Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Thank you. Man, those Prestige releases for $35.

BreakBeat DJ likes this.
  2. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

3. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I was devastated when I missed out on the MMJ of this one BUT I recently acquired the AP and it is absolutely amazing. Honestly, Page One is so good I would be happy listening to a copy recorded from the radio. Sure the AP jackets are not the same as MMJ but the audio quality is just as good if not better. Wait for a sale and buy a few of these AP's. I do not think anyone on this thread would be disappointed. I have not been disappointed with Jackie's Bag, Workout, Tokyo Blues, Moanin', New Soil, or Hub-Tones -- all acquired this year. Get the best pressing you can get for what you can afford. I feel like it is just time to move on. Just order the titles from Chad. I imagine if more people buyout the stock over at Acoustic Sounds Chad will press more and maybe even add new titles.

I think I have about 80 or so MMJ's including most of the SRX's and other heavy hitters both in 33RPM and 45RPM but I think I am done with MMJ for the most part. I am grateful for the titles I have and I realize it is not worth it stressing about record jackets, crazy pricing structures, and trying to get your cart to $200 to get free shipping. No offense to Ron and Ms. Carol, they had a great run but the well has run dry.

4. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

If you like GG..:the AP of Grantstand is a really a terrific record and KPG/SH did a wonderful job. The cover art alone is worth the price.

Dmann201, Bryce, SJR and 3 others like this.
  5. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

I scored an EXTREMELY low numbered copy of Page One from AP when I was scooping up all the $25 45’s awhile back.

It’s astonishingly good, sonically. As AP Blue Notes go, I can’t recommend this one enough.

6. I listened to my BN75 copy of Street of Dreams today. I bought in on discogs. It's the first BN75 album that I've acquired where I can hear what all the complaining is about. The price was cheap at twenty bucks and I won't be returning it because the music is so darn great. There were two pimple-sized indentations on one side that resulted in a few pops that kind of irritated me. On the other side there was a tick that would not go away for seven revolutions. It's definitely an inferior pressing, but the music overcompensates for it. The previous two BN75 albums that I bought-both of the Monk Genius albums (red and olive drab)-were pressed much better. These were the ones that featured the terrific bonus tracks that make up half the repertoire.

7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I'm not a big fan of organ, but it looks interesing, I'll check it out on streaming

recstar24 and Pushpaw like this.
  8. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Yes, I have the AP 45 and it’s great. The drums are so crisp!

9. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Have to say I’m not a huge fan of organ on most jazz titles either and usually avoid it.

guidedbyvoices and LeeGriffin like this.
  10. guidedbyvoices

I've had bad luck with BN75s, but not Street of Dreams. That one for me is a near perfect pressing and the mastering is great. The quality was so all over the map with that series, it's nuts.

Barnyard Symphony likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

I do like Street of Dreams a lot, that's one where I think Bobby Hutcherson helps the mood and mixes really well with the organ, the whole album has a killer mood.

12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

So..... with the help of John Dark, Carol just got back to me and apologized. She said they were having trouble with PayPal. I mentioned there were several others here with the same issue. I'm hoping that she reaches out to the several others here who encountered the same problem.

13. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

That's great news! I take it they still had copies to send you?

14. AnalogJ

That being said, I'm considering adding a title onto my order (which she's allowing me to do).

I'm potentially thinking of the following:

Gil Melle - Patterns In Jazz
    Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues
    Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love
    J.R. Monterose (s/t)
    Curtis Fuller - The Opener

Thoughts on any of these, both regarding the music and the sound?

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

the first two...PIJ or CVB :edthumbs:

mpayan likes this.
  16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I received Inner Urge last week, just opening it up now - the hype sticker was hilariously dead centre, never seen that before.

17. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Another vote for Cape Verdean Blues.

18. Musically I'd pick Cape Verdean Blues, but I haven't heard the MMJ of last two so I can't comment on sonics. JR is on my short list for my next order.

The first three are all great sonically, but of the three I'd take PiJ because I'm partial to the Hackensack mono sound.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  19. Glad they are taking care of you. I love the Gil Melle as it Is somewhat different than the usual BN fare. Plus has a fantastic cover.

scotti and Elofan like this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

First two.

But I have and enjoy them all.

Elofan and Mazzy like this.
  21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Patterns in Jazz is fantastic.

scotti, Elofan and AshS like this.
  22. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I second what @Fender Relic said. Patterns in jazz is wonderful, mellow, and in mono. Cape Verdean Blues is boisterous and fun (and in stereo). Both are great, so pick whichever mood suits you.

23. AnalogJ

I'm leaning toward some combination of PIJ, JRM, and CVB. The latter two have Horace Silver on them, and they're both high spirited albums.

Elofan likes this.
  24. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Thanks to a tip in the thread, I now have a couple of titles on the way at Canadian-friendly prices :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dmann201, nosliw, recstar24 and 7 others like this.
  25. ausgraeme

ausgraeme Forum Resident

I heartily agree with this. Recently picked this up from a local record store and it’s quickly become one of my regular top spinners. I have my eye on the AP of Idle Moments too but it’s almost twice what I paid for Grantstand at the same store so can’t quite convince my finger to press the buy button......

mikeyt, SJR and Morbius like this.