Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. biodawg

biodawg Forum Resident

Yeah, for $495

2. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

The price has gone up...

What did the ebay sale go for? The link just gives 'no longer available'.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  3. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

If it’s indeed the same seller (Vinylparadijs) they were packed VERY well. Records out of the sleeves and bubblewrapped, in a box within a box. Out of curiosity: may I ask which titles you purchased?

The Denmarkian Wonder likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

$485

Dai likes this.
  5. The Denmarkian Wonder

The Denmarkian Wonder Forum Resident

Nice! Yeah, they're the one's :)

I picked up Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental and Stanley Turrentine With The 3 Sounds - Blue Hour.

FunkJazz and jgrillo like this.
  6. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

I went to Cosmos Records and Rotate This on Saturday. I wanted to go to Sonic Boom and Kops on Sunday, but I was very much tied up, so I couldn't go. Rick's Recollections was closed on Sunday, so that didn't work either.

Here are the records that I purchased:

Rotate This
    Bud Powell – The Scene Changes, Vol. 5, Music Matters, 180g, 33 RPM, May 12, 2015 reissue
    Miles Davis – 'Round About Midnight, MFSL, Mono, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2013 reissue
    Frank Sinatra – Sinatra Swings, MFSL, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2011 reissue
    Art Pepper – So In Love, Analogue Productions, 45 RPM, 2-LP reissue
    Frank Sinatra – Sinatra & String, MFSL, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2009 reissue
    Pink Floyd ‎– The Dark Side Of The Moon, Harvest ‎– SMAS-11163, Canada, 1973 issue
    Free Large T-shirt

Cosmos West Records
    John Coltrane ‎– My Favorite Things, Atlantic ‎– P-7505A, Japan, Nov 25, 1976 reissue
    Big John Patton – Oh Baby!, Blue Note – BLP 4192, Mono, 1965 first press
    Freddie Hubbard – The Night Of The Cookers - Live At Club La Marchal, Volume 2, Blue Note – BLP 4208, Mono, 1966 first press
    Stanley Turrentine – Hustlin', Blue Note – BLP 4162, Mono, 1965 first press
    The Three Sounds – Moods, Blue Note – BLP 4044, Mono, 1960 first press

7. Britto Vincent

Britto Vincent Forum Resident

I went to Cosmos Records and Rotate This on Saturday. I wanted to go to Sonic Boom and Kops on Sunday, but I was very much tied up, so I couldn't go. Rick's Recollections was closed on Sunday, so that didn't work either.

Here are the records that I purchased:

Rotate This
    Bud Powell – The Scene Changes, Vol. 5, Music Matters, 180g, 33 RPM, May 12, 2015 reissue
    Miles Davis – 'Round About Midnight, MFSL, Mono, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2013 reissue
    Frank Sinatra – Sinatra Swings, MFSL, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2011 reissue
    Art Pepper – So In Love, Analogue Productions, 45 RPM, 2-LP reissue
    Frank Sinatra – Sinatra & String, MFSL, 180 gram, 33 RPM, 2009 reissue
    Pink Floyd ‎– The Dark Side Of The Moon, Harvest ‎– SMAS-11163, Canada, 1973 issue
    Free Large T-shirt

Cosmos West Records
    John Coltrane ‎– My Favorite Things, Atlantic ‎– P-7505A, Japan, Nov 25, 1976 reissue
    Big John Patton – Oh Baby!, Blue Note – BLP 4192, Mono, 1965 first press
    Freddie Hubbard – The Night Of The Cookers - Live At Club La Marchal, Volume 2, Blue Note – BLP 4208, Mono, 1966 first press
    Stanley Turrentine – Hustlin', Blue Note – BLP 4162, Mono, 1965 first press
    The Three Sounds – Moods, Blue Note – BLP 4044, Mono, 1960 first press

mcrichley likes this.
  8. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

"Some of the AP titles trump their MMJ counterparts sonically" lol.... i doubt it.

9. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

You've never heard an AP equivalent, have you. :rolleyes:

I also have several AP titles I prefer over the MMJ. It's not a minority opinion.

10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Carol, is this you?

11. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

I mean a lot of them were mastered by KPG/our host and pressed at QRP... there is no reason other than possibly the tape source that they wouldn't be as good at the very least as MMJ - and agreed that there are still good deals out there on OOP AP 45s (like $35 a pop)

mikeyt and musictoad like this.
  12. Uhh, I own both label’s releases of the same title for double digit albums it is absolutely true.

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Which are the biggest improvements in your opinion of the AP being better than the MM? I only have one AP blue note (green street). Music sounds great, cover is cheap. For the lower prices though I’m interested in checking out a few more. Or if I get lucky their Blue Train since it’s stereo

14. Generally, much of the same improvements I hear between MMJ 33s and 45s. The 45s are more open, spacious, and natural. The micro dynamics are much more nuanced and the harmonics better rendered.

At first listen the 45s seem more laid back, but the listening experience as a whole is more satisfying and “real” feeling.

This is a general statement, and while true to my ears for the majority, not for every single title.

15. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

There's only one title where I've done a comparison between the AP and MMJ and preferred the MMJ and it's the SRX of Idle Moments. Bobby's vibes are more crystalline on the SRX and the AP is just a little too anemic.

Twinsfan007, mikeyt, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  16. I prefer both Blue Train and Blues Walk SRX, but they are both mono where the APs are stereo. Not the best comparison.

I reach for my Midnight Blue MMJ 33 (standard vinyl) when I want to listen to that title, and I have the SRX and AP also. The MMJ just does something extra for me on that title, but I’ve never done the proper A/B(/C). The standard vinyl was pressed better than my SRX, hence me reaching for that over the SRX.

17. grvcraig99

grvcraig99 Forum Resident

You're right, the Elvin Jones is excellent! Hadn't heard it before, very unique trio. I have Genesis, which is amazing, now this one.

18. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

what's the most you folks have paid for any MMJ 33 (non-SRX)? One I want is selling in the $150-200 range, but damn that's a lot...

19. I personally wouldn’t go there for a 33, SRX or not, but I have gone higher for 45s so I would never fault someone who will. If it’s a title you want and you can afford it, I say go for it. I’ve overspent on a few MMJs and never regretted it one bit once the record hit my table.

20. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Unless it’s an MMJ that was only released as a 33 and doesn’t have an AP45 release, I too would not spend that much and get the 45.

These are the MMJ 33’s that don’t have an AP45 or MMJ45 version. I’d probably only consider Wahoo! and Blue Hour At that price point.

Duke Pearson - Wahoo!
    Jackie McLean - Right Now!
    Kenny Clarke - The Golden Eight
    Stanley Turrentine - Blue Hour

21. All are “must haves” IMO. I have to retract a part of my previous statement, though, I think I did spend exactly $150 on Wahoo!

But I somewhat disagree with the “if there’s an AP it’s not worth it,” stance, personally. Because there are some 33s I prefer to 45s, which feels redundant as I posted this in the past day or two. But an album like Blue Train or Blues Walk, if you love the mono, you have to go MMJ. And I prefer both of those (though in SRX form) over the APs. I have never heard a standard vinyl Blue Train, but I don’t think that would sway my opinion to the AP.

22. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Which is the best version…

MMJ SRX
    AP45rpm

23. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

or regular 33 ;-) (guessing 45 will win this one from what I've read here)

24. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

im thinking the same. Thought I’d ask though. I’ve compared classic 33, MMJ 33 and MMJ SRX. SRX came out on top.

25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Just picked up the AP45 and it'll land next week. Only have the regular MMJ though.