Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

I feel like I addressed all of your other gripes and concerns. But to be fair, my issue is mostly with those that took the last few SRX releases to make grand statements that MMJ shouldn’t be allowed to be a business and their customer service was atrocious because their site was slow, which weren’t your issues. I wasn’t around when they changed their business model, but at the end of the day, have they done something so drastically different than other similar labels have done? I’d be curious if you’ve had any better experience from another retailer that sent you multiple replacements, that wasn’t dealing in the amount of product, inventory, and gross $$ figures (and margins on things like equipment) that an Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct has that allows more flexibility to send multiple. If your biggest gripe is they didn’t respond to your email after they sent you a replacement on something (I hope you followed up or ask for your money back after they didn’t respond after your unsatisfactory replacement?) several years ago that hasn’t actually stopped you from purchasing from them, I’d say their customer service has been fine. Sure, not stellar for you, but certainly not bad.

This is hyperbole, right? Have they literally treated you as less than human? You’re kidding, right? This is exactly what I’m talking about. Holy crap.

biggysteve likes this.
  2. 3083joe

3083joe Well-Known Member

On another note. I’m looking for a copy of mode for joe if anyone hears anything

thanks.

3. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

You got me thinking about "Masqualero" again. I think the bases are covered with "Flamenco Sketches" from Kind of Blue, the Sketches of Spain album, and "Spanish Key" from Bitches Brew. That's because "Masqualero" is Wayne Shorter's erroneous spelling of Mescalero, which is an Apache Indian tribe.

That said, Mescalero is a Spanish word. The Spanish came in and named in the Spanish language much of the lands they conquered. Then, much of that language was incorporated into the English language. I mean, we English-speaking folks adopted the Spanish words for a lot of stuff that was already named in Spanish. For example, the Spanish word for the "guitar" is the guitar. Ha.

It's interesting and sometimes confusing because the Native Americans did not have a written language. The Apache call themselves Shis-Inday. The Navajo call themselves Dine ("the people") in their native tongue. But the Commanches were named by the Ute tribe, who called them Kimantsi ("the enemy," which they were to the Utes). By the time the Spanish got done with Kimantsi it came out Commanche.

I've actually played on the Navajo Nation in Arizona (and even the Navajo Elk's Lodge in Albuquerque, NM :)), and the Commanche Nation in Oklahoma. They called me "Tue-nuetu" in Commanche. It roughly translates to "trouble" or "little trouble." But I digress.

Back to "Masqualero." That's my favorite period for Miles' music. We've got The Sorcerer and later Water Babies in album titles. Bitches Brew seems related to me, as it is likely derived from the Witches' Brew title by the New Symphonie Orchestra of London/Alexander Gibson conducting. Water Babies is interesting because that is a somewhat obscure name for a sorcerer's helper. So we've got these titular themes throughout the catalog.

I've wondered whether Miles or the other guys in the band were influenced by Carlos Casteneda, who had a very popular book published in 1968 called "The Teachings of Don Juan." Don Juan was a Mexican sorcerer. "The Sorcerer" album was recorded in May 1967, but that stuff was in the air at the time.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  4. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Water Babies is such a great sleeper Miles album. If it had been released as a Wayne Shorter album (which would have been tough, given that it was on Columbia!), it would easily be an album people point to as a great feature for Shorter's composing and playing.

5. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

All credit and I mean ALL credit for Flamenco Sketches should be paid to Mr. Bill Evans.

Kind of Blue - recorded: March 2, 1959 – April 22, 1959 - released: August 17, 1959

Everybody Digs Bill Evans - recorded: December 15, 1958 - released: March 1959

Many argue that Bill Evans is responsible for the whole album. As a huge Bill Evans fan, I would have to agree.

For further study on this amazing track listen to Bill Evans' Some Other Time from the album Waltz for Debbie.

I really wish Mr. Evans had recorded at least one album for Blue Note.

funknik, scotti, Elofan and 2 others like this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes, it needs rehashing when someone posts that their customer service is "stellar".

I'm not sure if you're correct about the timing of when they pulled the distribution or not, but the timing is pretty irrelevant. I remember that in this very thread, I was encouraged to buy from them directly, as more of the money would "go to the little guy". But I got stung by their poor customer service. That would not have happened if I had purchased it through a retailer.

Elofan and Tom Campbell like this.
  7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Valid point.

AnalogJ likes this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You simplify and belittle our criticism by reducing it to "We don't like them." We have made valid points about their inconsistent and sometimes worse than good customer service. That it is now the only place to buy their product is part of the problem. If we merely didn't like them, we could dismiss them entirely.

But someone stating that their customer service is always stellar deserves a response. That person isn't merely saying "I like them". They're making a statement about an aspect of the company that is demonstrably not true. Their customer service, at times, is greatly flawed. And their issues are ones that rarely occur when you purchase through normal retailers.

