Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Forum Resident

Inner Urge back in stock. I just grabbed a copy.

2. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Or buy two for $125, sell one on eBay for $250.
    If you can’t beat em...

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  3. Jeffrey Weiss

Yes, if you still have the 33, I’d be happy to give you your $125 back:)

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I only have Idle Moments on the standard MM 33. I bought it on a whim when the MM was released. It quickly became one of my handful of favorite Blue Note albums, and turned me onto Grant Green. The title cut is killer. But so are pretty much all of the cuts.

The AP 45 gets relatively so-so reviews. Is the SRX really all that much better than the standard MM 33? If so, on what ways?

On the standard 33, the sonics are rich, the images are large, and the dynamics are very good. Perhaps the leading edge transients are not quite as taut as the best, and maybe this could use a tad more air, but I can easily live with this pressing. But if there were one that was even more alive, I'd be interested.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  5. Jeffrey Weiss

SRX is better than the AP which is better/different than the MMJ33.
    SRX has a very low noise floor and is just more forward and alive.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Thanks.

A couple of things -

Could you post your equipment in your profile to help get a better idea of what you listen through?

And how is the AP better/different than the 33?

7. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

lol, of course. Freaking MMJ.

Swordsandchains and AnalogJ like this.
  8. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Is the trumpet distorted on the MM open Sesame like it is on the classic reissue?

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

They must have been near those Night Dreamers down the back of the couch.

FWatty, recstar24 and Swordsandchains like this.
  10. Jeffrey Weiss

Yes, sorry about that but unfortunately I have three listening rooms between two homes and a mixed bag of equipment. Nothing spectacular mind you as I am slowly seeking to build one “main system”. I would say the room most used is vintage Pioneer amplifier SA9800, various turntables usually with Nagaoka MP-150MM, Project S-Box tube phono stage and Focal Aria 936 speakers. Room size is 12.5 x 11.5 so much smaller than I would like. I don’t put too much stock in looking at a list of equipment because the room has almost as much to do with the sounds as the gear.

I’ll work on building a profile so as to be a little more transparent.

Regarding the AP, I find it very warm and rich. Even more so than many of my MMJ45s. Frankly, I’m not thrilled with that presentation which is why I qualified better with different. Not really sure I should say better as I find them almost night and day opposites.

If push came to shove, I personally would keep the MM33 over the AP because I am partial to the 33 experience. I just feel I can get into a better listening state with the 33. Although the richness of the 45 is a great contrast with the SRX which I think is more forward and separated which is generally what ai prefer. I will probably keep both of those and choose based on my mood. I’m not a musician so I can’t give you a technical, or even an intellectual viewpoint. My opinions are coming more as emotional opinions rather than cerebral ones. Idle Moments may be my very favorite jazz track and the dead quiet of the SRX really helps eliminate anything that might take away from the experience.

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Really the only type of opinion that matters. Anyone listening to this stuff academically is missing the entire point.

Jeffrey Weiss, Pelts, Admerr and 5 others like this.
  12. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Finishing my evening and weekend with Speak No Evil (SRX). Alright, maybe I don’t want the 45 - side two of this on SRX is a sonic and euphoric treat that I’d hate to break up.

[​IMG]

kt66brooklyn, ETSEQ, Elofan and 4 others like this.
  13. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I checked out a new record store here in Austin yesterday and they have 4 MM titles for sale.

The Johnson brothers who used to work at Sound Gallery until it shut its doors have opened their own store on S. Congress with LP's, vintage stereos, mid-century style furniture, etc. Very cool place. Enzo remembered I used to buy all the MM titles back when they were $34.99 and then $39.99. So he went in the back and pulled out the following:

• MM45 - Donald Byrd Royal Flush
    • MM45 - Elvin Jones Genesis
    • MM33 - Sonny Clark Cool Struttin'
    • MM33 - Tina Brooks True Blue
    I have all of those titles already and mentioned I would make a post here as a public service. They are priced at a premium but I suggest if you want any of those titles, do your homework and give them a call. I did tell him the Elvin Jones was available recently for $49.99 on the MM site. The Tina Brooks is still available on the MM site, but perhaps you can point that out and get a slightly better deal than from MM. Royal Flush was priced pretty high but it's still much lower than what I see on eBay and Discogs.

Living in Stereo

Dubmart, timzigs, musictoad and 6 others like this.
  14. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I wanted to thank you for the public service. I was able to order Royal Flush which is one of the few remaining that I’m searching for. Thanks for paying it forward! I’ll try to do the same.

15. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Nice, man! So happy I could help a fellow forumite and a fledgling local business.

16. You will not be disappointed!! The going rate on this one is quite high, but for good reason. One of the absolute best in the entire catalog. And it’s Herbie’s Blue Note debut - historic, to say the least. Enjoy!!

Sneezyachew, TheoJ and Crazysteve like this.
  17. jazzsurfer

Can anyone share their opinion of the MM early blue Notes still available on the music matter site?Talking about the ones that were original Lexington pressings? thanks

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

What do you want to know?

kt66brooklyn and AnalogJ like this.
  19. jazzsurfer

How do they measure up to the originals

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Oh. They cost hundreds to thousands of dollars less, for one thing.

Scanning the Music Matters available titles, you’re asking about Gil Mellé Patterns in Jazz, Kenny Derham Afro-Cuban, Hank Mobley Quartet, J.R. Monterose, Lee Morgan Indeed, Kenny Dorham ‘Round about Midnight at the Café Bohemia, Sonny Rollins Vol. 1, and Clifford Brown Memorial Album.

They all sound probably as good as they could sound, cutting from the original master tapes between 2007 and 2013, without applying limiting or compression. That mastering approach is obviously different from what RVG did. Music Matters gives you the bass and treble regions without doing much EQ; RVG rolled off the top and bottom and boosted around 100Hz and 6kHz.

21. jazzsurfer

kind of puzzled why these have not sold out being the originals are so pricy. maybe cause some are stereo?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Different fetishes. Collectors fetishize the “real thing” and audiophiles fetishize good sound. Different markets chasing different dragons.

Vic Trola, Hicks, Anselmo and 3 others like this.
  23. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Some people also dont like 45rpm or want to spend $60 on a record

DeRosa and jazzsurfer like this.
  24. You realize originals for these titles are very expensive, right? $60 is child’s play compared to an original Indeed!, JR Monterose, or many other OG Blue Notes.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If they were all 33's I think they would have sold out quicker. Not saying I wanted them to be, just sayin

Nathan Aaron, kt66brooklyn and DeRosa like this.