Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I have all these but JR and here's my rec:

tier 1 - must get
    Horace Silver - Cape Verdean Blues. Overall just an amazing Silver album if not even my favorite. Worth it alone for African Queen
    Art Blakey - Like someone in Love - it's an amazing sounding MMJ and has a great feel. If you have a Night in Tunisia then this is an obvious nice pairing. I can't verbalize why, but i feel like the sound on this is a notch above Cape Verdean

tier 2 - still amazing as usual
    Patterns
    The Opener

Dignan2000 likes this.
  2. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I have Vol 2 and easily vouch for it. I haven't had any bad luck with any AP BN. I'm going to get Page One and Blowing the Blues Away when the sale hits.

Morbius and mikemoon like this.
  3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I appreciate the feedback. If I end up with 4-6 more MMJ titles to choose from in August, I might reach out to you and others. I kind of had these 4 figured out last week but held off for my July budget.

FYI, AS Sale just hit!

Dignan2000, TheoJ and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  4. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

AP Midnight Blue comes out to $46.75 for those who missed out on SRX. Limited stock it says.

5. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

Received my SRX copies of Speak and Midnight Blue this afternoon, ran them through a RCM and spun.

I’m fortunate to have been able to grab all 10 of this year’s offerings direct from MMJ, and these are easily the best of the 2020 series, to me.

Just astonishingly great presentations of this music, print through issue on Midnight Blue notwithstanding.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Dmann201, Twinsfan007, Elofan and 3 others like this.
  6. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I read about the print through issue - where can it be heard? This seems like a major oversight for such a big deal project and expensive record.

7. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Henderson Page One and Grant Green Idle Moments were two of the MM 33.3 highlights for me.
    Frankly, I have experienced mixed results with the MM 33.3, with some being a bit more lackluster. Not bad mind you, just not exceptional.
    These two are exceptional. Some have posted that their AP counterparts are better. Anyone else agree?

jgrillo likes this.
  8. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Print-through is in the tape itself from one layer magnetically influencing the layer next to it when it sits on the reel. Nothing to be done about that. Pre-echo, on the other hand, is caused by the cutterhead's excursions on the lathe distorting the spot that was just cut one revolution ago. I haven't heard clips but pre-echo would be exactly 1 revolution or 1.8 seconds early. If it's a shorter amount of time, that's print-through. Can anyone who owns it and hears it give us a sense of how far in advance the pre-echo occurs?

NorthNY Mark and Elofan like this.
  9. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Picked up a heap of the AP Blue Note 45s in the AS sale. I also managed to snag the Dizzy Reece MM 45 for $50. which is $25 cheaper than on the MM site!

funknik, periclimenes and AnalogJ like this.
  10. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

And you don't have to spend $200 to get free shipping. Makes it more manageable for those of us in the group that 1) hate paying shipping and 2) somehow both can't find enough or limit purchase to $200...or is that just me?

11. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Just placed my final order at MMJ unless Happenings comes back in stock or they do some other new stuff.
    Joe Henderson - Our Thing
    Freddie Redd - Shades Of Redd
    Jackie McLean - Destination Out
    Clifford Brown - Memorial Album
    Horace Silver - Stylings Of
    Art Blakey - Like Someone in Love

That takes me up to a total of 68 MMJ.

Living in the U.K. with these titles almost impossible to come by and the extortionate postage costs I’m done now and very happy!

scotti, Jellis77, Dmann201 and 4 others like this.
  12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

It is clearly audible in the first 2-3 minutes of the track MULE of the simple MM33. I was not able to detect in any other tracks. I have not yet received my SRX MM33.

biggysteve and funknik like this.
  13. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I was dubious, but comparing the Midnight Blue 33SRx against the AP45 last night, the MM was the clear winner - dead quiet inky backgrounds, sharper instrumental focus and perfect tone.

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That's fine, but those aren't the most important aspect of a pressing for me. Those can be present but the music be lifeless. The most important aspect to me is how much life there is in the music.

