Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. The Denmarkian Wonder

The Denmarkian Wonder Forum Resident

Man, you weren't kidding about the packing haha

[​IMG]

2. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

Of course not, packaging is serious business! :uhhuh: Enjoy!

3. G E

G E Senior Member

When we moved into our present house in 1998, I thought our location toward the top of a hill would be just the ticket to avoid flood problems. Unbeknownst to me, 3 planes of our roofing converged at our chimney. We had rain coming down our chase and into the fireplace! Max bummer! But the repair folks used a commercial grade product, a type of asphalt webbing that stopped that trouble 100%. No problems since, even with a re-roof a while back.

Back to Tone Poet.

Has anyone heard if they will release Bud Powell's Blue Note recordings? They are hard to come by in good shape for a reasonable price. I snoozed too long on MMJ's issue. It was $34 for a long time. Then BANG! $75 and BANG! Gone....

:-(

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  4. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Plus a back up batterie power source located up high. The tome you need sump pump is usually accompanied by power loss

btf1980 likes this.
  5. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

picked up Bluesnik and Cape Verdean for just under what they sold for when they went out OOS - not great, but OK at this point I guess - there was an Ike Quebec Easy Living for $175 that was there when I went to bed and gone when I woke up on Discogs last night - anyone here grab it? ;-)

Elofan and mikeyt like this.
  6. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

SCORE!!!

Just picked up

Wayne Shorter - JuJu for $125 (looks unplayed)
    Joe Henderson - Our Thing $68 (looks unplayed)

I have to start going easy on these, lol, but for titles like JuJu at that price point, I just couldn't resist.

7. inaudible

inaudible Forum Resident

That’s a great score. I just paid more for a copy of Juju that had an estate stamp on the back cover

8. Vibrolux_Reverb

I got around to spinning both Our Thing and JuJu last night.

For starters Our Thing really blew me away musically. I had streamed it before, but never had a proper pressing and never listened to it through my system. Just ear buds. This is one of those cases where the MMJ treatment really elevates the music. I liked it before, but I love it now.

JuJu I had read some bad reviews on this website, saying that it was one of Rudys worst days.

I think it sounds fantastic. Which means average by Music Matters standards. Not a great one, but nothing seemed off either. I compared it with my 80's DMM reissue and it definitely bettered it with realism from the horns and percussion and bass. The DMM is not bad though. I was kinda impressed after comparing, but it was still no contest which was the better one.

9. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

fyi, Tom Cat 45 back in stock (20 copies)

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  10. Vibrolux_Reverb

I noticed that Acoustic Sounds has a few titles backordered, and they are all titles that are currently in stock at Music Matters.

Do you think it is worth snagging an album or two in hopes that they get those copies in? Some of them are considerably cheaper.

11. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

I mean, you could make a backorder I guess - you only get charged when they ship - but honestly I doubt MMJ will ever be sending any copies out of house again at this point

12. I thought Acoustic Sounds stopped allowing backorders of non-AP titles?

Very slim chance they ever get fulfilled, but you never know. I don’t think they will let you place the order though.

13. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  14. Thanks! I snagged this. I’ve been looking for it for a while and it’s the cheapest I’ve found it.

15. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Sweet!

16. FunkJazz

I just welcomed One Step Beyond to the flock.
    Great session and my third MMJ Jackie McLean title.

17. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

If you like that then don't miss Destination... Out! and Grachan Moncur's Evolution to complete the 'trilogy'. I was listening to Evolution just yesterday... one of my top three Blue Notes, possibly my top.

18. FunkJazz

Destination... Out! (45rpm) is one of my others. Right Now! (33rpm) is the third. Evolution is on my wantlist, but it’s scarce and expensive, especially here in Europe. It’s great though, have it on CD. I might go for another version eventually.

n2000s, Elofan and Dai like this.
  19. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

One Step Beyond, Destination... Out!, and Evolution do suit the 45rpm format very well, each being just four long tracks, and being almost mini tone poems in nature, plus having vibes in the mix, also benefit particularly well from the MMJ sound quality and RTI pressing.

20. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

Is it just me or do you find indeed to be a slightly brighter mastering than the other Lee Morgan releases on Music Matters ?

21. Vibrolux_Reverb

^^^^^

Indeed is so good. Honestly one of Lee's better sessions that doesn't really get the praise I feel like it deserves. I would have to put it above Sidewinder for my personal taste, but that is of course subjective. I just love that earlier lee when he had more intensity and drive, despite lacking a little bit more of the sophistication and space that he would later develop.

mikeyt likes this.
  22. Adagio

Adagio Forum Resident

I Agree. Another that I might enjoy even more than Indeed is "Vol 3" .....

[​IMG]

23. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Just missed out on a NM Mode for Joe at $200. Ugh! So mad for being distracted. :realmad:

24. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Hope she was cute :D

bluejimbop, kt66brooklyn and Dai like this.
  25. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

:laugh:

bluejimbop and kt66brooklyn like this.