Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I totally agree, there are plenty of titles that nobody has so far bothered with, it would be great to see some of those get the MM treatment as well.

abor1g likes this.
  2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Not for those of us who refused to jump on the 45 rpm bandwagon. :)

I would be very very happy if MM kept this 33 rpm reissue series going.

joshm2286, riverrat and RiRiIII like this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

If more people get to hear this music that is cool with me. And I can not fault Music Matters in the slightest if they need to recoup some of their investment by releasing Blue Note greatest hits at 33 rpm, there were many at 45 that might not have been big sellers for them. From what I understand the licensing fee is the same regardless of what album it is. I have re-bought many of them any way (this includes the 45 rpm releases) since I have so many originals or slightly later pressings.

I am curious which tape they used for Maiden Voyage. The master is supposed to be in unusable condition according to one Blue Note source.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    mikeyt, Cassius and johnnypaddock like this.
  4. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

That is great news as the original pressing of this LP was not that great. We are so lucky to have these guys.

Cardanken and JMCIII like this.
  5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

As Ive stated before, I really hope not. Two titles every two months is perfect. If they increase it, then I will have to unsubscribe and cherry pick titles instead. I'd rather not.

So if MM is listening, I prefer subscriptions to average no more than a title/month, unless the price lowers accordingly.

6. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

If it would be true that they would release to much 33rpm albums of the MM 45rpm series I will also unsubscribe and pick up only the albums I really would like to have...

2 albums each 2 months is also fine for me, but with a perfect list of releases they may double the pass... Because I live over the ocean I always need to wait until I have about 6 albums (for economical reason) .... and thats equal with 6 months... pffff, and that is really slowly...

7. antielectrons

I just want to say that MM releasing Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage on 33 RPM is massive news!!!

And that fact that it is sonically superior to anything they have done before is just incredible.

MikeJedi and LavidDange like this.
  8. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

What's the next 2 titles to be released? and when?

9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I have all the Music Matters 45's
    as nice as they are
    I wish they had been released at 33 1/3

that said focus on some other albums and perhaps a few key big ones
    when Paul Chambers' Bass on Top gets released I'll take notice

This Heat and antielectrons like this.
  10. antielectrons

+1 Paul Chambers' Bass on Top

11. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Will be released next month:
    Art Blakey - Moanin
    Joe Henderson - Page One

RiRiIII and MikeJedi like this.
  12. uncleroy

uncleroy Forum Resident

They have been running about 3 weeks ahead of schedule so far. Great product, great customer service, and delivered early. Who knew it was even possible?

13. La Roca

La Roca Well-Known Member

14. Josquin des Prez

15. La Roca

Been listening to all my Horace Silver records. Have to say I really like those Piano trio interludes in his albums. I think Horace Parlan also employed that effect on his records as well.

16. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Parlan is an excellent player as well , I think he is in a different style tho than silver was .. Who was also awesome .. Is Parlan still living ?

17. La Roca

Not sure, but my guess would be yes.
    Last I heard he was living in Scandinavia
    Yes they are distinct players, but they both use that trio interlude in their quintet recordings

18. Josquin des Prez

I love Horace Parlan, especially the BN stuff with Stanley Turrentine.. Great player.

TimArruda likes this.
  19. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Just wanted to note how cool it is that music matters now shows the back of the original tape box for each Blue Note classic its remastering and pressing to vinyl. It's a sly way of saying, analogously, "what you got, bixxxches?" to the massified Blue Note 75th anniversary straight digital-to-vinyl re-editions.

I write this while listening to MM's Soul Station from Hank Mobley at high volume. It just sounds right. Honestly, does any album in my collection sound this good?

Cassius, hishou, La Roca and 2 others like this.
  20. La Roca

I agree...wish other audiophile labels would start showing this kind of proof

LavidDange likes this.
  21. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

Just be careful. Saying something is from the original master tapes doesn't mean it is AAA. I am not questioning Music Matters' process-we know that is all analog-but there is a lot of vinyl out there now which is from the original master tapes but has been processed digitally.

joshm2286 likes this.
  22. La Roca

Touchez!
    Right of course
    "Mastered from Original Analog Tape" does not always mean "Cut From Original Analog Tape"

joshm2286 likes this.
  23. La Roca

24. bilgewater

bilgewater Forum Resident

Is the distinction you're drawing here one between those discs re-mastered or and those not remastered "from original analog tape," or are you suggesting something else? Please explain; I'm guessing a few others may share my non-expertise here. What I DO know that is the vinyl reissues often come with stickers on the wrapper telling of all manner of deluxe treatment of original source material transferred to new master, and that some of this advertising copy is carefully worded to mislead and over-charge.... Thanks for any clarification.

joshm2286 likes this.
  25. La Roca

Think of it in terms of the phrases "Natural" and "Organic". While in so many ways these phrases indicate the same thing, in the marketing world you can apply the label "natural" indiscriminately to any product regardless of how it was derived. On the other hand the label "Organic" has a stricter application.

Any analog recorded music can be reissued with the label "from the original master tape" but not all analog recorded music can be reissued this day and age with the label "cut from the original master tape". Somewhere between those two designations 98% of the reissues on the market place employ a digital step. This could happen in the remastering stage, lacquer cutting or the pressing plant stage.

If I recall correctly, RTI is still one of the handful of pressing plants world wide that still uses an "analog preview head" in their recording pressing which is why their plant is in such high demand with regards to analog pressings (but I digress).

A lot of the reissues these days are digitized files of the analog signal so they can rightfully claim to have been remastered from the analog source (even if that claim is dubious) To me this process is the definition of insanity: xfer an analog signal to digital and xfer it back to analog--makes no sense, it's stupid and cynical and could only be done by people who don't care about record buyers.

On the other hand "cut from the original analog tape" means that the remastering and lacquer itself were cut from an analog tape directly (IMO digital preview head in the pressing step subverts the whole analog chain to some extent).

Now then I'm not in any way a purist and I'm not suggesting that the bulk of today's recorded music which is done digitally do not merit vinyl treatment. I only question the wisdom of converting a signal to digital and back to analog (as I said, madness). On the other hand it can't be helped in some situations when the tapes are too damaged.

The reason music matters reissues sound better than anyone else is because they do not subscribe to this form of madness I speak of. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. If you digress from this simple principle then the distance between those points gets longer.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    joshm2286, bilgewater and LavidDange like this.