Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

I don't know why Blue Note doesn't set up its own sub-brand or subsidiary that goes all out with complete package audiophile reissues. A freaking One-Step of Happenings in a beautiful high quality jacket with extras (not scarves) would sell pretty well. Even if it's not a big source of profit, it still would bolster the BN brand.

2. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

Scandalous, save all your moneys and find a clean original mono OR stereo for less than half the price.

Lucca90 and mikeyt like this.
  3. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

true, but really a Tone Poet-level treatment (and price) for say the top 15 most wanted titles is really all we need - they have to know what those titles are, what they plan to do with them... who knows, but I agree that just going the BNC route would probably leave some money on the table for them

4. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

I wasn't in any way saying someone "should" spend that kind of money ;-) just paying it forward in case someone out there is like "if I ever see this for under $500, I'm in!"

5. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

Well, there's a guy on Discogs asking $913.30 for Matador ... plus $5 shipping. He does have a Make an Offer button, so maybe he would drop the ask for $0.30 and take a cool $913 and do free shipping. Worth a shot.

this_machine, Bodhi and Bobsblkwax like this.
  6. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

What? Kill Undercurrent? No way.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  7. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Happenings is one hell of an album, but none of these MMJ titles are worth $470 (plus shipping and tax). I think the most I've spent was $250 each on Happenings, Inventions and Dimensions, and Mode for Joe. I'm glad I have them but it hurt at $250 (all in)

this_machine and Swordsandchains like this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Of the 130 or so MMs I own, I can unequivocally say undercurrent is by far the worst sounding one. It’s in part to RVG’s terrible recording of the piano - Kenny literally sounds underwater lol. Musically it is absolute fire, but I’ve been spoiled by Music Matters so the one B/B+ in a library of A+’s doesn’t bother me too much. It’s your money lol

Vic Trola and this_machine like this.
  9. JazzFanatic

JazzFanatic Jazz Man In Orbit

Thee is a copy of "Matador" on eBay auction going for $81.00 if anyone cares to bid on it. I'm sure the final price will be very much lower than $913.30.

10. Hardiman

Hardiman Forum Resident

I have the 45 of Undercurrent and didn’t think it sounded bad by any means, it’s an absolute stormer of a session though! Well worth having, I’d prefer a 33 though.

bjlefebvre and timzigs like this.
  11. Vibrolux_Reverb

Interesting. I see Classic Records pressings of this for $60 pretty regularly. Maybe that is the way to go.

12. Vibrolux_Reverb

Matador can be had for around $150 if you are patient. Still a little high, but not terrible considering the title. A lot of MMJ titles have been going for good prices lately on discogs. I picked up Freedom today for $120, picked up JuJu for $120 not long ago along with Our Thing for $68. I got the 33rpm of True Blue for $90 recently as well.

I passed on a Soul Station for $120 just because I am really happy with my Classic Series. Same for Page One which just fetched $130 I believe. The MMJ prices I think have maxed out and will start to drop moving forward, albeit not by much.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yeah I am definitely coming from a very spoiled place as I think I was able to snag Undercurrent MM for original retail of $35 I believe lol.

NO WAY I am paying above $50-$60 for that title. You'd be better off saving that money and going extra on a really nice MM.

Honestly if you just want the music, streaming will suffice. $ won't make that piano sound any better.

Vic Trola likes this.
  14. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Where are you picking these up? Discogs? I am still in shock of how much some titles are still going for at open auction on eBay. A copy overseas of Blue Hour just broke $250 (and $244 domestically), a non-SRX of Moanin' for $177, and Soothsayer here in the states for $376. Non-SRX of Speak No Evil (so practically the "same" as the Classic 33 minus Ron + RTI) for $232. Blue Train SRX for $423? Not to mention all the tax and shipping.

15. Vibrolux_Reverb

Yes. Discogs.

16. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I wish you told me that sooner. I just bought the one for $913.30.

FWatty, JazzFanatic and bjlefebvre like this.
  17. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

:)

18. Vibrolux_Reverb

19. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Does it play okay?

20. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I have an MMJ 33 copy of Undercurrents from way back - I can't even remember when I bought it. You're right the piano suffers from Rudy Piano Mic Syndrom (RPMS) but the session is so great there's no way I'd say "kill" it. It's a hard bop masterpiece.

I can't remember which one of you vicious enablers kept suggesting the Gil Melle MM, but I finally broke down and bought it. I was thinking of adding on the J.R. Montrose, but I'll just content myself with the Japanese pressing I have of that.

Bobsblkwax likes this.
  21. Vibrolux_Reverb

Patterns in Jazz is pretty much the hidden masterpiece of the whole series. Its musically a top 30 Blue Note imo.

Admerr, Aura and Dai like this.
  22. bjlefebvre

Sitting in plain site for $45.99 while others moan the disappearance of Tom Cat. The fools!

With all the Tone Poets coming in, I haven't actually played my MMs recently. Think I'll put Whistle Stop on the platter tonight. Arguably my favorite Kenny Dorham-led date, along with Trompeta Toccata.

recstar24 likes this.
  23. Vibrolux_Reverb

gotta agree with Whistle Stop. I have the AP45 and it gets a lot of spins. His best album to my ears.

24. bjlefebvre

I actually used to have that same exact pressing. I picked up used copies of that and MM's 33rpm Magnificent Thad Jones at a Japanese record store when I lived in Tokyo. I had very little idea back then about audiophile pressing companies. I just thought they looked to be of better quality then the other stuff in the bins and I wanted to upgrade my 1970s BN Whistle Stop. I still have the Thad Jones, but sold the AP45 Whistle Stop because double 45s were just too much work for me at the time (and iirc the album also had bag rash - that milky discoloration on the vinyl). Luckily I found the MM Whistle Stop - this album is rare as hen's teeth now in any pressing.

25. Whistle Stop is a great album, but I’d rank Una Mas firmly above it. Maybe Quiet Kenny as well, but definitely Una Mas

Good Vibes, Bradd and timzigs like this.