Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I can't speak about the sonics since I do not own these on MMJ 45, but as far as the music, I personally like Patterns in Jazz, J.R. Montrose S/T and The Opener.

scotti and recstar24 like this.
  2. 99khan

99khan Forum Resident

I love both of these albums!!! The Dexter Gordon I have the 70s blue label with white logo issue which I bought @ Tower Records in AZ in 1984 for $7.99 (shrink still has the Tower price sticker). I have since bought the 33 rpm MMJ issue. "Puttin' It Together" is an Elvin Jones "tour de force" (but then again, what album isn't??!!). And how about that Farrell guy on reeds and flute! I bought an original Liberty pressing in the 90s from an L.A. record store for 10 bucks. Been hesitating to purchase the MMJ 45 rpm. I can just imagine how good that issue sounds. Enjoy!

brimuchmuze likes this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I picked up Puttin' It Together a little while back. It's phenomenal. Elvin is just a powerhouse.

4. WatchMaker

WatchMaker Well-Known Member

I second that as I have just received my copy from Acoustic Sounds yesterday. It sounded exceptional to my ears, and with very quiet noise floor too. Worth every penny I must say.

And for those who missed out on MMJ’s recent SRX drop of Somethin’ Else, and if you do not mind flipping your record after each song, do not fret, grab this and you will not regret it.

I have both the AP and SRX copy, all I can say is that both copies sounded excellent in their own ways.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  5. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I subscribed to the AP Blue Note series for both sets. I think it started in 2008. Anyway it was very cool to get 2 Blue Note records a month from AP and 2 from Music Matters as well. I regret some things in my life but never subscribing to AP and MM. The 50 APs and the 112 MM 45s are some of my most treasured possessions and some of my most played records.

6. botherly

botherly Well-Known Member

Hey that's sort of great news! Great for you anyway. I still haven't heard back. I'll try another email.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Did you get the 33RPM or the 45RPM pressing of Dexter Gordon's Our Man in Paris? I ordered the 33RPM pressing, which I'm expecting it to come within next week from the said store. :)

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Easily my pick and the sound is just fantastic on this one (and the price is right)! Glad you got your issue resolved!

Mazzy and Sneezyachew like this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I just got off the phone with Acoustic Sounds and talked to one of my favorite people over there and was told announcement coming at 6 pm tonight...4th of July sale will be announced.

AshS, TheoJ, beyondmiles and 13 others like this.
  10. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I have my cart ready!

BreakBeat DJ, Elofan and scotti like this.
  11. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Re AP
    It's a shame they chose to jack up the prices on a lot of their classical SACDS and blue note titles that had in my wish list with some also not having discounts allowed. Hopefully they change that before the sale as I've been a big fan of theirs the last few months. Hopefully they're just reconfiguring their site prices

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I think some of us are awaiting your thoughts on this as I assuming this is the SRX version...

13. Yes SRX It’s a wonderful sounding record but I’ve only had it on CD before.

Elofan and scotti like this.
  14. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I agree , this is a wonderful record. I can easily say it’s my favorite MMJ record. I own various cd/vinyl copies and don’t like to compare. As has been stated before I didn’t expect it to sound like OG. It is a beautiful mastered recording of one of Wayne’s best records and I will be reaching for it often. As always my opinion only. This is the only SRX I own and I can say it sounds as good or better than the Evans VV and BOTT One Steps I own.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Dignan2000 and scotti like this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I put in one of my last MMJ orders:
    They Styling's of Silver
    Open Sesame
    Into Something
    Back to the Tracks

This will put me at 50 MMJ titles IIRC.

As far as AP BNs go, I only have Somethin' Else but I'm creating an AS cart with Page One, Sonny Rollins Vol. 2 (Any feedback on the latter title here?)

16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I have heard some pretty great things regarding the Dylan. Great feedback!

Clucking likes this.
  17. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

I have an RVG Liberty repress of Speak No Evil from 1966 and a King pressing to compare it to.
    I can't say that I am happy with the way the RVG sounded. Freddie Hubbard sounds like someone threw a thick blanket over him, especially in comparison to the King. I am really looking forward to the SRX arriving for a different presentation of this classic.

scotti likes this.
  18. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

It's too bad that all of the AP stuff isn't eligible for further discount. Oh well - I'm sure I'll find something to buy ;)

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think the point is, that they have intention to do so. I truly wish they'd be more efficient about it.

Do me a favor, though (and I'll do you one). Those who used PayPal, got refunded, and haven't heard from MM, please send me a PM with your name. I'll be in communication with Carol later on today, and I'll specifically mention your names as a reminder.

Thanks,

Jeff

botherly, captouch and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  20. It generally becomes available for the 15% sales.

21. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

The recent sales have included AP titles. I scooped up two during their Father’s Day sale.

22. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

CVB would be my selection. This album differs from your other choices in that it sits squarely in that sweet mid sixties progressive modern jazz style that I really enjoy. Woody Shaw & Joe Henderson make up the frontline and are two of the most progressive horn players of the 60's and beyond. Throw in JJ on trombone for a couple tracks and you have good mix of the old and new guard.

periclimenes and Tim1954 like this.
  23. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I ordered the 33RPM as well. It showed In Stock when I ordered it.

I guess they had two copies?

They have charged my credit card and I got a notice from Canada Post with the tracking number so I assume it's coming :)

24. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Giving my Speak No Evil a first spin.

All records should sound this good.

25. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

From this list, I’d go with Like Someone In Love. Such an incredible session and one of the best sounding MMJs. It sits comfortably in my top 40 favorites.

Morbius and TheoJ like this.