“Music is moving away from genres” says Spotify CEO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

latest genre:

Post-Genre

;)

segue, eddiel and AlanDistro like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Genres change and blend and splinter but there will never be a situation where there are no genres. As long as people talk about music, there will be genres. Would you want to do research in a genre-free library? I wouldn't.

3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I thought music was moving towards the corporate, ****ty EDM for the brainless that Spotify is always promoting.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Here's what this is:

Spotify has spent BILLIONS trying to wear down the competition by offering free streaming at a loss. It's the one and ONLY reason that they have more subscribers than any other streaming service. It still hasn't worked. Google, Apple and Microsoft, plus several less deep pocketed competitors are still here--running companies with much closer attention to the bottom line (read: no free streaming).

So what do you do when you're wasting billions trying to be the last man standing and the other men are still standing? You start to try to monetize the only thing you're getting out of all that wasted spending: Big(er) data.

It may well be that with the bigger data, Spotify is able to produce better predictive playlists than the competition, i.e. something (other than free) that differentiates their service. Whether that amounts to a hill of beans in terms of ever turning a profit is another question entirely.

5. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I think the main takeaway point here, is that over a year later and after much bitching and moaning by seemingly bitter, middle-aged men...you can still browse music by (traditional) genres in Spotify, if you so desire. It's sitting there quite happily alongside their 'lifestyle choices'; it's not a binary thing, you can have both.

eddiel likes this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[​IMG]
    "Nobody I know will every take my traditional genres away from me."

7. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Exactly! And it's like those really casual music fans who say "I listen to everything.." then you put on a 30 minute Grateful Dead "Dark Star" from 1969 and they are running out of the room with their ears covered.

Tuco likes this.
  8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well you can't really blame them for that IMO. They'd probably stick around for "Casey Jones", "Truckin'" and "Touch of Grey" though.

9. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    enro99 likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I don't use Spotify, but I don't have an issue putting my iPod on random, and hearing everything from Metal, to Classical Music, to Country, to Beatles. Or sometimes, not.........

Tuco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.