Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Idle moments is a huge favorite of mine

you can’t really go wrong with the rest. I’d say something Else and speak no evil with maiden voyage and real McCoy close behind.

2. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Real McCoy
    Idle Moments
    Something Else

3. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

If I was going to buy Maiden Voyage again I’d get the VMP Herbie Hancock Anthology one.

4. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I did a shootout of the Maiden Voyage SRX vs BNC. The SRX won, but not by much, and the price is $$$

this_machine likes this.
  5. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Thanks for the responses. Although Speak No Evil is my favorite of the bunch, I feel like they knocked the Classic Series out of the park on that one. Sounds like Maiden Voyage is close too.

I am thinking Idle Moments, Real McCoy, and ???? May be my best bet.

maybe Right Now, just because I dont have it, but Something Else and Sidewinder get a lot of spins

6. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

I’d get Right Now! If only just for Poor Eric. That is a masterwork.

7. G E

G E Senior Member

I’ve heard 33 vs 45 if this title and I agree the 45 is leagues better. I’ve heard this on my system and a tube based VAC system.

to add more fun to the mayhem I now have in house a Two Eye Columbia first pressing of 7 Steps to Heaven.

this weekend there will be a shootout at Man Cave #1! I’ll share impressions.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  8. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yep, these. I’ve heard the BNC of each, as well as the AP45 of Idle Moments. The SRX of the latter is the best I’ve heard, and the 45 Real McCoy trounces the BNC and King. The APs are the way to go for Sidewinder and Something Else unless you want less flipping.

jgrillo and this_machine like this.
  9. FunkJazz

FunkJazz Wake up... and smell the Sunflower

The Right Now! 33rpm is fabulous, very good sounding and top notch musically. If I was facing the choice you’re facing right now :uhhuh: I’d go for The Sidewinder and Idle Moments to complete the trio.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I love how I can just randomly have Discogs pick a random MM from my library and I’m virtually guaranteed it’s going to be a banger. I pulled out Louis Smith Smithville, haven’t listened to it in ages, ran it through the ultrasonic and am absolutely floored how good this sounds. Took me a sec to realize that it’s mono because it legit sounds like you’re in the studio with them. I was listening to a podcast where Bernie Grundman was talking about how some recordings are done so well you can literally walk around in the studio with the musicians in the recording, this is definitely one of those. Very underrated session!

11. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

I’m ashamed to say I have this and have never listened to it. Guess I’ll give it a spin tomorrow. :agree:

recstar24 likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's not an earth-shaking date, but it's really enjoyable.

13. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

ok cool. I honestly bought it when it was cheap because I was trying to collect all the 45rpm titles.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

no worries, I’m the same brother! So much stuff I have only listened to once. Like you I was able to snag a bunch of my MM’s early enough in the process when they were 39-49$ or you could get them retail on AS, ED, etc. This was one of those titles, and thank you Discogs for the random selection!

LivLif and mikeyt like this.
  15. Vibrolux_Reverb

Took Blakey’s Free For All SRX for two spins last night. What an absolutely epic session. Finished it off with the 33rpm A Night In Tunisia. Equally as good. Those and Moanin are such top tier sessions. Only Wayne Shorter rivals the Messengers with the consistency of absolutely top notch Blue Notes.

Pelts, Dmann201, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I'd like to also mention Mosaic. Musically, maybe it's not top 3, but the clarity on the drums is as good as it gets for a Blakey record. MMJ hit this one out of the park!

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Memories! My very first MM I ever purchased :) One of the rare times where the sound struck me so hard I literally laughed out loud how good it was (if you can hear that first ensemble blast on track 1, you know exactly what I mean)

Dmann201 and timzigs like this.
  18. Vibrolux_Reverb

Mosaic is great along with Indestructible. I just can’t quiet place them alongside the other 3 I mentioned. Incredibly awesome sessions though and would be the best of most other artist on the label.

jgrillo likes this.
  19. Vibrolux_Reverb

Prices have really gone down on these, which I am happy for. Just scored both Idle Moments and Maiden Voyage (regular 33rpm) for $208 after shipping for both. Not too bad.

mikeyt and Aereoplain like this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Not bad for these days.

21. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

you must look at just the right times

22. Vibrolux_Reverb

Maybe. There are always deals though. The best deal I see right now is a Unity 33rpm for $80 on discogs. If I really wanted that title, Id jump on it for that price.

23. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Could it have something to do with those particular albums being available in quality reissues for cheap?

24. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

that's a steal

25. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

well of course