For example, in comparing the MM Maiden Voyage 33 to the AP 45, the 33 has sharper detail, but is flatter in its macro-dynamics. The music breathes more with the AP 45. At first, the 33 impresses with its vividness of its tone, but it can seem inert next to the 45.

Tom Campbell and Levi's Tubs like this.
  15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Believe me, there is plenty of life in the SRX of MB and more so than the AP 45 (and yes the AP 45 sounds very good)...looking forward to more feedback on this one.

musictoad and funknik like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I wanted to take advantage of the AS sale and add a two or three SAM releases to my collection finally. Going to get the Nathan Davis "Live In Paris" title but was wondering if I could get two or three more good recommendations to grab as well. Thanks in advance...

edit - thinking "Peace Treaty" might be a good one...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Twinsfan007 and mikemoon like this.
  17. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

I also went with peace treaty, and due to the write up, Donald Byrd / Parisian Thoroughfare.
    I skipped on the Blakey as I can simply watch it on YouTube but I am sure this is a nice release as well

scotti likes this.
  18. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Lewis & Distel- afternoon in Paris

Jimbo912, scotti and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

That would be on my list but I have the MMJ 33 RPM.

20. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The Blakey is sold out right now, but I do not need another live release from him, too many other titles I need to get first. How is "Peace Treaty"? Never heard it...

Sorry to derail but I know I can count on you folks here to give great advice...

21. My SRX order is out for delivery today. I have quite a lot to get done, hopefully I can get through my work quick so that I have time to clean and listen this afternoon

BreakBeat DJ, scotti and mikemoon like this.
  22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I try my best to never pay shipping (I ordered 2 containers of 1-Step cleaning solution to avoid it just yesterday from Audio Advisor). With MMJ, since I have been playing catch up since May (29 titles ordered/50 total owned), I've been making pretty concise orders (3-4 lps at a time) just north of $200. Normally, I would balk at a $200 minimum for free shipping but here I am. I do think I'm almost done, probably one more order in August as long as the remaining titles are there and don't increase in price. Hopefully, they won't as they aren't the most popular or necessarily the best titles left. I've been practicing a bit of a strategy to acquire the right titles at the right time that I think has worked for the most part. I think I missed a few during this time period (Judgement, Putting It Together).

23. I've heard three of their releases; Afternoon in Paris, Ascenseur pour l'echafaud, and Les Liaisons Dangereuses. All three are fantastic both musically and sonically, but I did have some QC issues that led to the first two being sent back. They didn't have a replacement of Afternoon in Paris, and the second copy of Ascenseur pour l'echafaud had the exact same issue, moderately loud crackle through out the whole album, so I gave up on it. AS said they had a lot returned for the same reason, too. This was spring of 2019, though, so I was thinking of giving it a shot again.

24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I have Nathan Davis 'Live in Paris', which is very good and it was a recent May purchase. On this order I picked John Lewis & Sacha Distel 'Afternoon In Paris' and Miles Davis 'Ascenseur pour l'echafaud'. I did this because they are OOS on the Sam Records website and I didn't want to miss them. I think 'Peace Treaty' will be on my next order during the next holiday sale.

MisterBritt and scotti like this.
  25. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I have all of the Sam Records reissues. I think they are fantastic. The following are my favorites (that are unfortunately out of print):

Barney Wilen Quintet - Barney Wilen Quintet
    The Ronnell Bright Trio - The Ronnell Bright Trio
    Bobby Jaspar - Modern Jazz Au Club Saint Germain

For the ones you can still get on AS, I like:

Donald Byrd - Byrd In Paris
    Nathan Davis With Georges Arvanitas Trio - Live In Paris - The ORTF Recordings 1966/67

I have not yet listened to/received the following, yet, but I am sure they are great:

Art Blakey & The New Jazzmen - Live In Paris ‘65
    The Nathan Davis Sextet - Peace Treaty

MisterBritt, beyondmiles and scotti like this.