Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

For whatever reason he doesn't like that other people have a differing opinion from him. I don't get it personally. They are both so good, that it is easy to see why someone may prefer one over the other.

ryu likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

But if they're both so good, I'd want them both.

3. Vibrolux_Reverb

I want it ALL! Seriously though. I want it all.

BreakBeat DJ and Biff Jones like this.
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

It’s great to finally know that this issue is not debatable , that it’s a fact not an opinion. It’s all the more amazing, since there are are precious few direct comparisons available, thus this saves all of us a lot of time trying to actually find some and compare.

Perhaps you can post your factual statement on the superiority of 45s every day in this thread rather then every week, just in case some poor hapless soul strays into this thread and gets the wrong idea for a week that 33’s just might be equivalent to 45s, a fate horrible to contemplate.

Admerr, guidedbyvoices, ryu and 4 others like this.
  5. AnalogJ

I'd be happy to. :wave:

Seriously, there are such things as experts. Their opinions, while still opinions, have expertise and experience on the subject can influence policy and action. It's why one should be asking oncologists about their cancer diagnosis rather than the manager of the diner.

If you want to dismiss anyone's opinion here, that's your prerogative. But 1), there are members here who have a more trained ear than others, and some that have better systems than others. They might be able to better discern fidelity than some others.

2) There are opportunities to do direct 33/45 comparisons. If you haven't had an opportunity to experience to seek one or two out, I suggest doing so.

3) Some may just not like the added inconvenience of 45s, no matter what the greater sound. And they may not hear it with their ears and their system. The 33s are not a bad option.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  6. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Does anyone have the 45 of Solid and could do a needledrop?

7. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

The irony, you’re literally dismissing everyone’s opinion to preach how in your “expert” opinion “45’s are better”

Elofan likes this.
  8. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

<thread got boring>

Fender Relic and kt66brooklyn like this.
  9. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I just picked up an original mono pressing of The Jazz Messengers at the Cafe Bohemia, vol 1, Blue Note 1507.

I have the two lp 45 rpm set around here somewhere, I’ll compare and report back.

10. AnalogJ

The 'better' was in parentheses, indicating that it was an opinion. But most of those who have done the comparison been the 33 and 45 MM releases prefer the 45 for the sound.

The 33 is brighter sounding. The 45 is more spacious, and the soundstage and music breathes more.

Anyone can do that comparison for themselves if they get a hold of both editions.

Regarding the sonic superiority of the 45rpm format, that only matters if the rest of the elements are up to snuff. I'd take a brilliantly mastered 33 over a poorly mastered 45.

If you're a doubter as to the superiority of the 45rpm format, find one of the Classic Records 33/45 12" records, of which they put out several.

If you have good ears and a good system, you'll hear a distinct difference between the sides. Not night and day, but significant.

Tom Campbell and kt66brooklyn like this.
  11. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

better is not an opinion. Why does Music Matter have a 1300 page thread? why not Analogue productions? the answer is MM Jazz records are the best, most analog sounding records ever made period. there will always be a few outliers that disagree but the thread speaks for itself.

12. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

1354 page thread is not an opinion. lol

13. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

at least AP is still alive and kicking

14. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

Thats okay, it does not mean they are the best. they also sell audio equipment. Acoustic Sounds I believe....

no 1300 page threads either... lmao

15. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Calm down Carol. :uhhuh:

16. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

The majority of people who buy MMJ or AP records do not post on SHF so using the thread size as a gauge of interest or quality is just silly.

17. Vibrolux_Reverb

Do you guys think that the 4 album drop from a few weeks ago was the absolute last thing they will ever release, or would you speculate that the remaining 2019 SRX titles could get a similar release? I would love a shot at Free For All and Sonny Rollins

18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Music Matters is my favorite jazz reissue label of all time.

But to point out the obvious, Analogue Productions last Blue Note reissue was in 2010. Music Matters did four about a month ago.

If you want to be in a more active AP discussion, find one of the current UHQR threads and go to town.

NorthNY Mark and mikeyt like this.
  19. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Well Inner Urge is coming for the BNC series

mikeyt and this_machine like this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

Really great choice imo. I thought for sure they would do Mode for Joe first, but Inner Urge and In n Out are my favorite of his. Glad they chose this one, although I love all of his work for Blue Note.

21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Don Was has always been very vocal on his fondness for Inner Urge (I believe in interviews that is the album he states sparked his interest in Blue Note as a kid), so not surprising it would be presented as a classic series selection.

Dmann201, mikeyt, ETSEQ and 1 other person like this.
  22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

He’s also been vocal about Mode for Joe, I was sure that’s be interesting this batch. I heard him mention it in a couple different podcasts, that and Speak No Evil

23. dimapro

dimapro Well-Known Member

I will do. :D

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  24. eamesonly

eamesonly Forum Resident

As a long time record collector and was in on the original subscription. My Blue Note 45's are evenly split between AP and Music Matters 45's. I was bummed because I missed the entire 33 and SRX series. However now that they are really starting to reissue with the Blue Note Tone Poet and Blue Note Classic series in 33. I'm thinking down the road the 45's will really stand out in value and collectability. The 33's I don't think as much. MOFI is a great example their 33 offerings aren't in the same league or demand the same prices as their 45's. Hindsight is everything but MM 45's will be the most unique of their offerings. If you want the best sound and need a little exercise of getting up and down-- you have a clear winner!

Dmann201, mikemoon, recstar24 and 6 others like this.
  25. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Does that apply to Lee Morgan's Search For A New Land as well?