Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

MMJ and Classic Series are not linear in gap in sound quality

Soul Station and Open Sesame are really close for example

Point of Departure, and The Real McCoy. Not so much. The MMJ is significantly better to my ears.

Then you have titles like Evolution and Indestructible which fall somewhere in between.

2. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

To be fair, the recording itself is subpar imo. Even as a MmJ, it isn’t outstanding. Still, the MmJ is very noticeably better imo. I wish I owned it, but have borrowed a copy and compared.

3. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Sorry but I have no idea what 10% means or represents to you.

Morbius likes this.
  4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I think for me it’s also the 45 vs 33. I don’t get a lot of focused time to spin and listen to 45s. Usually late on a Fri or sat night. And with favorite titles like Fuchsia Swing Song, Destination Out, Judgment, East Living, etc… im ok with the flipping, i love those late at night with a drink or two. But there’s others I’d spin a lot more if I had it on 33 and 90-95pct of the sound plus a great pressing to spin while working, cooking, playing games with the kids. Evolution was one of those for me, so im glad to have the BNC, it’ll get way more spins than a 45.

5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

How could you? It's not meant to be conveyed in those terms

All that is meant by it is, if MMJ is giving 100% of what can reasonably be passed onto the consumer from the tapes with their mastering and the 45 format, BNC is going to get very close but probably a little less with the 33 format. That's all

recstar24 and kt66brooklyn like this.
  6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Good to know about Open Sesame. I’m happy with the BNC Soul Station.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. Hmm, I felt the MMJ was way better than The BNC for Open Sesame.

I haven’t double dipped to compare many of these, but I did on that one. Most of my double dips were during the BN80 series (as Open Sesame is). None really held a candle to the MMJ 45s to my ears, and many had warble issues.

I find putting an arbitrary percentage value to sound a lost cause, but if I had to pick a number I’d say more like 70%-80%.

The BN80/BNC are great value, but I have yet to hear one that are on the level of MMJ 45s from a sonic perspective.

I have bought plenty of BNCs, but really just for albums I don’t already have as MMJs or APs.

8. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

I would add the Herbie Hancock titles to the list of MMJ’s which sound significantly better than the Classic/80th counterpart, and not just because there’s no piano warble.

9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'd love to find a reasonably priced copy of Inventions & Dimensions.

Mad Dog and ultron9 like this.
  10. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

Good luck! It's a fantastic pressing. I don't think we will see a better reissue of that album.

recstar24 likes this.
  11. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I remember the good ole days where Elusive Disc had like 30 copies of Inventions Dimensions MM just sitting there for like $49.95 and no one bit

12. bruinuclafan

JFC

smiff66, CBackley, Blurry and 2 others like this.
  13. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

I'm just hoping Joe releases this in Tone Poet series as Succotash.

14. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Inventions & Dimensions is an outlier in Hancock’s early work for me. I think it was only partially successful. I respect the concept a whole lot but musically I find it just doesn’t consistently move me very much.

There are great moments, to be sure. Paying what the MMJ 45 goes for now? Uh, no.

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yeah I mean for the $49.95 it was perfectly fine lol

Tim1954 likes this.
  16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Mom got me my copy for Christmas :)

Briskit, Bodhi and recstar24 like this.
  17. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

I'm fairly certain I&D was never pressed up to its license limit. It was such a poor seller that I think MMJ just gave up after the initial pressing sold out. They should reconsider if the license didn't have a time limit in addition to a pressing limit. Priced at $150, 500 more copies would sell out in a weekend.

mikeyt, recstar24, DavidJ and 3 others like this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Correct - Ron had shared that with me a while ago as well.

I listened to the first disc of my MM last night - while there are some meandering moments, I find Herbie's playing very inspired. Willie Bobo and Chihuahua Martinez are excellent together. And the sound as you can imagine explodes out of the speakers - I find a lot of these trio-esque ensembles allow a lot more space for the music and sound to breathe. I'm sure RVG had a nice day recording this session.

EDIT: Would I consider inventions dimensions an essential title? I personally would not, Herbie makes that title in his discography a tough choice. But its cool and enjoyable and I'll need to listen to my BNC again to compare.

Pelts, Aura, mikeyt and 5 others like this.
  19. bruinuclafan

Judgment! is amazing. I’m sort of in shock that it isn’t selling for big bucks. This is A+ Blue Note.

mikeyt, this_machine, timzigs and 6 others like this.
  20. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I really think this is Andrew Hill's best and Elvin Jones is the highlight of this session especially the way they put him out front for a change. Absolutely tremendous!

21. wellers73

wellers73 Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more!

22. bruinuclafan

Oh yeah, Elvin Jones is ON FIRE. I know everyone raves about POD, but I went to bed last night thinking that Judgment! is one of the best jazz records I've ever heard. I'll have to listen again today to see if that impression is justified or excessive.

23. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Judgment is indeed an excellent album, definitely one of Hill's best. Unfortunately for me I never really wanted the 2xLP and/or the price sailed way past what I'm willing to pay. I've been hoping it'll be a BNC, but now I really doubt it, at least not in the immediate future.

@bruinuclafan You don't think a median of $190 for the MM is big bucks? This album is tough to track down in any form, including vintage pressings. the cheapest NM- copy is going for $75

Andrew Hill - Judgment! (Vinyl Records) For Sale at Discogs Marketplace

24. bruinuclafan

Fair point. Taking a close look at the sales history, there are some really big numbers in there. I guess it never made that impression on me the way some others like The Soothsayer have. I remember this was still available from MM directly well into the pandemic. I always kicked myself for not buying it in 2020.

mikeyt and this_machine like this.
  25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I honestly think everything will get done as BNC (aside from what TP is releasing of course), the bummer is how long that's going to take. I think we're looking at a good ten years before they get to all the essentials. Kicking off 2023 with Green Is Beautiful tells me they're reallllly spreading things out.