Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, they will probably get replacements for the defects once RTI catches up after having been shut down for a few months.

musictoad likes this.
  2. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

RTI needs to update their presses like QRP. I don’t completely buy the excuse- SRX material is difficult to work with. Take QRP for example. Several years ago they updated their presses with micro processors and temp controlled dye to be as precise as possible and it has paid off considerably. The Hendrix UHQR discs had a very low rejection rate. RTI has bitten off more than they can chew

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The replacement level would be an agreed upon percentage of the agreed upon pressing number as a replacement threshold, which I think may have been stated or quoted here. I remember reading/hearing 10% threshold for replacement, don't quote me on that. So basically they agree upfront that RTI will replace up to a certain agreed %, in this case let's just arbitrarily say 10%, and they go from there. So in a batch of 500 pressings, not include the test pressings, let's say they agree 300 of those are usable. Using that arbitrary 10% replacement rate, RTI will press up to an additional 50 confirmed good pressings as replacement level, meaning only 350 of that initial pressing agreement were deemed "usable" by MM/RTI.

Again the magic number is debatable as none of us actually is privy to the actual contract, but you can see how a planned pressing of 500 may not actually turn out that way.

musictoad likes this.
  4. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Here's a relevant boomer present for all you young 'uns:

metalrules and snorker like this.
  5. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

But those UHQR discs were done on the manual press.

Kimiimacman and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Again, like I've stated in my post, "if it is of any value", you're welcome not to value what I've stated and you're welcome to completely dismiss it if you deem my opinion invalid. No hurt feelings on my end, Ron is a big boy and doesn't need me fighting his battles that's for sure. I wish you the best.

7. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

The Golden 8 is in the house - great pictures in the gatefold!

Dmann201, timzigs, SJR and 3 others like this.
  8. ryansilva10

ryansilva10 Forum Resident

A bit off topic, but did you guys actually think that was funny when it aired? I've been meaning to ask this from contemporaries, but the opportune moment never arrived. As you can tell by their Neilson ratings, 18-29s don't really "get" whatever SNL is supposed to be -- much less whatever this reference is supposed to ideologically re-ify.

9. The pressing plant failure thing was odd but it could have been just over one time period at the plant. And I assume someone from MMJ (Ron) is at the press check. I don’t know.

In terms of a specific exact time and date of a new sale, not making a pre announcement would be fine by me and they wouldn't get the site crashing

10. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Yes! And that’s what it all comes down to - $$$

11. You usually press an addition percentage at the git go. Like with printing. They do an I over run at the initial printing g and ordering because there are almost always bad copies.

12. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

13. Phenomenal record. One of my favorites.

14. Subagent

We were all very high, and it was hilarious. There was no ideology, per se. It was a parody, with an absurdist cheeseburgerian twist, of the classic Greek diner. Diners that in my East Coast youth were the go-to place for very late and very early food. I suppose it is dated now, but it still resonates with me all these years later.

I apologize for the practically random insertion of 45 year old TV humor into this thread. I now return you to your regularly scheduled MMJ customer service kerfuffle.

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

As a fellow Chicagoan, I appreciate the reference :) The actual Billy Goat Tavern is pretty close to the sketch’s customer service - the first time I went, I asked for a cheeseburger and he said “no, you take a double cheeseburger”. So I had a double :)

so many of these Chicago haunts are similar. I grew up on a place called SuperDawgs and I remember asking for a single superdawg and they reply “no you want a double”. Or my favorite, order a supercheesie (a single cheeseburger) and they say “no” and call out to their line “order Whoopercheesie to go” (a double cheeseburger with all the fixins).

Greek diner culture is a bit part of growing up a Chicago kid. I appreciate the slight nostalgia you evoked!

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

And the sound is fantastic! My all time favorite Hendrix record, with even a surprise appearance from The Move's "Roy Wood" on You Got Me Floating. Just an incredible album "Axis"! Sorry for the derail, but what the heck. Kind of crazy here anyway today.

Kimiimacman likes this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Please tell me you are not a Cubs fan...

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Mazzy has it right, I missed that step. So using my example, RTI would press 550 upfront, of which a certain number would be usable. I’m not privy to their agreement obviously, but RTI may press an additional amount, but I doubt it will be for the actual quantity to replace those deemed unusable.

musictoad likes this.
  19. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Ha! Yeah man I am pretty hardcore lol. I’m an 80’s and 90’s kid so other than the random 1989 season (too young to really remember 1984) so I suffered a lot of bad baseball lol. 2003 was pretty heart wrenching and we had a tease during the Lou Pinella years, but after 2016 it was nice to have so many childhood friends reach out to me with a “congrats”

beyondmiles and scotti like this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, it’s no TikTok, that’s for sure.

21. Subagent

I had forgotten what a strong influence the second city had on the early years of SNL. So, thank you for the reminder!

MisterBritt and recstar24 like this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ha! Being from St. Louis I'm a die hard Cardinals fan! It's a great rivalry and we used to drive up to Chicago every Summer and see them play. Afterwards off to Rush Street for some more fun.

Fender Relic likes this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Oooh, I didn't need to know that Scotti. Unfortunately I need to put you on my ignore list :laugh:

timzigs, Fender Relic and scotti like this.
  24. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I believe this parody was based on restaurant Billie Goat On lower Wacker Drive in Chicago.

Dignan2000, MisterBritt and Subagent like this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yup - I talk a little bit about it above in my post.