other day wondering where my order stands, and their reply was they "Hope" to get the two preordered items by "Mid August" and thanked me for my patience...… reassuring me that "You won't be billed until they ship"...….. Seriously?

How does 6/29 release date and mid August delivery equate to top notch customer service?

6. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

I ordered the "James Gang Best Of", "Steppenwolf Gold" (both lps) and Supertramp B.I.A. (sacd). They had all 3 in stock on 8/8 and listed on my web order as "Shippable"..... Today, 8/15, they are still listed as "Shippable" but on their website the James Gang no longer says "Ships Today" but instead says "Leaves Our Warehouse in 2-3 Weeks, and the Steppenwolf says "usually ships in 3-7 days" WTF!!
    I just sent another email asking them to cancel the Supertramp and to reduce the James Gang from Two Copies to One. This is ridiculous, especially when you pre-order and wait a month and a half. This is the second or third time they have dragged their feet on one of my orders, and could very well end up being the last time.

I'm starting to "bake the cookies of discontent" :realmad:

Dave likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Music Direct is the only one of the big 4 audiophile retailers I've had a terrible experience with (note I haven't ordered from SSD in several years). They lied a few times about shipping a Sound-Smith cartridge to me. All around several months of hassle trying to gauge the status of it and even having to go to the manufacturer, who was fantastic and apologetic.

Elusive Disc accurately stated on their website that it was made to order, which is why I ordered from Music Direct, where status said it was shipping.

8. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I got the James Gang LP from them this week along with some Audio Intelligent cleaning solutions. My order shipped the day it was placed. Sorry you’re running into issues.

9. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

They did reply to me, apologized for the delay and changed my order from four items to two. Then they upgraded my shipping from usps to Fedex ground.
    It didn't make me feel any better...…. it was just a cop-out and a weak excuse for forgetting.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Music Direct, so far, has been pretty good about shipping if the item is in stock. I have been ordering from MD for years. MD sends partial orders without added expense, allows discounts on pre-orders, and doesn't charge until item is shipped. Most of the time I can reach them via phone and get answers to questions about pending orders. Media mail sucks in MA, so I try to avoid that.

Dan Steele likes this.
  11. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Always super fast to ship my orders. Very quick and responsive.

12. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Agreed, I'm surprised to hear these issues members have experienced - they have always been great with my orders.

13. Christopher Sims

Christopher Sims Forum Resident

They've ship orders when all the albums are in, I've had a few orders take a bit longer then normal but I've gotten great service from them. Lost a cord to my Marantz CD player and they sent out a new one free of charge. And I don't think any online audio dealers have a better return policy.

14. dannylin

dannylin Active Member

Well, from what I known, they seemed to have several warehouses. When the product stated "In Stock Ships Today !" I guess it only means they have it in the closest warehouse and can be ship without backorder or dispatched from different warehouses. Not sure. But generally speaking, they're good in terms of service quality.

But you can always ask them when to ship your order. Tell them it's for your wife or girlfriend's birthday gift. Haa.

oopap likes this.
  15. Myke

I have asked for this thread to be padlocked, as I got my answer back in July, and no longer need quotes, and alerts from this finished thread.

sw61139 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.