Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

24 pt is the standard "Old Style" gatefold jacket weight at Stoughton, but Music Matters/Tone Poet use 28 pt.

3. FWatty

Any idea about the AP Prestige reissues? They seem at least 28.

4. Gabe Walters

I dunno for sure, I'd just be holding them next to each and attempting a comparison, same as anyone else. My knowledge of Music Matters and Tone Poet comes from convos with Joe Harley. He'd mentioned the cardboard shortage during the pandemic left printers unable to source 28 pt cardboard for a while.

5. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I don't blame anyone who bought yesterday but I am so done with MMJ FOMO. And it worked out well since instead of dropping serious cash there I had funds available to buy an OG Capra Black that popped up for a decent price yesterday, which I have been waiting for for a long time, and the AP Blues Walk (easy decision in light of the BNC distortion comments).

ETSEQ, Aura, BreakBeat DJ and 2 others like this.
  6. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

The AP Blues Walk is a great pressing. I prefer it over the SRX mono.

Mr Smith and bruinuclafan like this.
  7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Let me know if you want to part with that SRX mono. Maybe we can work out a trade? :)

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Aura and timzigs like this.
  9. Biff Jones

Biff Jones Forum Resident

Are you referring to the secondary market for MMJ titles? Or, other reissue lines, as well?

10. bruinuclafan

Both and more.

11. FWatty

I may have small company here, but I was entirely ignorant of Capra Black until your post. Thanks. :righton:

bruinuclafan likes this.
  12. bruinuclafan

I have no idea how well-known it is, but glad to help! I'm a big Billy Harper fan and am getting close to having all of his OG records (not that this is some large feat since he has almost no reissues and isn't that popular). This was the only one that seemed like it might be hard to get, so I'm glad it popped up for a somewhat decent price. The others are all mostly easy to get out of Japan.

FWatty likes this.
  13. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

can't believe I just did this, but ordered 4 more 45s titles from the site: Candy, JR Montrose, Spur of the Moment, and Jackie SSS - total was under $250

14. FWatty

Briskit likes this.
  15. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

16. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

I have one (Cape Verdean Blues) and I hope they aren't bidding for this expecting it to be stellar sound quality. Test pressings, are more of a collectible than an audiophile record. You never know what it will play like, thats why its a TP.

17. Gabe Walters

If you read the item description, apparently it's not an actual test pressing; it's an early run off the first approved stamper with a Plastylite test pressing label.

AaronW and nosliw like this.
  18. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

Gotcha. I didnt read any of that. Just looked at the title and the label.

19. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

In November 2020 I purchased a copy of Kenny Dorham ‘Round About Modnight At the Cafe Bohemia from the MMJ website (for the now meager price of $75). When it arrived I was surprised that it contained a test pressing.

[​IMG]

20. Gabe Walters

Just like the ebay listing above, if it arrived in a jacket with artwork, it's not actually a test pressing. They just duplicated the old test pressing labels used at Plastylite. It is an early pressing off the approved stamper, meant for friends or reviewers. Apparently this one didn't get used for that purpose and they put it up for sale. Cool score!

21. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Pardon my ignorance on this, but is Mode for Joe so wildly expensive simply because of the relative lack of reissues or is there something else to the story?

22. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

There’s the BN75 but it’s harsh sounding. I don't think they pressed the full 3000 of this or Sooth Sayer, based just on how many people have it on discogs vs other 45s. and both are highly regarded for their sound and great albums musically. I’m hoping Mode gets a BN Classic release but not as hopeful for soothsayer.

NorthNY Mark and YouCantWin like this.
  23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

24. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Interesting to see a "pseudo test pressing" with the Plastylite logo, though I think I'd deemed it as a promo copy than anything, really.

Though I did nab Kenny Dorham's Una Mas MMJ45 test pressing through eBay a few years ago from an audiophile vinyl reviewer and it did came with the actual jacket with artwork: Login • Instagram

racer59 likes this.
  25. Gabe Walters

Yeah, promo is a better name for it than test pressing, for sure.

nosliw likes this.