Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Blasphemy

:D

2. Received two incoming MMJ titles today - Mode for Joe and Speak Like a Child. Joe is up first. Gave it a nice deep clean with my record doctor and slapped it on the platter. Fire up the motor and put the needle down. I race back to my listening spot and buckle up. "Man, this sounds AWFUL" was my first thought. Rolled off, dull, slow. Then I realized the belt has slipped off the 45rpm part and up to the 33 rpm :laugh:. Got that sorted out and fired her back up. This sounds AMAZING. Absolutely slaughters my French DMM issue. I just finished up disc 2, and this one immediately has vaulted way up my list of favorite MMJs.

Speak Like a Child will probably have to wait until later this afternoon to be cleaned and played, as I have work to get done. And while I often will give new purchases a first spin/grade on my office system, I want these on the big rig. Great way to spend a lunch break.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Where'd you find that Mode For Joe?

4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'm glad for you. I passed on the MMJ 45 Mode For Joe because I had a mint DMM 33. Slaughtered, eh? :cry:

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. It took a long time looking and a lot of negotiation, but I was able to secure it off eBay as a package deal with Speak Like a Child. Got them for $140 each, which I am very happy with. Shipping and tax added quite a bit to that number though.

Thank you :tiphat:

I have not directly A/B’d but I am quite familiar with my DMM copy as it got a lot of plays. Mine isn’t anywhere near mint, though. Maybe entry VG+.

The MMJ is much fuller, with a lot more presence and inner detail. Very “in the room” feel to it. This one was cut in 2013, arguably when MMJ was at their absolute peak. Depends how much you like the album, but I am very happy with the upgrade, despite the very large price difference.

6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Wow that’s a great deal. Very jealous of Joe!

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not sure, but I dont think "Mode For Joe" is a very well recorded album. Ill have to listen to my MMJ 45 again.

8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Yeah... you will. It's a little dense due to how much is going on but it sounds incredible to me.

Crazysteve and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  9. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Jealous! Congrats!

Shh @musictoad! You can sell your copy to me, @mpayan :agree:

musictoad and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  10. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Why wouldn’t you just listen to it again and then comment?

11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Because Ive listened to it many times, read commentary on the recording and thats what I recall. And thats why I said Id listen again to verify?

12. Crazysteve

I know you’re always coming from a positive point of view.:laugh:

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sure! How does $450.00 sound? :righton:

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ive said many things positive in my time at the forums and many things neutral and many things negative.

Not sure what your problem is with me, but how about refocusing on something else :)

15. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Hahaha my bad! I'm confident you'll find your copy eventually and we'll all celebrate with you when you do. :cheers:

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  16. Crazysteve

I love Sonny Clark and I love Herbie Hancock. Kenny Drew is even further under the radar as a great pianist. These are my new two back to back records to listen to that greatness.
    [​IMG]

Bryce, birchstick, Mugrug12 and 4 others like this.
  17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Well, congratulations! First, a trip to the big dance and now this -- what a way to start the year! :cheers:

And funny you should mention listening at 33 rpm...the other night I listened to a whole side of Cafe Bohemia 2 at 33 before realizing it :doh:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Crazysteve and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  18. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Night Dreamer 45 is back in stock at $125 on MMJ.

19. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

20. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

When was the last time MMJ listed new titles for sale? Burell/Shorter SRX releases of June 2020?

Since then they've only bumped up prices on in stock titles, restocked old titles at inflated prices, and released the occasional "we're not finished" message. Power to them as they're clearly still moving product, but really... how much longer can they go on this way?

AnalogJ and GentleSenator like this.
  21. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

While supplies last?

timzigs, recstar24 and GentleSenator like this.
  22. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yeah, I keep thinking about this. I have most all of the titles on either format, and keep thinking about double dipping on a few 45s like Afro-Cuban, Point of Departure, and Rollins Vol 1. Am I being silly for considering this, or are the rest of you as nuts as me? :crazy:

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If you are anything like me, you are most likely bored and have money to spare like the rest of the vinyl addicts out there. And yes I include myself in that group based on how often I visit the MM site and how I try to justify buying more stuff that I don’t need.

Biff Jones and timzigs like this.
  24. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

That Night Dreamer will be gone by the end of lunch. Looks like there's only 6 copies left.

25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Thats what it was last week too and now its back...