Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Congregation is my favorite Johnny Griffin of the three Blue Notes. Yes Blowin Session has amazing players but it doesn’t do much for me, Mobleys an awkward fit for one. At $35 Congregation is a steal

mpayan, mikeyt, Twinsfan007 and 3 others like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I'd grab The Congregation — at $35, it's a steal. It's a great album, too. I just played it over the weekend.

mpayan, Twinsfan007, Dmann201 and 4 others like this.
  3. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Woah! I posted just the same thing right now.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I had Peace Treaty in my AS cart as well along with Mingus x 5 and Out of the Afternoon. I just stuck with the latter two and also got Elvin Jones Puttin' It Together and Johnny Coles Little Johnny C from Elusive Disc. Two members in this thread gave me a heads up on the these MMJ titles at ED. Thanks!

NorthNY Mark and IanL like this.
  5. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I really like the Clifford Jordan. It's a great album and the leadoff track Laconia has been in my bands repertoire for years. I don't think it gets much love due to the cover which has to be one of Blue Notes worst . I just recently bought it from MMJ.

6. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

elvin’s genesis cover would like to have a word with you

7. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

My tastes kind of run in the same vein. I feel I'm down to 5+ titles that I'd like to have. I figured one more order but it will probably be two. When Jackie's Bag 33 came back available that made me anxious as I missed it over a month ago as it went OOS.

I don't have any of those titles listed, so I'm no help there. I've had Cat Walk on/off my wish list for over a month now. I figure I will get it if I order Byrd in Hand, to go side by side. I've appreciated your post, among many other's here as well.

You made me create an imaginary cart :laugh::
    Jackie's Bag
    Byrd in Hand
    Cat Walk
    Patterns in Jazz

2nd and last cart ;):
    SR Vol . 1
    John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell
    Up at Minton's Vol. 2
    Leapin' and Loapin'

This is $425 on both orders but broken down to 205/220 to achieve free shipping and have time to take them in and budget it out. If I'd guess, Jackie's Bag and Byrd in Hand are the most like to go OOS or increase in price.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Leapin and Lopin is musically my favorite Sonny Clark, it's fantastic. Worth it just for the one song Ike Quebec guests on.
    Sonny Rollins vol 1 - I don't know how the 45 is but the SRX is a big favorite of mine. Not sure what the consensus is on the 45, but it's a really good album.

timzigs, Dmann201, Crazysteve and 5 others like this.
  9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually thinking I could flip flop L&L and PIJ on the two orders and still achieve the free shipping on both.

I'd imagine SR Vol. 1 probably has similar comparison to some of the other SH/KG 45 mastering attributes vs the 33 KG mastering. I think I'd be happy either way unless once was just messed up. I've never really listened to a MMJ album and thought, this is just "too tame" or this is "too bright" but I do get the differences in mastering styles.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This is a really fun live recording. Of course featuring the great "Grant Green". The AP version of Vol. 1 is a good one as well and it might be the better (music wise) of the two.

"Infant Eyes" had several minor ticks at first. After a couple more cleanings and spins, all but gone now. So fortunate that it turned out okay. No issues what so ever with "Midnight Blue"...

BreakBeat DJ and mikemoon like this.
  11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Jackie’s Bag is a favorite of mine, and IMO, the AP45 is the way to go.

Cheaper and better.

mpayan, Dignan2000, SJR and 5 others like this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Will note and sample. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have picked it up when it was $35. It may go on sale again. For reason, the appeal of the 33 made me want to go ahead and get it before it was OOS, not knowing if it was necessarily the best version. I can just patient since the AP is as good or better. Do you have both versions?

13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I had both versions but once I shot them out I sold off the MM33. It’s really good but as is typical with a lot of the MM 33s they were really adding (or leaving) more top end at this stage.

mikemoon likes this.
  14. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Hey ive got a quick question for all you jazz heads. I've got a chance to buy a 1st press Mingus Ah Um Mono today for about $75. I have the One Step but was wondering how the mono sounds? Anyone have an original that could sway me either way? Thanks!

15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Buy it.

16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I go back and forth on my favorite Sonny Clark record, but have come to the conclusion that they are all extremely cool and essential. The man could certainly play and was a great composer...and to think what could have been after just those 31 short years. I just picked up Sonny's Crib MMJ to complete the collection :cool:

SJR, Morbius, mikemoon and 2 others like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I kept going back and forth between Cool Struttin' and Leapin and Loapin' as to what was my favorite. But I have given up, they are both the perfect bookends to each other, just two awesome sounding records!

Dig the heck out of Sonny's Crib as well and listen it to it often. Two favorites from it are "With A Song In My Heart" and the title track. And talk about a cool lineup, Bryd, Coltrane, Chambers, Fuller, and Taylor, not too shabby.

18. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Well I finally have my SRX order in hand which included Shades of Redd and Leapin'and Lopin'. Cannot wait to spin these! I'm very curious to compare the SRX of Speak No Evil to the 45. And I already know MM knocked it out of the park with Midnight Blue so I can't imagine how good the SRX will be.

SJR, scotti and Crazysteve like this.
  19. Do me a favor and hold off on the superlatives for Shades and Leapin as I have those cued up for my next and likely final MMJ order ;)

Dignan2000, SJR, Bryce and 2 others like this.
  20. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Shades of Redd is a favorite morning spin for me, and Leapin is my favorite Sonny Clark - which is saying something as I love everything Sonny touches. You’re in for a treat!

SJR, Bryce, MisterBritt and 4 others like this.
  21. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Glad you said that, mine arrives Thursday along with Horace Silver Blowin The Blues Away AP45:goodie:

scotti likes this.
  22. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Am i the only one who actually likes this cover? That cover made me think "this is something i need to hear"

Dignan2000, SJR, Dmann201 and 4 others like this.
  23. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

I like the late 60's-early 70's spacey-themed and psychedelic covers like that one. I really dig this Lee Morgan cover:

[​IMG]

24. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

That's a top 10 Blue Note cover for me. I love it. When I build my final music room a print of that is going up on a wall.

Dignan2000, SJR, NorthNY Mark and 2 others like this.
  25. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I like it but in less traditional way than the earlier iconic BN covers. Maybe at first I was thrown off. It certainly breathes 70s and funk!