Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

You know what, I went ahead and did it:

Dear Mr. Gray,

Big fan of your work here, and curious about the Blue Note reissue series from Vinyl Me, Please. All-analog? Cut from original masters? I have nearly all of your Music Matters titles and many of the Blue Notes you cut for AP, too. Is the Vinyl Me, Please issue of Johnny Griffin's A Blowin' Session a new cut compared to the Music Matters issue, and if so do the mastering approaches differ in any important respects? As a record nerd, I live for this sort of arcana. Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject.

Best wishes,
    Gabe

AaronW, Johan1880, AnalogJ and 8 others like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hmm....I wonder if you might get a response like -

"Dear Gabe -

Thank you for writing. We truly appreciate your admiration for these particular pressings. I regret to inform you, however, that like Santa Claus, there is no Kevin Gray. He is a fictional construct, as is his often cited partner, Steve Hoffman. Our college interns take turns using their skills learned from metal and wood shop, to cut the records.

As to answer your question, the original tapes, found inside pizza boxes marked K-Tel, were used to create high definition .mp3 files. We will be using this same high quality process after the purchase of Music Matters, Analogue Productions, and Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs later this year.

We hope this helps.

Cherie, Customer Service
    Amazon Music"

bluejimbop and SteelyTom like this.
  3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I wonder if Freddie Hubbard's Blue Spirits was ever up for a MM reissue. I found a blue label Van Gelder copy the other day and it's a really great session. Interesting that three tracks have a different line-up. But man, this album smokes and Hubbard is really on fire here. James Spaulding coming in on flute is a really interesting addition. I'm also really liking Harold Mabern Jr. on piano, a name I've not seen before.

4. Gabe Walters

One of the best records they didn’t do. In fact, there are a few mid-60s Hubbard records they could have done.

Harold Mabern Jr. is on two records you may have: Hank Mobley’s Dippin’ and Lee Morgan’s The Gigolo.

mikeyt and johnnypaddock like this.
  5. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I actually don't have either of those titles yet. But thanks for the info!

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Good news! I just received an email from Lori at Music Matters. It was a couple of weeks since I sent the email about the defective second disc to Freddie Redd's Shades Of Redd. She was apologetic about the defect and offered to send out a replacement for the disc.

Nicely handled. I thanked her and told her I appreciated her support.

And since many here are aware of the less than good customer service I have received in the past over a defective record, I wanted to post the good experience, too. I hope that it starts a good trend going forward.

Gez, recstar24, nosliw and 3 others like this.
  7. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Another record from the mid-60s I wanted from MM was Wayne Shorter's "The All Seeing Eye" which also features Hubbard. It is one of my favorite records from Wayne for several reasons.

1. The music is great. Everything on this record is great.
    2. It features Wayne's older brother Alan Shorter on a track.
    3. The rest of the lineup is stacked. Freddie Hubbard, Grachan Moncur III, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Joe Chambers, and James Spaulding.
    4. The track featuring Alan is Mephistopheles, and he composed it. It's a brooding, dark, and atmospheric composition and there's nothing like it. The interplay between Hancock and Chambers. Incredible! Some of Hancock's finest playing, and that says a lot.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  8. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

Looking to pick up two more MM releases and need suggestions (I stick to the 33's)

Currently have:
    Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
    Art Blakey - Moanin'
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
    Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'

Trying to decide from:
    Tina Brooks - True Blue
    Freddie Hubbard - Hub Tones
    Thad Jones - The Magnificent
    Lee Morgan - Candy (Stereo)
    Hank Mobley - Soul Station

I'm leaning towards the Thad Jones and Lee Morgan

9. Gabe Walters

If it were me, first True Blue and Soul Station, then Hub Tones, then Candy, then The Magnificent Thad Jones.

10. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

I would vote for True Blue, Soul Station and then the Magnificent Thad Jones.

11. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

+1, but Candy sounds incredibly good as well. Wanna place bets you'll eventually get all of them? :agree:

bluejimbop and hfarrior3 like this.
  12. Hgavinyl

Hgavinyl Forum Resident

I would say True Blue and Soul Station. Especially Soul Station, but I'm biased since Soul Station is my favorite jazz record.

13. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

I wish! I'll have to sell some plasma to make that happen. I try to pick up a few a year so maybe it will happen, they just sound so freakin' good.

14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Just listened to hub tones last night. It's been awhile because I listen to so much Hubbard on my other MM's but hub tones is beautiful, his playing is very lyrical with great phrasing and James Spaulding adds a very lush quality to record. Listened to true blue and man that is a classic, brooks knows how to write a nice vamp.

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I sent an email to Lori as well today about my copy of solid, which had a noticeable warp/wobble on the platter, nothing ridiculous and still sounds great on my technics 1200gr but figure with a pretty expensive record it’s worth asking for a replacement. Lori was apologetic but couldn’t offer me a replacement as they only have numbered copies for that title and no replacement copies available. She offered me a full refund which I thought was great, but instead of them eating a loss I offered if they would be willing to offer me a discount on my next order and she graciously agreed to a nice discount. I think it’s a win win for both of us and I having nothing but positive things to say about their customer service so far and the overall quality of the stuff I’ve received as well.

16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I picked up tonight Ike Quebec's Easy Living MM45 and a blue label Van Gelder copy of Idle Moments. Listened to Idle Moments, will spin the MM 33 tomorrow to compare. Just started Easy Living and I think it's another fantastic title. A bit more upbeat than Blue & Sentimental but still very chill and groovy. Not sure if this one was a big seller but can't recommend it enough. Ike and Turrentine sound like they're having a lot of fun playing off of and with each other. Sonically everything you'd expect from a MM 45.

Gabe Walters, garrincha and Gez like this.
  17. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I played my 33RPM copy of Joe Henderson's Page One and it's the best sounding version of the album I ever heard. I still haven't gotten around to play my copy of Kenny Drew's Undercurrent yet, but will do this very soon. My copy of Somethin' Else is still in transit so I should hopefully get this within this week or so.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  18. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

I can't vouch for Page One, as it ain't in my collection...yet, but you will not be disappointed with either Undercurrent or Somethin' Else. both are absolutely stellar!

nosliw likes this.
  19. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

In just a few months I've become a fan of this label as well and managed to pick up 20+ titles. Can someone point me to a list of all releases so far? Thanks!

Maccamera likes this.
  20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

21. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@DrJ I cheated on my music matters grant green relationship and had a quick affair with the AP 45’s I’d idle moments and green street. Finishing up idle moments, it is amazing. The groove on the title track is impeccable, I love a slow blues tune. And while the overall tone of the album is more laid back and dreamy, I find it to be a pretty intense sounding performance! I would describe the musicians as very fiery sounding, but all within a very laidback bluesy groove. I love it!

AnalogJ, guidedbyvoices and DrJ like this.
  23. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Well it is a masterpiece, indeed - no argument here! The title track and "Jean De Fleur" are two of my favorite pieces recorded by Green.

About the "quick affair" part... ;)

[​IMG]

recstar24 likes this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

No worries I made it up I’ve got MM goodens corner coming in anytime now :)

DrJ likes this.
  25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I can tell you've got the Green Bug, serious case, incurable. Never was sickness so much fun. :)

If you're open to the later more funky stuff in his canon, which I've also come to love, check this one out (a bit off topic since it is not available as a MM (or AP) release, of course, but available on CD and LP reissues):
    [​IMG]