Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

The 45 of Matador is sublime.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I listened to it the other day. The biggest issue is on the opening track. After that is the issue heard again? I love Sonny, I love the music on Newk’s Time. This is not a perfect RVG recording and I think KG and SH did the best they could with it without going digital. I can’t say I highly recommend it due to the price point and track one having the issue with the drums fading in and out. But I do Enjoy it. I’d say to compare it to the tone poet warble issue. If you find it a travesty and sonic abortion, then yeah skip it. If you find the issue on black fire noticeable but doesn’t affect your enjoyment or how good they made they rest of it sound, then take a chance on it.

3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Just curious do you hear what sounds like a tape defect on disk 2. It sounds like a low buzzing sound. It only runs when you hear the tape running, between tracks it disappears and it's only on disk 2 (sides 3 and 4). I figured it might be be part of the tapes.

4. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Me as well on one of the Elusive disc finds of a numbered edition. It is wonderful.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Sorry, but I can't resist another rave for this one. At $49.95 I would just get this awesome record. The sound alone almost warrants having it in your collection, plus the music is just incredible as can be (ever so cool) and it's in mono. One of my favorites! And the more you hear it, the more it grows on you. Nice list by the way.

Admerr likes this.
  6. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Hey @scotti, the way you keep plugging this one; if I didn’t know better I’d wonder if your on a kick-back for helping them shift surplus stock:cheers:

Seriously though, I really should find the time to check it out; I’m sure it helps change the mood from too much straight hard bop.

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! It's just been a while that I got something that hit me like this one. I think it's my old music retail blood in me still trying to promote records I get excited about. Still not sure about the album cover though, but it's what's inside the grooves that matters most.

If I may share a pretty cool moment here. Last night while I was playing some MMJ titles for the wife, we decided to go spend sometime in our sweet spot listening together and she looks at me and says, I think I'm finally hearing why you love your Jazz so much, because all of a sudden this music has just hit me in a way that I never imagined, it's like some kind of deep dark magical place where everything sounds ever so special. I just smiled and said, your in SRX land.

8. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I hear the drums fading/phasing in every track at least a little bit - often a lot. I find it extremely distracting. I have many of the Tone Poet releases and haven’t noticed much/any piano warble (a touch on Cornbread), but I have avoided Black Fire specifically because so many have complained about it and because I’m not so hot on that record.

9. guidedbyvoices

Have you tried Newks Time with mono button engaged? On headphones I still hear the issue on track one, but much less noticeable, and don't notice it at all on the rest.

10. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

It's a great record. I also really like the album cover, too. It's interesting how much the cover art influences me. Goin' Up, for example, is a great record that I took way too long to get into because I don't like the album photo. And don't even get me started on Smithville!

scotti likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

For some strange reason, (Patterns In Jazz) the cover makes me think of the Jutta Hipp with Zoot Sims jacket which I do like better. Oh that creative mind of Reid Miles. He's given us some memorable designs no doubt!

TheoJ and ryu like this.
  12. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

I would prefer the 33. The non-jazz 45s I bought quite a few years ago never get played. They're all The Doors albums from AP and two Grateful Dead from MoFi . I've found 33s for all of those 45s too. Maybe I should give them another chance. Admittedly, I have to manually change the belt speed, so part of it has to do with not wanting to handle the belt with the oils from my hands and moving the platter. One day I can see upgrading the turntable to automatic speed change taking that anxiety away making it easier.

I am half tempted to get the 45 MM of Matador, but also aware of not giving in to my self-delusion of saying I'll play it when there's a good chance I won't.

guidedbyvoices, ryu and Sneezyachew like this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

for better or for worse, my 45 buying habit increased dramatically when I went from a manual belt that needed to be lifted onto a different setting, to the push of a button automatic speed changer with the technics. I found that I was avoiding buying 45’s, and the few I had I would not bother to play. The technics definitely opened up the wallet to 45’s that’s for sure.

