Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

I need that mode for Joe. Let me know what you might be looking for.

2. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Sorry, should have been clear. I don't have two copies anymore.

LivLif and this_machine like this.
  3. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

I have about 100 less MMJs than you, but I'm also done I think. Unless a REALLY good deal comes around on a title I want, I think I'm priced out of just about everything else at this point especially as the ones I want will almost certainly be released as BN Classics, maybe even later this year.

jgrillo, mikeyt, Bodhi and 3 others like this.
  4. beyondmiles

You're a lot smarter than I am.

I started prior to the Classic series announcement, so was already pretty deep into it and the completist in me reaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy hates my wallet. But yeah, the majority of people (including me) should be fine with a $25 Speak No Evil vs a $250 SRX. Or a $150 45rpm.

5. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Oh, I still spent a fair amount on those 35 titles! Probably half at current "retail" and the other half at something under "retail" - all 45s except for Solid and Johnny C. I went over $125 on Matador and Freedom, but everything else I want I'm priced out

this_machine likes this.
  6. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Glad you told me about that seller on eBay he has a ton more Music matters titles up all for 20 bucks with no reserve and some rare ones (SRX maiden, sidewinder, song for father, inner urge, real McCoy etc…) Not sure I’ll be able to afford any but going to try and pick up the Basra MM and the takin off If they don’t get too crazy like I know the SRX versions will.

this_machine likes this.
  7. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

With 7 days left those things are already being bid to the moon.

8. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Shilled to the moon :)

recstar24 likes this.
  9. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

I don't think at this point there are many sought after MMJs going under the radar on ebay anymore, better chance to get a somewhat reasonable price on Discogs (but again, I've decided I'm priced out of even the "reasonable" prices at this point)

FWatty, Bodhi and Swordsandchains like this.
  10. Kraan

Kraan Forum Resident

A couple of questions from my side:

1. I don't have any MMJs; would it (still) be wise to 'start' purchasing them? Or better to wait and see what the classic series will bring us in the coming years?

2. If so, which titles would be recommended buys (from the ones available on their website; 45rpms)? E.g. taking into account which titles are highly likely getting a classic release anywhere in the future?

3. Is there any way to overcome the extremely high shipping costs to Europe? I have the idea MMJ is asking way more for shipping than e.g. MusicDirect and Acoustic Sounds. Any experiences here from other Europeans?

11. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

To point 3... possibly not. Maybe one of the shipping services, if you are planning to buy more than just a few, but when I looked at those they didn't seem worth it for just the handful I was prepared to pay MMJ's asking price for.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  12. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

I am finally a MMJ owner. Dexter Calling, Smithville, and the Congregation all at 45rpm headed my way. It's a start.

I couldn't pass them up at a decent price. Anyone comment on SQ? Thanks guys

13. Kraan

Kraan Forum Resident

What do you exactly mean by "one of the shipping services"? Via MMJs website it seems I cannot choose a specific shipping service.

14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Shipping to Canada is quite expensive but if I ordered 4 albums, then squint and imagine that I also had to pay customs and duty (which I never did), it was approximately acceptable.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  15. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

id just wait and see what the classic series brings. Of course, if you endless amount of money, then buy the MMJs. Theyre already very expensive and with shipping to europe, youre going to be spending hundreds per title in a lot of cases

16. Kraan

Kraan Forum Resident

Don't think hundreds per titles, but yes, they are expensive. Though got some cash to spend currently.

17. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

I have build up my modest collection of 20 titles entirely via EU sellers on Discogs in the last two years. Quite recently, but the way all things vinyl incl. prices have developed I still feel that I was just in time. And sometimes just lucky. Some titles that were just within reach half a year ago, now firmly sit in the unobtainium category.

dminches likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I can only speak for Smithville. Excellent SQ. A very enjoyable set that goes down easy (or 'easily', if you prefer).

PabloFanques and recstar24 like this.
  19. Re: Dexter Calling, did you get a test pressing? I know MMJ planned to do this one at 33, even made test pressings, but never released for reasons I am unaware of. But you said 45, that was done by AP. Maybe you meant a different title?

I only have Congregation of those 3. It’s been a while since I listened to it, but I was pleasantly surprised. I bought it at the time because it was $35 and it put me over the free shipping threshold. But it is a great session. I’ll have to spin it again some time soon.

this_machine and PabloFanques like this.
  20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

In my opinion, having a few of the remaining 45s would be worth it. Some of the them are the best it gets sonically, and it would be a shame not to experience the joy they can bring :)

So, after perusing the MMJ website, here would be some of my recommendations from the $100 or less items:

Fuchsia Swing Song
    Shades Of Redd
    Back To The Tracks
    Patterns In Jazz

I'd also consider Puttin' It Together, although it's somewhat of a chaotic trio session that may not appeal to some. If you are able to venture beyond $100, then Our Thing, Another Workout, and Point of Departure would be my choices.

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

GREAT choices. I have the bottom three of that first list. Excellent sound and music.

22. beyondmiles

Man, Happenings nearly hit $400 again and Royal Flush broke $300 on eBay.

If you see anything that’s no longer available through MMJ for under $100, it’s almost an instant buy. There are definitely some I wouldn’t hesitate at (at this point) for $150. And how prices are climbing, even if you don’t like it, you’ll probably be fine trying to get your money back.

I’m verrrrry curious what the next round of BNC titles will be. I think @Gabe Walters mentioned in another thread that we should be pretty pleased with the upcoming titles that should include a few MMJ ones people have been clamoring for. It does seem however that those releases haven’t dropped any prices of MMJ equivalents.

PabloFanques likes this.
  23. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

In my opinion, the ship has sailed on purchasing MMJ titles for sane prices. Aftermarket prices for the classic titles are sky high and the premium you’d pay for those vs the best available sanely priced alternative isn’t worth it, and the titles that are still available on their site are still priced high enough that coupled with shipping to Europe, you’re talking about paying premium prices for very good, but not iconic titles.

If you’re not familiar with the titles still available on the site, I’d definitely get familiar with them first and if any are must haves and you can swallow the all-in prices, then go for it.

Not being a hater on MMJ titles - I have ~30 of them and really really like them, but was fortunate to be able to buy them at very reasonable prices. If I had to pay current pricing for any of them, I’m sure I’d settle for the best available reasonably priced alternative and be happy with those. I’m okay with spending up to say $100-150 for an iconic title if it’s the best available version and significantly outpaces the next best, and I’d go $200-250 for a top 10 album of all time again if it was significantly better than the next best, but it just doesn’t make sense (for me) to pay that kind of money for a standard Blue Note title that has other good options.

So it really depends on how you prioritize spending your $.

24. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

I doubt any release will drop the prices of M/NM MMJs - only when they get some wear or the maybe-someday-vinyl-bubble-burst might do that, and even then there were only 2500-ish copies pressed, so... I've gotten all of mine in the last few months and while a big hit on my wallet short term, I still think/hope long-term it'll be worth it, and barring possibly One Steps, probably the best pressings we'll see. That said, I'm done minus a good deal coming by (for instance, I got Roll Call for about $100 sealed the other day)

AnalogJ likes this.
  25. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

It's a 2lp 45rpm Dexter Calling, Music Matters Jazz mastered by SH/KG. Thanks for the insight on Congregation. Would you like pics or something?