Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Finally, something we agree on :)

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  2. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Probably less incentive to do 2x45 when the plants are so backed up, unless they're doing premium vinyl and charging $100+

Swordsandchains likes this.
  3. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

I wouldn’t mind this.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  4. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is logical and l like this but in the $50-$60 range would be nice. MMJ would be great if they could do that but they basically base their prices on One Steps these days. I love them (70+ titles) but they are dependent on cult following and that deep couch :)laugh:) to keep their pulse going. I also understand a bit on some of these later price increases as their supply in dwindling and they aren't in a rush to sell. Also, the leftovers on contracts being so exclusive. I was even willing to spend $90 on Adam's Apple so I'm guilty as well. I was on vacation hiking out in Wyoming/Idaho so I missed the crack to get in. I'm glad some were able to fill in some holes and enjoy some great music!

5. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

If they did 2x45rpm super vinyl… I’d pay $100

Twinsfan007 and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. Swordsandchains

theyd probably charge $150+, they just sold of $90 tone poets in a day lol

7. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Unfortunately, MMJ was the only player when the "Blue Note" surge began a few years ago. Analogue Productions also got in the "Blue Note" game as well. Now with both the quality of "Tone Poet" and the "Blue Note 80th & Blue Note Classic" series the competition is most likely too much for a small company. Like so many others, I was fortunate to purchase most if not all of the 45/33/ and all of the SRX. Too bad MMJ are gauging the prices now which is probably another sign that the end is near. Once they empty their stock that will be it. Without a doubt the most professional presentation in sound/quality/ and aesthetics for vinyl. We're lucky the "Tone Poets" are continuing that.

Bulsara likes this.
  8. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

Personally I hope the majors are smart enough to be loose with licenses to niche titles and labels that are just collecting dust. Chad Kassem did a video with VMP head Cameron Schaefer who mentioned that the majors are sometimes confused why VMP even wants to license certain titles. You can imagine someone like UMG or Craft wouldn’t easily risk the spend for AAA tip-on releases of boutique stuff like the Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby.

I feel like there’s a window for 3rd party labels to dig deeper into the vaults. Maybe not MM. But if someone else with the money and passion approached Craft and asked to license titles from the Savoy catalog (if those RVG tapes still exist), for example, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t let a tiny label bear the risk for big Craft to still make some money. The jazz vinyl market is nutty right now and fresh stuff sells lightning fast.

Maybe I just don’t understand the calculus. But I know if I ever come into the money needed to finance that kind of thing, there are a lot of titles I’d love to see reissued properly.

9. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

:laugh: True

10. Lobster Graham Funk

Lobster Graham Funk Well-Known Member

For a potentially $100+ next release set of MMJ titles, I’m sure that Universal could work out a licensing fee that’d make sense. They could likely license for more than Tone Poet clears.

There is a whole catalog of amazing non-war horse titles to play with that would only sell as a premium under the MMJ badge.

Twinsfan007, mikeyt and YEX 750-1 like this.
  11. Swordsandchains

ill take some Cecil Taylor titles

Lucca90, NorthNY Mark and mikeyt like this.
  12. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Amen! In the case of Blue Note, the catalog is so vast that a 3rd parties like VMP, MMJ, etc. can become vehicles for digging deeper into the vaults and pushing out more product, all without interfering with the label owned reissue series campaigns like BNC and Tone Poet.

Cervelo, mikeyt and YEX 750-1 like this.
  13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

At the risk of repeating myself, Tone Poets are not really “continuing” anything, IMO.

Unless you consider gatefold covers somehow above the music itself, Tone Poet is probably putting out about half of its catalog from passed on its day, medium to sometimes even low-shelf Blue Note. Some of the sessions are crap. The Rajah, The Kicker, Minor Move…. that stuff being dressed up in decent looking covers can’t hide what it is once the needle drops.

Granted, you also get Katanga, The Phantom, Further Explorations, Byrd In Flight and so on. But in light of the absolute four STUNNERS just repressed by MMJ, I am only saying that no way is TP on this level. Just isn’t the same kind of overall approach.

My 2c.

14. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Given the Harley was a big part of both MMJ and now the Tone Poet series it is hard to say there isn't a continuation on some level. MMJ picked the cream of the cream and Harley said they wouldn't repeat titles so by definition Tone Poet was going to include "lesser" titles. It also seems like part of Harley's goal was to bring to the surface titles which hadn't been reissued before. Some are great and some are not. But, if MMJ did continue to add titles I find it hard to believe that some of the Tone Poets wouldn't have made the cut.

Korato69, Sneezyachew, Dai and 7 others like this.
  15. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

One person's crap is another's fortune :). I believe I'm one of the few who enjoys Minor Move...even stretched for the King before the TP was released. And The Kicker had no previous vinyl release and is certainly of musical quality, IMO, to deserve one. But I respect personal tastes, and absolutely agree that MMJ is on another level which would be expected when you're first to the trough.

16. I always send PayPal family & friends payments to people I know when I buy their records. And that’s what I except too

Didn’t know it’s not allowed here

JorgeGvb likes this.
  17. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Hey Folks.

Carol at MMJ emailed me that they had a few cancellations so I ordered Solid and Adam's Apple 33's. I already ordered Inner Urge so maybe they have a copy or 2 of that one as well.

If you missed out, maybe check in with her.

18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Fair points.

I guess I am more speaking to the notion I’ve sometimes seen that “Oh, well, we’ve got Tone Poet now so if MMJ is gone/too high priced we don’t need them.” That kind of thing.

To me Tone Poet is its own thing. Harley and Gray, sure, but the focus on so many of those sessions Blue Note didn’t put out until the late ‘70s and beyond is really different to what MMJ have done. Plus they are reaching beyond Blue Note. And the latter part I am glad for!

I’ve got probably 25-30 Tone Poets and love the series. Just saying that for me Music Matters is the Blue Note gold standard, and if anyone was going to “continue” it I suppose at this point it would have to UMe. And the “Classic” series shows they will at least try to get the AAA sound going, but the covers are a complete joke and don’t give the same pride if ownership.

I’m complimenting Music Matters for having a three point focus that nobody else seems quite able to do like they do: 1. Session quality. 2. Sound. 3. Packaging.

So I hope they keep going. 33s are fine. Seems 45s are done but if they folded I just don’t at this point quite see anything else quite continuing what they do.

recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It's one of the rules for official Classifieds listings.

Twinsfan007 and Mazzy like this.
  20. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

21. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

Agree with you whole heartedly....but last but not least...don't forget about their wonderful website that crashes....

22. Well then :tiphat:

mikeyt likes this.
  23. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

For anyone who cares, the following titles are in stock, under $60, and absolutely fantastic.

Tina Brooks | Back to the Tracks $69.95
    Dexter Gordon | Doin' Alright $49
    Cliff Jordan | Cliff Craft $49.95
    Jack McLean | Swing Swang Swingin' $44.95
    Gill Melle | Patterns in Jazz $49.95
    Hank Mobley | Sextet $49.95
    Freddie Redd | Shades of Redd $49
    Louis Smith | Smithville $49.95

Lucca90, GreatTone, wellers73 and 2 others like this.
  24. The Pop Kids

The Pop Kids Forum Resident

Also, I just secured Night In Tunisia and Solid on account of some order cancellations. Not sure what Carol has left, but worth asking if you missed out.

Dmann201, Briskit and t4t3r like this.
  25. t4t3r

t4t3r Forum Resident

Would love to have Night in Tunisia but too rich for my blood.

mikeyt likes this.