Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

My first few MM's were purchased when I still was using a uTurn Orbit with built in phono and ortofon OM10 I believe. It didn't take too many MM's for them to be more expensive than my TT/Cart LOL. I very much enjoyed the sound and never felt the setup itself was damaging/hurting the records (based on me not hearing any distortion/mistracking). The biggest reason why I even started thinking of upgrading was that I originally was limiting myself to 33's as I didn't want to have to bother manually lifting and changing the belt to change from 33-45, which led me down a very dark hole and ultimately sprung for a technics 1200GR. At the time, it was clear that the better machine/cart/phono really highlighted my handful of MM's even more, but I treat that more as a side effect, as I really did enjoy my uTurn Orbit.

To further your OT, one of the things I've reflected on in my audio journey is that once I started getting into vinyl, my purchasing habits changed. When I first started getting serious about audio, I was listening exclusively to CD's and the occasional download, but for whatever reason focused more on my gear and constantly upgrading. With vinyl, I focus my budget almost exclusively on buying records (much to my wife's chagrin), and have actually upgraded very little in terms of my gear, in the past two years I've made one significant upgrade.

If you're enjoying your MM's, and your current TT and cart is setup correctly where you're not hearing distortion and mistracking, by all means keep on enjoying! If you do plan on upgrading, it appears like your heart is in the right place, in that you'd be upgrading to serve your music collection and wanting to highlight its strengths even moreso.

2. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

This is all helpful. I probably understated my equipment as I have upgraded some parts and I can definitely hear a major difference between a MMJ vs a bn75 vs a bn80 (though some bn80 are quite good) and have a hard time not playing my MMJs so I think I’m answering my own question.

I think I’m now addicted to incredible sound so I’m evaluating everything that would up the level

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  3. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

we sound very similar. This is how I’ve been thinking about it. I definitely would like to more easily switch between 33 and 44 also. Thanks!!

recstar24 likes this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The more I thought about it, I would keep buying as many as these amazing sounding records before they go up even more in price. You can upgrade along the way.

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Hi Theo -
    I started a few years ago on this thread with an ATLP120, a schiit mani, an AT440mlb, and A5+ powered speakers in a small office, sometimes ATH50x headphones and a schiit magni. Nothing by itself over $200. I could absolutely hear the improvement of an MMJ vs a BN75. I thought I would just get 1 or 2 as "deluxe" versions of my favorites at the time, but it quickly made me want to buy more for the sound, and eventually upgrade a lot of pieces in my system one at a time - better preamp, better (quieter) turntable, a little better headphones etc. I wouldnt drop a $60 record on a crosley, or an ATLP60 without being able to set the tracking force, but anything above that should be ok to start with. As you improve your set up, you'll get more detail and that realism that is so addictive.

6. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Buy as many records as you can (especially MMJ or equivalent)...
    Upgrade your equipment...
    Buy more records....
    Upgrade your equipment....
    Buy more records...
    (repeat)

Yeah sounds about right.

*edit - I forgot to add... Buy a VPI RCM...

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Glad to hear! If you were so inclined, you could update your profile information to include your audio setup, just so that others could see what you're using. You don't have to, but I know the moderators on these forums traditionally encourage updating your profile info.

8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Mine has been more like:

Buy as many MMJ's as you can
    Buy more records
    Buy more records
    Buy even more MMJ's, ones that you thought you didn't need but clearly you are addicted at this point
    buy more records
    buy more records
    upgrade equipment
    repeat (currently in the buy more records phase)

9. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Yeah, me too! The " buy more records" stage is a lot longer!

recstar24 likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks so much for this post! I almost forgot to order more records today. I was excited thinking about what is on the way this afternoon and it slipped my mind. You about sent me into a panic mode, and I'm serious as can be!

TheoJ and recstar24 like this.
  11. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

My progression as well. I've had both entry and mid-level gear, and the MMJ's always sounded better. The challenge is that audiophile vinyl wets the appetite for equipment that can extract every last detail out of those grooves. :)

Dignan2000, scotti and recstar24 like this.
  12. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

@scotti I'm excited to get your thoughts on One Flight Up.

