Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Try the Jazz Record Center in NYC.

2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I thought they only had used vinyl. Thanks Gabe

3. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I've ended up grabbing what I can from the 45RPM series. I certainly don't mean to say it's true of all titles, but from what I've heard I think Steve is absolutely right that the 33s are tipped up too much in the top end.

I've compared with some Classic titles also. The MM 45s usually win out but it appears there will be the occasional exception. Lou Donaldson 'Takes Off' in stereo is certainly one, IMO. The MM 45 is really good but maybe opened up a bit much for me. The Classic Stereo is bassier (maybe a bit bass heavy) but I like the top end better.

But the Donaldson title is an exception. I have a lot of respect for Bernie Grundman but when compared to the MM 45s there is something about Grundman's work on the Blue Note titles which is kind of this "signature" sound and I'm not sure it is a good signature sound that compares well. My guess (purely a guess) is that it's somewhere around 4-5k that he really likes to boost on some of these and I don't really get it. It works fine on everything but HORNS!

AaronW, NorthNY Mark and AnalogJ like this.
  4. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I bought the Classic Lou Donaldson "Takes Off" but went for the Mono. Still love it.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I have never come across it in all my years visiting Manhattan. I will make it a priority next time.

6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I also have the Mono Classic. It's very good.

Shpongle likes this.
  7. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Workout (33) and Solid (45) just came in. Couple interesting notes:

1) Both had 2500 hype stickers--not 3500 on Workout like I expected.
    2) Solid is a numbered copy! Definitely a nice surprise, but kind of begs the question of whether that particularly steep price hike had anything to do with their inventory level....

Anyway, still very much looking forward to some new spins!

e.s. and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  8. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

Does the Workout "2500" sticker say "the definitive 45RPM edition"?

9. Gabe Walters

I'm finally done! Over the last several years, I've bought all the 33s and the 45s that weren't later recut at 33. A little more than 130 unique titles, and I paid over the original retail price for only four of them, I think. Part of that was getting lucky, buying before stocks dwindled and prices went up at every retail outlet. For the most part, I was able to take advantage of 15-20% off sales and get nearly all of them for below retail price. And some I was able to find used in NM condition.

Each title truly has something compelling to offer, and these are the jewels of my record collection. Thanks again to MM for a fun ride! I'll treasure these always. It's a thrill to see my young son bop his head to the beat.

DeRosa, garrincha, recstar24 and 13 others like this.
  10. Gabe Walters

My understanding is that it's kind of hidden away and up a staircase. I've never been, myself.

11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I went there once over a decade ago, I went to the address but from the street there was no indication that it is there. I just went into the building that matched the address and Jazz Record Center was on a buzzer or directory or something; I don't quite recall which. I think I had to buzz to be let in and definitely had to either ride the elevator or take the stairs to get up. I remember it as being quite large and feeling a bit like being in a library.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    AnalogJ and Gabe Walters like this.
  12. PauGasmall

Yeah I figured it was the old sticker from the 45s, I know that mistake has been made before.
    Correct, it is on the 8th floor of an unassuming building in the middle of the block, you have to buzz and take the elevator up.

dzhason likes this.
  13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have been here but I was rushed and only had time to focus on the used bins.
    It is just like trying to find a apartment of a friend in a city you don't know.
    There are no stores on the street. Only many apartment towers. You find the address then peer at the List of tenants and then press a buzzer
    Finally Carleton the doorman lets you in.

14. PauGasmall

Spun my brand new copies of Workout and Solid for the first time last night. Both definitely measuring up to the level of quality I've come to expect. Solid in particular sounds fantastic, I've really come to appreciate Henderson and Tyner's playing on that record a lot recently.

Man it's dead in here these days... :waiting:

15. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

I have been picking up lately from a collection of Classic (stereo & more recent mono issues), King, and now MM issues, I can say the MM 45 issues are amazing sounding! The Classic monos I have are also really good, with some sounding better than the stereo issues I have. A question I have before I go diving in again, what is the general agreement on the earlier Classic stereo issues and the 45 MM issues? I ask as I have "Cool Struttin'" in a Classic stereo (33) but have a chance to get the MM45 for a not insubstantial amount of money ($70), whereas I paid $25 for the Classic issue. Is there a big enough difference to justify upgrading my Classic copy? BTW, one session I would love to see getting the treatment would be Booker Ervin's "The In Between", that is a hot session with really good sound that I have on a Liberty pressing, I can only guess what the full treatment would bring to that recording. Thanks!

Bryce likes this.
  16. Craig's Story

Craig's Story Forum Resident

It is one of my favourite record stores anywhere , well worth going to
    No store front , and yes you do take an elevator up to the floor
    Highly recommended !

17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I don't know how Cool Struttin' specifically, but the stereo Classics were generally super bright.

AaronW likes this.
  18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I had the Classic Records 33 Stereo and gave it away when I got the MM 45.

So. The MM gets my vote.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  19. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Forum Resident

Thanks, Guitarded and mikeyt, I have been quite surprised at how good the MM 45s I have sound relative to the King pressings, looks like I need to add "Cool Struttin'" to the list!

20. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I just stick to the 33s and so far have:
    Somethin' Else
    Midnight Blue
    Cool Struttin'
    Moanin'

Might pick up one more, but these are too pricey for my blood. Just happy to have these few. If I where to pick up one more 33 which one would you all suggest. I'm kinda leaning towards Soul Station, but have heard good things about True Blue.

Aura likes this.
  21. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Either would be an excellent choice. I would recommend a Grant Green title, specifically Idle Moments.

22. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I have a copy of Ide Moments; although it's not the MM reissue. I try not to buy duplicates of what I already have, even if the sound quality is superior.

bluejimbop likes this.
  23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The Golden 8.

mikeyt and GruvyWade like this.
  24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I think you ought to bite the bullet and get both, each of them are just to good to choose!

mpayan likes this.
  25. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Blue Train