Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

A lot of good, thoughtful answers already. And it's a great, open, honest question.

You don't list your equipment in your profile. It's important to do that so we have a reference as to where you're coming from.

But to answer your question, at the very least, what you don't want is something that will ruin these records as you play them. Even a good rig can do that if it's not setup correctly. If you're serious about building a collection with these wonderful sounding, classic albums of jazz, you'll want to make sure that you keep them in great shape as you get a better system.

That being said, there's a LOT of complex information in the groove, and even more with the likes of the Music Matters, Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity, and other audiophile labels output. The turntable, between the platter, the tonearm, the cartridge, the plinth, and even the surface that the turntable sits on, is a precision tool designed to extract the tiniest wiggles that are the audio waves in the groove. Anything that keeps the stylus from doing its job, whether it be imprecise platter rotation, imprecise cartridge, noisy motor, etc., will mean that the rest of the system down the line never gets to see all that is in the groove, meaning you don't get to hear it.

What might you be missing? Dynamic range, sophisticated texture of instruments, ability to produce frequency extremes, and much more.

Minimally, you'll want something like the U-Turn Orbit, starting at under $200. You can upgrade by getting a better platter (will help to spin more evenly) and a better cartridge. Available online and at Barnes and Noble stores, they're a company in Woburn, Massachusetts, and their tables assembled there. However, if that's your ending point for the rest of your life, these expensive pressings may be overkill. The BN 75th or 80th Anniversary pressings may do just fine. You're not really going to understand why these records cost $35 or $50 or $100.

As you start to get to the, say, $600 range (just for the table), you'll start to get results that are better, more involving, than most CD playback (in my experience). You'll need to add a phono preamplifier. Some integrated amplifiers include them. The included ones generally aren't all that great. The better the phono stage, the more of the information retrieved from the groove will be passed along. Same with the amplifier. Same with the cabling. Same with the speakers.

I really like the Rega Planar 2 and 3 turntables. They're my favorite sub-$1000 tables. The Planar 3 is my best bang for the buck table. There are better tables that will get more refinement, more inner detail, and be better at the frequency extremes. But the Planar 3 gets SO much right in terms of communicating the essential feel of the music.

So get the best table you can afford now. The better the table, the more of the musical qualities you'll get off the record, and the more you'll appreciate these records.

If this is just a starting point, and all you can afford is $200 or so, the U-Turn Orbit is not a bad way to go.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  2. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm telling you guys, although Reddy for Freddie is my favorite Hubbard, Goin' Up is getting a ton of time on my table lately. Such high energy, and Freddie's tone is to die for.

3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Okay, can you folks stop raving about all of these amazing records for a bit, while I try and catch my breath, and go back for more! What an amazing night of good sounding Jazz, and I'm not done yet!

musictoad likes this.
  4. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

That prompted me to snag Lee-Way from A.S.
    Sounds like it's Music Matters on everything but the cover quality.

Johan1880 likes this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Been on the lookout for this, a great record indeed (I need Goin' Up as well)! He's got some good company on both of those. And if I may give a plug for one of my favorites "Street Life" a really cool listen and pick up the original CTI (very affordable) as the sound is smoking hot!

Crazysteve likes this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well, you most likely knew I would say this, once again, what an amazing day of sweet sounding music! So of course familiar with this record, at least I thought I was. A bit skeptical spending $75 on this as I have never heard a Cisco pressing before. But if I had to do it over again, I would have gone as high as $100.

The sound on this is drop dead incredible! It has such a vibrant punch to it that just whacks you upside your ears and bites down hard without ever letting go. (holy cowbell Anchorman) are you kidding me! And the music, yeah this is most likely, no this is now my favorite Dexter Gordon album. I changed my mind and started with this one last night and then followed it up with "Right Now!" and I'm ever so glad I listened to everyone on this record, just so good. The sound on it is something else as well, but compared to the Cisco of "One Flight Up", not in the same league and that just says how good OFU is as Right Now! is awesome as can be.

musictoad, I can't than you enough for your post raving about this. You got me to pick up a record I never would have thought of getting. This MMJ thread Rocks!

7. I've been avoiding this thread somewhat lately s my stereo has been packed away while we were completing some renovations on our new home. Dust can wreak havoc on equipment so I felt it was best to leave in the basement. Well, we are finally done with all the dirty work and the stereo should be back up and blasting by this weekend. To say I am excited is an understatement and I have a ton of great records on deck to start cleaning and listening to. And hopefully we see another SRX release in the coming weeks. :wiggle:

8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yes!! You described perfectly what I love about it. Punchy is the word. Those snare hits just crack. Byrd and Dexter sound so sweet and lush. I'm glad you took the risk. It's so much fun to see others experience the magic of my favorite pressings. And you're right, I knew that would be your response haha.

Cervelo, Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  9. I love that feeling when you play your stereo after a long absence from it. After a long trip or a renovation like you've experienced. Go to it and enjoy!!!

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh yeah, the percussion on this record (One Flight Up) is, well you need to hear it for yourself. It's so damn good!

And in all of the excitement, I forgot I finished the night up with "Jubilee Shout!!!" Mr. Turrentine and the gang delivers big time here, and one of my favorite sounding MMJ 45's I do believe. And if you don't already have this one, now's the time.