Levi's Tubs, IanL, musictoad and 7 others like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I love my TT. I customized the one I have (listed in profile) and had the speeds set perfectly by my HiFi shop (fortunate to have an awesome store here) and playing 45's has never been easier. I do plan on upgrading at some time, but for now I'm pretty happy. I have the Rock titles you have mentioned and they sound fantastic, especially my favorite Doors record "Morrison Hotel". You really owe it to yourself to get "Matador", but I do respect your view about spinning 45's.

15. ThirtyThree1/3

That is awesome. For that very reason, I haven't sold the 45's. I can see that happening for me too. It really would make it easier. If I had waited 6 months to a year to buy the turntable I have, I would have had the upgraded model with automatic speed change. I am glad to hear it's not just me who avoid playing their 45's, but it's ashame because it closes the door on a lot of great music.
    Great turntable and setup! Do you have automatic or manual speed change? I agree, when I did play my Doors albums they sounded unbelievable and I just can't let them go. I can also foresee letting them go and immediately regretting it, they go out of print, and skyrocket in price. I may get Matador, also because at $65, it's half the price of the secondary market 33MM. I will spend the rest of the day battling my inner voice :wantsome::cheers:

MisterBritt and recstar24 like this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

The way we all talk about Tina Brooks on here, I'm really surprised that Back on the Tracks, True Blue 45, True Blue 33, True Blue 33 blue vinyl - none of these have sold out, and only the blue vinyl upgrade is in the $70+ zone.

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

With the simple press of a button I can go from 33 to 45 and back, and say if a 33 was recorded a bit slower (Stones "Beggars" as an example) I can adjust that speed as well all though I have rarely ever done that.

ThirtyThree1/3 likes this.
  18. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I've been fighting insomnia lately and I'm not sure what happened to me last night but i woke up with a full cart of fun items. Maybe I was sleep shopping and making a cart while I dreamt about all the advice on the forum. Apparently this is what my sleepy self desires and it's not cheap but maybe i'll grab a few of these since May is a 3 paycheck month :)

GG - Gooden's Corner
    GG - Matador

HH - Speak Like a Child
    KB - Freedom
    AB - Like Someone in Love
    SC - Leapin and Loppin
    GM - Patterns in Jazz (purely based on Scotti!)
    ST - Jubilee Shout

NorthNY Mark, beyondmiles and scotti like this.
  19. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Grab the Rega TTPSU for your P3 and start enjoying those 45’s. It’s worth the investment.

20. ThirtyThree1/3

That's incredible about being able to adjust a slower speed for Banquet. I love that album. Okay, I may have to look into upgrading the TT since I am missing out on some great 45's.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome list! I'm so on the fence with Speak Like A Child, but it's Herbie and I will most likely give in and grab it one day....My copy of Jubilee Shout should be arriving any day now, can't wait!

22. ThirtyThree1/3

Holy crap I had no idea this even existed. Mind. Blown. Way cheaper than an upgraded TT. That is crazy thank you!

Admerr likes this.
  23. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Right?! I feel like I’d regret not getting this one because of the price. I didn’t get Mode for Joe for the same reason and regret that. This album is so much Herbie piano that I have to assume it’ll sound blissful.

let me know how you feel about Jubilee Shout sonically if you don’t mind

NorthNY Mark and scotti like this.
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

For those digging the Gille Melle release allow me to recommend an album of his that I think is one of the most underrated and mind blowing jazz records of all time. The OJC version sounds incredible and is cheap. This album is absolutely WILD for 1956. Heck, it would have still been wild when Moncur and McLean and all the mid '60s stuff that we often discuss here was coming out.

Patterns is great, but it is Melle being pretty straight ahead. If you like more experimental stuff I cannot rate this highly enough. It's still very melodic but the compositions and arrangements are absolutely insane.

Gil Melle Quartet* - Melle Plays Primitive Modern

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I remember catching myself a few times not bothering with a title because they didn’t have a 33 counterpart, and that’s when I realized how important it was that your deck is easy enough/versatile enough to use to not impede playback of whatever quality music you may purchase. The last thing I wanted was for my gear to be holding me back from actually quality music.

As long as your wallet is OK with it, you only live once!