Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Lot of talk about Evolution on the Tone Poets thread the other day. Maybe a handful of folks finally made a move on purchasing it.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

emailed Carol, hopefully a glitch...

3. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

not a glitch, FML.

this_machine likes this.
  4. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Im a little bummed out. Evolution is out of stock. I was planning on snagging a copy after Xmas, but it doesn’t look like that is happening anymore.

I have kept a close eye on that title. we really don't know how many of any given title is in stock, because it went from about 80 to 0 in a couple of days.
    I dont think listing the titles by availability is accurate at all. As much as I love what MMJ has done, the company continuously fails in every other facet of its business imo. Just a terribly ran website and business model all together.

It was basically the last title I wanted and it looked like it would be around until at least after new years.

Hopefully the Classic Series tackles it ASAP

Bodhi and this_machine like this.
  5. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

Same here. Was worried there might be an influx of purchases so I checked the stock on Monday and figured I'd be alright. Hope springs eternal from the couch.

6. Vibrolux_Reverb

The unfortunate thing about Evolution is that for a title like that, the MMJ version is really the only one worth buying today.
    Any other version is either not going to be digital, or will not play dead silent unless you fork out big money for a mint copy. It is a title that requires a dead quite background imo. Same for Out To Lunch

again. Praying for a Classic Series release

kt66brooklyn and this_machine like this.
  7. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Screw it, I'll just have to make due with my 1000 other jazz albums for now ;-)

o4hc, Biff Jones, Briskit and 6 others like this.
  8. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I don't see how they accidentally had 90+ listed in stock and then now have no more. They're just in the office couch.

Jam757 and Swordsandchains like this.
  9. Vibrolux_Reverb

They have said before that it isnt accurate.
    You would think that as little of an inventory they had, that it wouldnt be a problem, but here we are.

i wouldnt put it past them to have done it purposefully in order to make people frantically buy other titles before they magically go out of stock.

if you dont have point of departure or fuchsia swing song, they are two of the most essential titles left standing and who knows how many are in stock. They could just disappear overnight.

bluejimbop likes this.
  10. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Evolution was at the $124.95 price point for awhile. That is normally the best indicator that supplies of the title are dwindling.

For your sake I hope it pops back in stock. This does happen on occasion. I thought I forever missed out on Point of Departure when it went out of stock, but it came back and I was able to snag a copy.

kt66brooklyn and NorthNY Mark like this.
  11. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

yeah, maybe - also, most of these (not all of course) come up frequently enough aftermarket around the $85-110 price point either sealed or listened to 1 time, so it's not like there are no more copies in the world either way

12. Vibrolux_Reverb

Not true for Evolution, or Lee Morgan Indeed. but agreed for most other titles. It is one of the only titles that was still available that I never saw pop up for under $125. These were selling regularly for as much as $160 while they were in stock at MMJ

13. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Clifford Brown Memorial just went OOS.

14. Vibrolux_Reverb

How is this one? I have heard complaints about some sort of noise issue on one of the tracks.

15. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Or the obvious answer - buy a CD version.

16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I believe side 4, track 2. The topic was covered a few years back. If you search the thread, you should be able to track down the details.

17. Vibrolux_Reverb

I have a flac. Its fine, but I know it doesnt stand up to the MMJ.

18. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

If I recall correctly, the noise problem is on all non-digital versions of the tune in question. It’s a fantastic set!

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

This is a great 3 CD set that includes both of his Blue Note albums, plus his work with Jackie McLean. Long out of print but well worth hunting down.
    [​IMG]

Stu02, Dignan2000, bresna and 2 others like this.
  20. Vibrolux_Reverb

If you guys had to choose, which MMJ title would you rather have out of these 4. (assuming you didn't have any of these titles)

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat
    Kenny Burrell - Freedom
    John Jenkins w Kenny Burrell
    Kenny Drew - Undercurrent

21. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Freedom

Stu02, LivLif and AllenR like this.
  22. Vibrolux_Reverb

This and Tom Cat where my initial choices, although I like Undercurrent just as much. I see Undercurrent regularly sell for $120, and Freedom and Tom Cat are always around $150 - 160.

I ended up snagging Freedom at $120 with shipping included since I didn't think I would see it for that price again. It is the cheapest sale on discogs for that particular title, so I think I did all right, and I am a huge Burrell fan and have not heard a lot of this material. Pretty excited for it to arrive.

Tom Cat can be had on discogs right now for $105 after shipping if anyone is interested. Just note that apparently the hype sticker is on the actual sleeve.

23. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Good score!

Vibrolux_Reverb likes this.
  24. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

too rich for my blood, but there is a sealed Happenings on Discogs for $470 if anyone is so inclined (I've bought from the guy before, he's has a ton of MMJs)

25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

F*** - John Jenkins
    Marry - Tom cat and freedom
    Kill - undercurrent

beverett likes this.