NorthNY Mark and ryansilva10 like this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Got it. You don't like them, that's cool.

:D

mikeyt and AnalogJ like this.
  10. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Just ordered "Doin' Allright" despite also having the 8oth (which I told myself repeatedly was more than adequate). Because $39.95 + cabin fever = retail therapy. Has anyone compared them?

I can't verify this, but I'm nearly certain that "Doin' Allright" is my cat's favorite album. She's always been a pushover for a nice smooth saxophone.

11. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Completely agree. I'm a newbie here but have an "adequate" system (actually several), and although I know my system could be much better, I know it will never be good enough. One will always want, and always be able to upgrade components. OTOH, I am snagging as many of these records as I can at MSRP - they are AMAZING. Yesterday, I just spun my newly acquired 33 of Out to Lunch which a forum member sold to me at a very reasonable price. WOW, it totally floored me. Just amazing dynamics. I have all the MMJ33s except for 5 that I have to hunt down. I have a handful of 45s but I'm lazy so not 100% sure I'm going to go after all of these (who am I kidding?).

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome! "Out To Lunch" is most likely my favorite sounding MMJ 33. It's almost borderline SRX quality to my ears, not to mention one of the most awesome records I have ever heard. So many here have tried to convince me the 45 version sounds better, but I still have not swayed from the 33 and I'm not saying they are wrong, but I think I can get by with what I have.

It's pretty cool how cats and dogs relate to music. My chocolate lab is a Rolling Stones freak. If I ask him if he wants to hear The Rolling Stones, he is up and ready to Rock out. And once he hears a riff from Keith Richards guitar, you best get out of his way as he goes wild.

13. Jeffrey Weiss

14. ryansilva10

ryansilva10 Forum Resident

You realize this goes both ways, right? There once was an obligation from both parties to conduct themselves professionally in a business transaction.

I've known precious little of it in my two-and-a-half decades of life, but I can assure you that I've heard about it from people on this Earth a bit longer than I have been.

Are you able to envision a distinction between liking a company's product vs. liking a company's customer service? This is a serious question.

And again, this argument of mine was founded on the principle of "it is no surprise they are dragging the pressing plant, because they often drag their own customers". You have missed the actual point and have decided to rhetorically bludgeon your good customer service experience against my poor one. That goes nowhere, fast.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If you are not happy with your $100 Cisco of "One Flight Up", the person you need to seek out resides here and goes by @musictoad, I have heard he is a pretty cool member here and will take care of any issue in regards to this version.

@Jeffrey Weiss could not post your above comment...

Greenmonster2420 and musictoad like this.
  16. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

For anyone unfamiliar with what @AshS is referencing:

Miles Davis - Flamenco Sketches

And Blue in Green seems to have antecedent in this track with Chet Baker:
    Chet Baker & Bill Evans - Alone together

Blue in Green by. Miles Davis

Dmann201, AshS, NorthNY Mark and 5 others like this.
  17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I have a mint promo copy of this that I played again recently. Sounds great!

scotti likes this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yes. Me like a the company product and me like a the company customer service.

You no like a the customer service. Its a OK.

mikeyt, Pelts and beyondmiles like this.
  19. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

:laugh: You have got to be putting us on.

20. Jeffrey Weiss

Well said!

21. Jeffrey Weiss

"hostile communications"??? Maybe a business with really low overhead and very limited resources as compared to where they were 10 years ago?

22. ryansilva10

ryansilva10 Forum Resident

Has it occurred to you that I also think the product is good, and that I would have been another happy customer if I was not treated abhorrently?

For reference, here are the MusicMatters I've purchased:

Art Blakey: Indestructible, Free For All, Mosaic, The Big Beat, A Night in Tunisia (SRX)
    Jazz Messengers Vol. 1 & 2
    Horace Silver: The Stylings of Silver, Finger Poppin', 6 Pieces of Silver, Cape Verdean Blues
    Duke Pearson: Wahoo!

I happen to enjoy the remastering choices made by Gray/Cohearant with the resolution and staging of the Piano & Drums, as you can clearly see. You get a bit more punch from Pearson, esepcially.

Does this good product excuse bad customer service, though?
    No.

Elofan and AnalogJ like this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

"Straight Life" (got the title right again) and I found it at my local shop last year in like new shape for no more than $10, and just really impressed with the sound quality. I sure do miss digging through the used vinyl, but for now I'm sticking to only getting new copies that are ready to be picked up in a grab and go fashion.

GreatTone likes this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Got it. You like a the product, you no like a the customer service. If a da customer service was a da betta, you woulda been a much a happier. I'm so sorry you were treated abhorrently.

mikeyt, beyondmiles and ryansilva10 like this.
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

@Jeffrey Weiss glad to hear you took the plunge with One Flight Up, you will love it!

Morbius likes this.