Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Ike Quebec's tenor + Van Gelder studio (reverb and all) = match made in heaven. Some kind of synergy there. And I suspect this album (and the MM pressing in particular) is on continuous loop at St. Peter's Gate. Heavenly.

bluejimbop and johnnypaddock like this.
  2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

If MM isn't going to carry on, they've perhaps passed the torch to Vinyl Me, Please, which has released a small handful of AAA Blue Notes and writes of plans to continue the series. One of these is the off-the-beaten-path Eddie Gale title, Ghetto Music, so here's hoping they continue to explore the more adventurous side of the reissue business. With their younger-skewing demographic, if anyone can do it, they can.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I would so love to subscribe to another run of MM LPs.

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

It's strange. I wrote them to ask about a Blue Note title of their's, asking if it's AAA? I got an initial automated reply that they received my email. But I got no response after that. That was one week ago.

5. Gabe Walters

Which one?

6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

After all the dust has settled and with no pending releases to lust over, I made a personal commitment to enjoy my MM collection to the fullest. With close to 40 titles on my shelves, limited listening time, limited time on earth, and a million nonsensical handheld distractions beckoning, it takes a degree of intention.
    Everything we need is right here in front of us. Like William DeVaughn sang, be thankful for what you've got.

7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Walk-off home run...well played sir!

johnt23 and DrJ like this.
  8. AnalogJ

9. Gabe Walters

mikeyt likes this.
  10. AnalogJ

Not SURE that it is. They don't mention it. We shouldn't assume.

11. Gabe Walters

I appreciate your desire for confirmation, and I share it. But this is a 2x45 cut with KPG@ATM in the dead wax, and Gray hasn't cut a record at Acoustech since 2010, when he moved out. That's pretty strong circumstantial evidence.

DrJ, mikeyt and Lucca90 like this.
  12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Interesting. Do you have this version? Discogs says this was cut at CoHearent:
    Johnny Griffin - A Blowing Session

DrJ likes this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Ha! I stand corrected. My apologies.

14. AnalogJ

So with that detail, particularly the "manufactured by Universal Music", wouldn't that infer that it's from a digital master?

15. Gabe Walters

Not necessarily. Kevin Gray is trusted to handle the master tapes. Sorry about getting the earlier detail wrong--I could've sworn someone posted earlier on this board that KPG@ATM was in the dead wax.

16. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Since the runout etching is totally different on the MM & VMP it means, without a doubt, that they are different cuts. The "1945. (1)..." on the MM and the "28140.1(3)..." on the VMP indicate they were both pressed at RTI.

mikeyt likes this.
  17. Gabe Walters

I agree they are different cuts.

18. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

That might have been my initial post (#12529) about this reissue. I assumed Kevin Gray would not have mastered the same title on the same format twice. But after I inspected the dead wax of my Music Matters pressing, I saw the runout etching is indeed different from the information on Discogs. My order is about to be delivered so hopefully I can verify the info on Discogs within a few days.
    If the VMP cut is different from the MM it's very interesting because:
    - cut from mastertape: I can compare the difference between the Acoustech and CoHearent mastering. Different sound? Due to new cables or mastering choices?
    - cut from files: then I have the perfect AAA vs '24/96' comparison package, Michael Fremer wanted to produce with his Kickstarter campaign: "Hearing is Deceiving" Kickstarter Funding Fails

DrJ, mikeyt and AaronW like this.
  19. Gabe Walters

That might've been what put the thought in my head, and then I checked my dead wax today and saw KPG@ATM in the MM reissue. I hope VMP responds--would by great if they are indeed cutting Blue Notes all-analog, as I *believe* they are. Why else have Kevin Gray cut them? Sure, I know he does digital cuts too, but why pay his fee when you could just send the file to GZ? At any rate, Ghetto Music sounded great, whether analog or digital.

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Started off my Day with Mobley's 'Workout' and am currently spinning Tina Brooks 'True Blue' (33s).

One of these days I am going to have to crack open the Blue 45 of this one...

patient_ot, garrincha, mikeyt and 2 others like this.
  21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Life is good,give those Blue Notes a true blue workout.

22. Gabe Walters

23. AnalogJ

I saw that online somewhere. An informative read.

24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

The Mosaic newsletter ? That's where I saw the link first.

AnalogJ and Gabe Walters like this.
  25. AnalogJ

Yes. That was it.