Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

A while back someone had an issue with the MM version of Somethin' Else, pointing out that there was some weird stuff going on with Blakey's drums at the end of "Autumn Leaves". Some people claimed the high-quality MM process has brought out this imperfection in the master tape more than other releases; regardless, I don't hear it on the Capitol CD from the 80s, the RVG Edition CD, the Japanese Toshiba reissue from the early 80s, or an original stereo pressing (all stereo). I'm not sure if that was a particularly defective pressing that the previous forum member had or if all the MM copies are like that but something didn't sound right to me.

PS: Somethin' Else was recorded at a time when Van Gelder was recording to both full-track (mono) and two-track (stereo) tape, so if the sound isn't present on mono releases, that may be because the mono version comes from a different master tape.

2. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Here's a link to the original post where @dianos noticed something wrong with their copy:

Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

3. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

I'm sure it's on the MM pressing only (or some batches of pressings...) I have both the 33rpm MM & AP 45rpm. Both are Stereo pressings.... Only the MM suffers from distortion.

4. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

Yep, that's what RTI used at the time (in 2009 or so they switched to the plastic ones).

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  5. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

AS could be Acoustic sound ?

6. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

As a mastering credit? Doubtful.

7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Yeah, AS are the initials of a mastering engineer. Plus, Acoustic Sounds doesn't have anything to do with these, except as a retailer. So that's not it.

I was thinking maybe Anne-Marie Suenram, but I can't find any evidence that she ever worked or interned at Cohearent. She also uses different marks than AS on the records she cuts.

mikeyt likes this.
  8. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

...awesome sonics.

Johan1880 likes this.
  9. I've fallen in love with Tina Brooks' "True Blue"! Anyone have any recommendations for something similar? (Preferably in-print 33 or 45 from MM). Thanks!

Bryce and Fender Relic like this.
  10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Tina Brooks-Back To The Tracks MM45 or AP 33 mono 200 gram.

11. Awesome, I'll check it.

Bryce likes this.
  12. Gabe Walters

Other MMs featuring Tina Brooks:

Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
    Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag
    Freddie Redd - Shades of Redd
    And the aforementioned Tina Brooks - Back to the Tracks

All easily recommendable.

13. Excellent, I will check these out! Thanks.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  14. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds has a 2lp version coming on October 20th, second disc with studio chatter and alternate takes:
    Sonny Rollins-Way Out West-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds
    Maybe the reason the AP reissues are postponed or cancelled is that Concord is reissuing titles themselves?

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The order I mentioned last week arrived yesterday, it had Ron's name and the Oxnard, CA address.

16. Gabe Walters

Yeah, and I just had a customer service issue and Ron and Lori responded immediately (and with great service!). So no, they've not sold the business. Maybe Jeff was covering during a late summer vacation or something.

dzhason likes this.
  17. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Spicy price for such a re-issue... Glad that I have the AP 45rpm.

18. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So I just got in a MM from audiophileusa and I was wondering if anyone else has ordered from them and the outside packaging did not have the MM blue note hype sticker on it. Mine did not and I'm wondering if this is common or mine was just weird. My copy is sealed.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I was a subscriber the 33rpm series and not every record had the blue stickers on.

Records sounded great nevertheless.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It's been a while since I ordered anything from John but I have ordered MM titles from them in the past and they were always in the original shrink with the MM hype sticker so I'm not sure what that means. I've driven out to his place several times and talked with him and though his prices can be scary sometimes he finds some great stuff. I've always had good service, good shipping , etc. so I feel he's a good source. Drop him a line and ask him about your issue. He might have a logical explanation.

21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Some of the 45's I ordered from MM directly did not have a hype sticker. I assume occasionally they forget to attach one during the manufacturing as I have the same experience with Analogue Productions. The MM and Classic Record 4x45rpm issues I ordered from AudiophileUSA were all flawless.

22. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Finally biting the bullet on Solid and Workout. Back in the game baby!

Satchidananda and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  23. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Also, listening to Hub-Tones on Spotify at work right now. "Prophet Jennings" could be my favorite Hubbard composition of all time. The interplay of his trumpet and Spaulding's flute is just sooooo good. Such a beautiful sound. I'm not sure why this record isn't one of the more popular Hubbard 33s, any insight?

I don't have the MM version, but I've got a solid vintage copy--haven't spun that one in a while. Might have to change that this evening....

AaronW and Morbius like this.
  24. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies guys! Sounds like it was like that coming from the manufacturer.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Any of you have advice on where to buy MM or AP new in NYC or Brooklyn?