Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

2. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

You’re in the wrong part of the world to find first or early Blue Note presses.

3. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

i was wondering this too. I have a Somethin Else, a Sidewinder and a couple others laying around.

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I happily bought nonSRXs of Maiden Voyage and Somethin Else from people here who upgraded. And sold my nonSRX of Speak No Evil and Idle Moments when I upgraded. No need for both. I’d be interested in buying any non-SRX titles depending what it is, if I have it or not. The nonSRX’s of Blue Train, Somethin Else, Maiden Voyage, Search all sound great to me.

5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Rotate This, Sonic Boom, Shortstack Records, Kops Records, and Tiny Record Shop are my favourite shops in Toronto.

Speaking of Rotate This, I remember that I nabbed a used MMJ 33RPM LP of Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder for $50 back in 2017. Over the years, I always found some great music of all sorts at that store and I hope to get back in Toronto in the near-future. June Records used to sell MMJ releases and my friend bought me Joe Henderson's Page One for my birthday. Unfortunately, that shop is long permanently closed. RIP June Records.

mcrichley likes this.
  6. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

Thank you for letting me know!

7. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

Thank you!

8. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Did an A/B of the two. The AP is more relaxed, not as top heavy, instruments are more balanced and the sustain on them is better. I noticed the latter especially on the piano, which of course is important, because it's Herbie caressing the ivory. Both exhibit good separation with perhaps a bit more depth to the AP. Other than flipping twice as much, the nod definitely goes to the AP here.

mikeyt, jgrillo, musictoad and 3 others like this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Basra was one of the LPs that had some flutter issues, as I recall, although minor here. So "totally satisfied?" It's a fine album and still enjoyable via the BN 80. But we also know, for those who appreciate it, the 45s take these albums to another level, and don't have the flutter issues which occur in a certain period of releases in 2019.

10. AnalogJ

Are you talking about Maiden Voyage? The MM sounds like it's from a fresher tape, but the AP is more relaxed and the music flows better, and there's more depth to the soundstage.

NorthNY Mark, Cervelo and vinylshadow like this.
  11. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Let us know how it goes!

12. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Yes I was.

I looked at the MV AP45 price on Discogs and :yikes:

13. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Yeah I wanted one to compare against MMJ 33 but with those prices I’m cool with what I have. lol

Kimiimacman and vinylshadow like this.
  14. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

The AP45 of Maiden Voyage was better than the MM33 to my ears as well, both the regular and SRX. I struggled to get sucked in with the MM33, whereas the AP45 is more airy, natural and engaging.

15. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

My Our Thing arrived yesterday whilst away. Cleaned and ready to go. :goodie:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  16. Kimiimacman

I don’t hear the MMJ that way. Maybe not metal-dome tweeter friendly perhaps? :winkgrin:

Whatever, I’m very happy with the MMJ and don’t feel inclined to invest in any more copies including the new BNC. I do wonder what a MMJ45 might have delivered. Way back, when I had the choice of a 33 & 45 of EI both at £50 I plumbed for the 33. Now I wish I’d bought the 45 or, as the prices have gone bonkers, both!

17. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I even prefer the BG mastered-VMP Anthology Maiden Voyage to the Music Matters SRX.

YEX 750-1 and markmck79 like this.
  18. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Oh, I was exaggerating just for fun.

The MMJ has too much top end to my ears but some people love it. The way it was pitched at the time it came out by Fremer was like it was this breakthrough for MV but I don’t agree. It’s opened up too much for my taste. The AP all day for me but I don’t have a vintage pressing to compare and I haven’t heard the BNC.

19. Kimiimacman

Yes I remember that Fremer post. Wasn’t it supposed to be from a better condition tape from the U.K. of somewhere. I guess JH & KG stuck to their principal of offering what’s on the tape; maybe they would argue it’s a truer representation?

Edit: Fremer wrote,

This new Music Matters reissue is the best sounding Maiden Voyage I’ve ever heard, elevating it from a major Blue Note sonic disappointment to a really great sounding BN. How is that possible? According to Music Matters’ Joe Harley and Ron Rambach, the original tape has long been lost in the vault due to its having been mislabeled. This reissue cut from the original tape sounds takes the album from one that sounds underwater to one that will float your Blue Note boat! Both of these reissues are highly recommended but if you are choosing one, get the Maiden Voyage

Dmann201 likes this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I’m inclined not to buy this explanation. Well, I believe it was from a different source tape but I’ve heard a lot of Blue Note in my time and no way do I believe the master sounds closer to the MM 33 than the AP 45.

I have no proof, of course. Just using a bit of a kind of “educated hunch.”

Crazysteve and Kimiimacman like this.
  21. AnalogJ

I can't speak for Fremer, but there are people who listen for certain kinds of details that don't necessarily relate to the music, that aren't musical qualities. Again, with regard to the AP vs my MM 33 (not-SRX), the 33 has a slightly greater vivid quality on top making it sound more immediate at first listen. But while the AP does sound a bit rolled off on top (and I don't say that for most other AP or MM 45s), its upper midrange on down has an effortlessness to it that the 33 doesn't have. I wrote in my original review that in the opening tuttis of the title track, you can hear the ensemble push into the note and expand it, you hear the greater volume as they push into it; and then pull back on the line. The instruments don't just get louder, but you feel the greater force of their blowing. There's a subtlety to the phrasing with the 45 that I don't hear with the 33. And that subtle micro-dynamic nuance gives life to the AP where the MM 33 sounds more stilted.

So if you're not listening for that, or sensitive to it, the MM may impress more. I get that the MM has a sense of immediacy because of the top end. It's more forward. But the music breathes more with the AP, in my opinion.

22. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

My guess is that the differences are due to the mastering (combined with the different equipment).

23. Kimiimacman

Possibly but if the AP was cut from a dub and the MMJ from the ‘found’ mis-labelled master that too would impact; that plus mastering differences.

24. Kimiimacman

Of course we are talking 33 vs 45 as well which I know you are a particular champion of and in 99% of cases I concur.
    I suspect this could only be finalised by a new 45 cut from the known master, then it would be down to taste and interpretation.

25. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I agree. I will tell you that with good equipment there is minimal difference between a 15ips master and a 15ips copy. I make copies of quality reels using 2 calibrated Studers and they sound almost identical.

nosliw, timzigs, mikeyt and 1 other person like this.