Now it's time to focus on my current list of MMJ titles to add to my collection. In just the past few days (and I blame all of you fine people here) it has grown from 10 to around 25 titles now. Fathers Day is on the way, and that sounds like the right time to break the exciting news to my wife...

musictoad and Elofan like this.
  11. ryansilva10

ryansilva10 Forum Resident

My father worked at a pressing plant in Portugal, Non Nobis. The company usually sets the standards of what they consider "rejects". If they are complaining about the pressing plant in this way, it is very unprofessional, but this has been the approach of Music Matters for as long as I can remember -- unprofessional.

Impex probably has the same number of rejects, but they very smartly do not drag the pressing plant in public. There is going to be a level of failure that exists on what is now relatively ancient equipment. Bitching about the plant to justify exorbitant pricing to the consumer is not the way to go about it.

12. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I think you and a few others misunderstood the statement from MM. The defect rate is high at RTI and not after arriving at MM warehouse. This new vinyl formualation is difficult to work with, and they have encountered a higher rate of defects. The rate of defect results in higher operating costs which are then passed on to MM. This is at least how I understood their statement. They are not putting RTI on blast.

13. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Don't you mean Straight Life my friend? It's a rockin' album and has all the best people from that era on it! Ron Carter plays a savage (electric?) bass and the title track which is over 17 minutes longs seems to go by in only a few. Time flies when you're having fun. Goin' Up should be here in a matter of days.

GreatTone, Elofan and scotti like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! My bad, heck of a late night enjoying my music. Must have had Roxy Music on my mind...(Street Life) a great album in it's own right.

That title track is such a great song and it indeed just grooves on by in no time. If unfamiliar with "Straight Life" (got it right this time thanks to you) this record is highly recommended.

Think I will keep things simple today and just hang in SRX land, to say I'm lazy would be putting it mildly. I'll be lucky to get the cover off of my TT. Maybe just stick with CD's, no I did not say that.

GreatTone, NorthNY Mark and Morbius like this.
  15. purevinyl

purevinyl Forum Resident

The Cisco pressing is very nice, but a original BN "Mono" is my favorite version (A/B it against the Cisco) and the Dynamics on the Mono is Explosive! (very good on Cisco)

finding a clean Mono is not cheap, but it's amazing!

scotti likes this.
  16. ryansilva10

I'm not misunderstanding the post. Why would the label be identifying production issues if not to put the pressing plant on blast and excuse price gouging? Read my post again.

There have been equally expensive, equally hyped, AAA remastered reissues by Kevin Gray that were made at American plants (QRP) and released in Japan without any of the drama that seems to follow a "definitive" Music Matters Release. And I can assure you that EMI Japan was not dragging the pressing plant when they had defects -- I know because I bought one at launch, sent it back as it was warped, and got a fresh copy with a personalized apology letter from Disk Union/EMI label chief. They accepted full responsibility for their product, corrected the issue, and did not feel the need to blame the production line.

17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

(One Flight Up) Wow, that would make that one of the better sounding records I have ever heard if it sounds like you say and I believe you, but I will keep save the $250 and put it towards more MMJ titles. I think you are underestimating the sound on the Cisco version, as it is better to my ears than just very good. But with that said, I have never heard a mono original to compare.

Elofan and musictoad like this.
  18. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I don't know. Maybe MM will send you a "personalized" apology letter so you can move on.

recstar24 and Sneezyachew like this.
  19. ryansilva10

It doesn't strike you odd that better, more humble service comes from a nameless, faceless Zaibatsu-megacorp releasing the same product than from a supposed "definitive" reissue series with a 5-man team?

I've stopped buying MM's in lieu of the originals for about 4 years now, so lesson was learned on my part. I enjoy releases from both series and with both series issues were encountered. One of the companies was not so customer-friendly, so it does not surprise that they are dragging the pressing plant, too. Everyone is to blame but themselves.

Elofan likes this.
  20. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Karens gonna Karen,

biggysteve likes this.
  21. ryansilva10

You're welcome to drink at the trough of bad service -- but this is neither an operative norm nor a good practice.

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Don't take this as a complaint, but as a question. If you quit buying from them four years ago, why are you hanging out on this thread?

23. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

(my guess) For the love of (Blue Note) music! :righton:

scotti likes this.
  24. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

My own experience with MMJ does not go back four years but to date I’ve only received great customer service on their end. Most recently I contacted Carol after the debacle that took place trying to purchase the last SRX releases. My order spent a full half hour loading, and I got shut out. I contacted about my experience in a reasonable way and she returned my email with a PayPal invoice to purchase The Sidewinder and Somethin’ Else releases after the fact. I’m looking forward to hearing them Friday in the USPS comes thru... :)

Jeffrey Weiss, AshS, snorker and 8 others like this.
  25. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

No--it sounds wonderful. My copy was a bit off-centered, but after some filing, it sounds great. It's a different kind of sound than what we normally get from RVG, with the group arrangements using darker-toned instruments. But the piano sounds better than is usual for RVG, and I kind of like the of-their-time dark brass arrangements. It vies with Maiden Voyage as my favorite HH album. Given the limited quantities available, this would be my first priority if I were a fan of HH and didn't already have it. I personally regret not having bought Inventions and Dimensions before they went out of stock, especially since the BN 80 version has received such mixed reviews.

timzigs, mikeyt and AnalogJ like this.