Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. roolfie

roolfie Well-Known Member

Some changes I noticed since the last time I visited the site:

Look Out! - Up $15 from $74.95 to $89.95
    Happy Frame of Mind - Up $10 from $89.95 to $99.95
    Into Something - Up $25 from $74.95 to $99.95
    Takin’ Off - Out of Stock again

musictoad likes this.
  2. Yikes.

recstar24 likes this.
  3. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Not sure this was posted before: an interesting recent conversation with Joe Harley. He discussed our passion for Blue Note and Music Matters reissues, at 37:00 for example.

Twinsfan007 and mikeyt like this.
  4. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Great one. Thanks for sharing.

And Harley touched on it, I always think it's hilarious when folks say "I want to be in the room!" while passionately arguing that mono originals are the only way to go.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Question for anyone that got the Starker AP Bach set. Received my copy this past Friday, and fortunate that my box, jackets and records all look great. But I'm a little disappointed by the amount of surface noise throughout. I cleaned it again, but have only listened to sides 1 and 2 since then and it got better, but still there somewhat. Anyone else have this issue, and if not should they not be super quiet throughout.

Really like this set, but not so sure I would give the sound 11/11, the music, absolutely. The sound is sweet as can be, it just might be the surface noise that has me hesitant.

6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Mine are silent and it's honestly the best purchase I've made this year.

scotti likes this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Same

scotti likes this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I wonder how AS will handle my issue as there was surface noise scattered on all 12 sides, not constant mind you, but enough to warrant replacements if they do not get any better. Thanks for your response. Crazy as the records look absolutely perfect.

musictoad likes this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just to consider something, what makes "being in the room" equate to stereo? To me, it's about vividness and presence, not stereo spread. I mean, if you're in the back of Symphony Hall, it's not like you're getting a whole lot of stereo "imaging". There are some incredible mono recordings that give me a great sense of thereness.

Elofan likes this.
  10. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Seems like a valid reason for replacement discs. I know you clean your records really well too so it's gotta be the records you received. And this is the kind of music where anything other than silent vinyl just isn't going to cut it. Hoping they sort it out for you, they are stunning.

Sneezyachew and AnalogJ like this.
  11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It's not the mono in general, it's about many of the sought after Blue Notes being mono fold downs with a healthy amount of compression that removes any sense of "in the room" presence verses an AAA stereo reissue that removes the veils. In the Facebook jazz groups I'm in, saying that a MM title is superior to an original will start a ruckus. And those yelling the loudest are the ones who like their fold down monos.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Pelts, timzigs, Twinsfan007 and 6 others like this.
  12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

It almost sounds like the surface noise from an early press from the stamper. When I'm fortunate to get test pressings, and knowing how few of those are cut, I have gotten the same type of surface noise only to have it clear up after a couple more cleanings and spins. Got some serious listening in front of me later on today. I'm really easy going in regards to this stuff, so I will just be patient and hear how it all turns out...Thanks!

recstar24 and musictoad like this.
  13. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Finally listening to the Speak No Evil SRX. I think I just crapped myself. So alive and present. But I got some stitching on side one. The music overpowers it but it's there. OCD kicking in. What to do?

14. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hah. I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

15. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

This is a true world class collection. What are a few of your favorites?

btf1980 likes this.
  16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Let us know where it is? There’s some tape damage during the head on the first track. It’s on the standard MM 33 as well, but more audible (to me) on the SRX.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  17. Dr. J.

It's there at the end of the first track and at the beginning of the second and towards the end of the first side. You can see it here in the pic. In general, it's kind of noisy throughout.

[​IMG]

18. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I am a sucker for Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers. Not just because of Art, but because the various lineups included Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Kenny Dorham, Hank Mobley, Bobby Timmons, Jymie Merritt, Curtis Fuller etc. The Jazz Messengers' lineups packed in some of my favorite musicians of all time.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Ah, bummer.

20. Dr. J.

Yeah, I'll write MM right now. Judging from responses here, I should be able to get a replacement, right?

21. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Remember my abundant joy on Friday?
    Well, I woke this morning to find a refund in my paypal account, and my order cancelled. No explanation.
    Has anybody else had this happen?
    If I find out they have some ******** policy about not shipping to freight forwarders - I may just throw all my existing copies out the mother****ing window in protest..

22. Allegedly no replacements available for the last two SRX titles but write them and let us know what they say.

23. Dr. J.

Oye vey, you're right: Carol just wrote and said there were no replacements. There seems to be an issue with RTI. What am I to do? $85 is pretty rich for a flawed record but this was #1 on my list of SRX and I was lucky enough to wake up early and snag one. Why wouldn't they offer me a coupon or something? Do they get money back from RTI?

Sneezyachew, Vic Trola and mikeyt like this.
  24. Inexcusable IMO. However, personally I would keep it. Maybe the other noise could clear up with a few more plays and an additional cleaning. And the record even as VG+ is likely worth far more than replacement value. But that’s just me, I would totally understand if people don’t want to deal with that hassle and just get your money back.

Dr. J. likes this.
  25. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I was checking out the Music Matters site and I apologize for not reading all past pages. When there is the same title that is an SRX 33 1/3 version as well as a 45 rpm version, which sounds better? I know that the SRX vinyl is super quiet but I thought 45's capture a broader frequency range.....I was expecting the SRX titles to also be 45 rpm but they aren't. So I am confused as my inclination is to go with the 45 rpm....

I read MMJ's statement about the translucent nature of the vinyl. Sounds like Original Master Recording vinyl.

Echoes Myron likes this.