Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Got my copy of Solid yesterday. Sounds awesome, so glad to finally have this on vinyl.

2. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Nice! The hardest part for me was choosing which titles to get out of the 4. I didn't have any of them and went with A Night in Tunisia and Adam's Apple, but man. I really felt like I could have switched out Adam's Apple for either Inner Urge or Solid and been equally as happy and still questioning if I chose the right titles. Solid is one of Grants best imo.

Dmann201, mikeyt and ETSEQ like this.
  3. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

thanks. This has a new owner.

LivLif likes this.
  4. Musically I’d put Adam’s Apple on a tier above the other three. Inner Urge would be second, followed by ANiT and Solid.

All four are great albums but Adams Apple is a cut above IMO

5. Vibrolux_Reverb

Current Discog prices for the new releases

Adams Apple - $149.99
    Solid - $149.99
    Inner Urge - $149.99
    A Night in Tunisia - $199

6. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I absolutely agree with this. I listened to Adam’s Apple last night. Then I listened to it again. Then put on Solid, and while it’s great, I think Adam’s Apple is musically just so much more interesting than a lot of titles I’ve listened to lately.

Also, let me give MMJ customer service some credit. My two orders were actually combined and I got both shipping charges refunded today, despite my shipping notice stating they were coming separately.

7. ETSEQ

ETSEQ Forum Resident

Personally I went with Adam's Apple and Solid (finances did not allow me to buy all 4, but I would have if money was no object). My reasoning was: (1) those two albums are particularly special for me; and (2) I think Night in Tunisia and Inner Urge have a higher likelihood of being reissued as Blue Note Classics within the next couple of years.

8. Vibrolux_Reverb

I was thinking the same, which is why I kind of debated on Solid as well. I figured JuJu and Night Dreamer would come before Adams Apple, and I also figured that about 4 or 5 Green titles would come before Solid. However A Night In Tunisia, although it may be the next Blakey title or the one after, is one of my all time favorites. I couldn't pass up the chance of having it as a MMJ release.

Dignan2000, ETSEQ and mikeyt like this.
  9. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Enjoy the records you got and don't give it another thought!

Vibrolux_Reverb likes this.
  10. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I think Adam's Apple would be up there on the reissue list too, and since I already have a BN75 (not perfect, but gets the job done) and didn't have Solid, I chose Solid. Plus even though I can afford it, $200 on records in one shot is just pushing it.

11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I just listened to my Adam's Apple SRX last night as it has been awhile, and was absolutely headsmacked at how ridiculously good it sounds. I've been sharing with my friend who is all digital some archival vinyl rips I've been doing for fun, and he had commented at how amazing it sounds. I'd imagine the normal 33 will give you the same kind of goods!

12. Vibrolux_Reverb

I want my package so badly now. Because of Hurricane Ida our mail is so backlogged, there is no telling when I will get it. It has been pretty much floating around on a truck somewhere between Memphis TN and New Orleans for the past 6 days.

mikeyt likes this.
  13. Mine hasn’t even been shipped yet :mad:

14. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Just opened my package and pretty pissed off, all 3 (green, blakey, and shorter) of the new release have massive 3inch seam splits on the top of the jackets and my Gil Melle also was split on the bottom of the jacket.

Only my Jackie Mclean - and Tina Brooks were undamaged

lets see how Carol handles this, im not paying $90 for split to hell jackets…

AnalogJ likes this.
  15. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Keep us posted - verrrrrry curious how they respond.

AnalogJ, GentleSenator and Bigdz68 like this.
  16. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I rank Shorter:

Adam’s Apple
    Ju Ju
    Speak No Evil

I’ve never quite warmed up to Speak No Evil despite multiple listens. Adam’s Apple and Ju Ju made an immediate connection.

17. Swordsandchains

oh i will. Its replacement jackets or a return and refund for me, no other options are acceptable to me.

18. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

If you can't get the replacement jackets, I imagine there may be some members here who missed out and would buy the seam split copies off you for full original price. Just another option

19. You will likely end up with a return and refund. The last few issues I've had with jackets I was more or less told "take it or leave it".

Hell, there was non-fill on my Maiden Voyage SRX. They were supposed to get replacements after lockdown. I followed up a few months later and was net with the same "take it or leave it" response. But even with the split second of non-fill it was worth over 3x the refund value, so why would I return it?

20. This would be a better route. It would be a shame for these records to go to waste because of seam splits. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

G E likes this.
  21. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’d put Night Dreamer at the top myself. And Soothsayer too but I’m not sure if that’s because the MMJ is a grail for me. But I love that it has Tony Williams on it. for now the 80s copy with ugly cover will have to do. If anyone wants to unload a Sooth Sayer though , let me know!!

It took me a long time to really love Speak No Evil - I don’t get why that one is the ‘super classic’ vs Juju, Nightdreamer - but I really like it now. Hard to go wrong with that period of Wayne. Etc is killer too.

22. Vibrolux_Reverb

Interesting. Not the order, just that SNE never clicked for you, but the others did. I honestly think every one of his blue note efforts are amazing. If I had to rank them, it would probably look like this

1 - JuJu
    2- Speak No Evil
    3 - Adams Apple
    4 - The Soothsayer
    5 - The Nightdreamer
    6 - Emanon
    7 - Et Cetera
    8 - Schizophrenia
    9 - Without a Net
    10 - Oddysey of Iska
    11 - Supernova
    12 - The All Seeing Eye
    13 - Moto Grosso Feio

ETSEQ likes this.
  23. Swordsandchains

thats an option as well, but family and friends payment isnt allowed here and im not dealing with having to do paypal fees and taxes.

24. Swordsandchains

id take a couple seconds of non fill over split jackets

25. Vibrolux_Reverb

Speak No Evil is classic, because imo it has the better melodies and the album itself sticks to the mood and theme better than his other works. That said, I still prefer JuJu most of all.