I've got a couple coming today as well. The MM 33 of Undercurrent and the AP 45 of Lee-Way. Pumped for both! Think I'll enjoy them with some Jamison and dark chocolate after dinner later tonight.

GreatTone likes this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just got my records and ready for some great sounding Jazz. Got my Rock/Blues fix in over the weekend (still got some Jazz in there) but I have Lee Morgan's "Candy" playing right now and sounding sweet as can be. I got #2053 of "One Flight Up" and was wondering if you knew how many of those were actually pressed?

Most likely will start with Jubilee Shout!!!, then some Jackie, and encoring with Dex. By the way that Jamison sounds mighty tasty. I'm only allowed to drink beer (doc's order) because of my bleeding disorder, but hey, better to be safe and hanging out with "Spuds" ain't so bad...

Enjoy your new records and the evening!

Crazysteve and musictoad like this.
  14. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm actually not sure how many of those were pressed, I'll have to check my number when I get home. Jubilee Shout!!! sounds like a great way to start. Hey at least you can throw back some cold ones, that sounds great to me too especially as it's warming up (probably moreso in Georgia than Utah)! Cheers!

scotti likes this.
  15. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

That's kind of where I am. I bought a lot of records, upgrade my cartridge with plans to upgrade speakers but now Im in a buy more records 5th phase. The way i see it is, these are limited pressings and prices will go up so I'm prioritizing albums that may no longer be available at reasonable prices. I'm glad to see others are in same approach. I didn't realize even the Mofis are increasing a huge amount. I picked up a Mofi of In A Silent Way locally for $40 a couple months ago and now it's $125 on musicdirect. Each time I find one of these scenarios it's hard not to buy more records instead of equipment!

Hope everybody had a nice Memorial Day weekend. It's not MMJ but i played a few classics like KoB and Sketches of Spain in honor of Jimmy Cobb.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more here. Don't invest in audiophile vinyl and equipment without a good record cleaning machine. I have the Pro-Ject VC-S2 which works well, and I understand that the new Okki Nokki is on its way. Ultrasonic cleaners can be had for a few dollars more. Whatever you choose, the cost of a cleaner is a small price to pay considering the investment in your vinyl.

Twinsfan007, AnalogJ and scotti like this.
  17. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I've been eyeing the AP of Lee-way. if you wouldnt mind following up with how it sounds, i'd be interested since the MMJ is gone.

Crazysteve and musictoad like this.
  18. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

You got it! I don't have the MMJ to compare to but I've had great experiences with the AP 45 series so I expect it'll be sweet sounding.

ultron9 and TheoJ like this.
  19. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Leeway was mastered by the MMJ team, Joe explained why it appeared on AP in this post

20. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Oh that's interesting. Though, the AP and MMJ teams were virtually the same in the early days anyway, weren't they? Kevin and Steve with perhaps some added input from Joe and Ron on the MM side?

NorthNY Mark and periclimenes like this.
  21. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

The "One Flight Up" Cisco edition is the best I've heard this title sound. There hasn't been an AP or MMJ version so this is the best option.

22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Listening now. It's a home run. Every instrument has it's own space, Blakey and Chambers both sound incredible, the horns are full and robust, soundstage is big, the music is lively. It's a no brainer really.

23. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Mode for Joe popped up this afternoon on the Bay with a starting bid at $75 and a Make Offer option. Threw $100 out but got out-offered at $125. Feels like I won’t be able to grab this at $100 unless I get lucky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

+1

musictoad likes this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Leeway was such a fun listen. Now I've got the MM 33 of Undercurrent on the table. I hear what @recstar24 is referring to with Kenny's piano but it's not as bad as I was expecting, in fact it's minor enough that I can overlook it and instead focus on the amazing energy and drive and force of this recording. This thing just freaking sizzles. And definitely an improvement over my DVD-A. Everything sounds more organic and textured and alive. I'm in jazz heaven tonight.

TheoJ, Morbius, Kimiimacman and 6 others like this.