Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Truth.

fldveloce likes this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The quality of product is not in question. But, uh, Fred, you may not remember the 10 minute call from MA to CA that would cost $5. And, the poor customer service? Well, they had you over a barrel as they were the only game in town. Lowest prices?? Hah hah. That's funny. Note the price for 3 calls to Topeka, KS, for a total of $23.64 in the following clip. 3 calls within the US. $23.64. And this was in the 1970s.

Everyone, reflect back to a time and place when Lily Tomlin's Bell Telephone operator, Ernestine, accurately skewered the perception of Ma Bell's customer service:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  3. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I find it silly when people comment on what businesses are doing when they know so little about the total picture of the financial operation.

Frankly, a fixed shipping cost up a certain order size and free above that rewards the "best" customers who order the most. Every business should try to do that.

drkNRG, Fritz G23, btf1980 and 3 others like this.
  4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I sit on both sides of this argument, and honestly, having MM raise the bar like they have is good for everyone in the end. They've created a great product, built a quality brand, and carved a space that few can occupy. So, of course, they can charge whatever they want. If this didn't happen, we'd be stuck with crappy sounding records. And if MM doesn't successfully run their business, they won't be around.

It's quite possible that the bar MM has set has caught the eye of others like Don Was, who most of know, now has teamed up with Joe Harley for Tone Poet. So you see, we all win :agree:

mikeyt, recstar24 and dminches like this.
  5. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Please for the love of god let’s get back to the music and impressions on the new SRX releases!

6. Cardboard Cowboy

Cardboard Cowboy Forum Resident

Like I said, total butt fest continues.

7. AnalogJ

I understand what you're saying, but it's very important to not gloss over customer service issues separate from the quality of the product. There have been occasional serious customer service issues. It's not fair or nice to those who have had them to dismiss the issues they have had. And people who post about them would prefer not to have them. They wish to have the great product, but prefer not to have the issues. If you, personally, have not experienced the issue, good for you.

So be empathetic.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Cant do that because there is always one particuliar poster that seems to know everything about everything and obsesses about whatever that thing is and kills the thread.

mikeyt and recstar24 like this.
  9. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

This is good advice and I will be :) Customer satisfaction is critical, and I certainly don't dismiss the customer service issues you or others have had. My response was more in regard to the pricing. Now, back to the music...

10. robd2

robd2 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been discussed many times already. What are the general thoughts on the various MM releases vs the Acoustic Sounds 45 versions? I’ve been impressed with the AP45s Blue Notes.

FashionBoy and AnalogJ like this.
  11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Folks, I have zero complaints about Music Matters, but it is a company offering a product for sale and as such customers have every right to offer their impressions. Good or bad.

The notion that this thread should not be anything less than a lovefest is simply ridiculous. These records aren’t free, and not unlike anything else in life, there isn’t going to be unanimous consensus. People who have issues deserve the same respect as people who don’t.

dastinger, Lucca90, garrincha and 2 others like this.
  12. AnalogJ

We talk about everything and anything regarding MM. We have talked about the inner sleeves. Outer cover. Photos. 33 vs 45. Master tapes. Cables and mastering. Scratches. Thumb marks. Non-fill. Great customer service. Poor customer service. Wish lists.

In other words, the gamut. If a particular the discussion takes the road off a fork you're not interested in, ignore it and move on. You're not the god of this thread to determine for everyone else whether that topic is important.

When more get to play their SRX copies, we'll get more posts on the music and sound.

FashionBoy and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  13. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

"Please for the love of god let’s get back to the music and impressions on the new SRX releases!" So good, it had to be repeated!

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

My suggestion is to place the guy on ignore who goes on and on and on. Like Im going to do right now :thumbsup:

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Actually we are all gods. I have the power to place you on ignore and make you disappear :laugh:

16. invalidcharacters

invalidcharacters Well-Known Member

Admerr likes this.
  17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Regarding Grant Green's Solid SRX, I mentioned in a earlier post how silky smooth it sounded with incredible presence. This may be partly due to it being a later recording ('64 just after Matador), but MM certainly brings all of this forward. "Grant's Tune" is phenomenal and one of those songs that just sticks in your head. I'm sometimes not a fan of electric guitar in jazz, as I prefer the physics of the acoustic sounds, but when paired with the great Joe Henderson, the music really comes alive. I don't think you will be disappointed.

18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I think the issue is comments that really aren’t talking about the actual product or musical/sonic merit of said product. When it appears that some are chiming in about business practice, but really have no idea how to run a business such as a niche vinyl reissue label, you get a lot of noise. The signal to noise ratio here has been lowering quite a bit, so it would be awesome to get that a little higher.

I’ll contribute by saying Lou Donaldson is blues walk is essential and what I’d look at getting first if first dipping into this new series. As of now I don’t see the need to double dip those that I already have on 45, but am confident they would match them sonically easily and may offer some benefits to those of us with well setup revealing systems. Lastly, MM is NOT the only game in town and doesn’t have a monopoly on the business as some random poster posted above, and there are tons of great blues note reissues out there now for lower price if needed.

scotti and mikeyt like this.
  19. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I listened to my 15ips reel of Blues Walk last night since I haven’t received my LP yet. This is an amazing album, maybe Donaldson’s best. I am looking forward to getting a new copy.

20. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

This may be my favorite jazz record, period. I have this pressing and it is phenomenal.

Admerr likes this.
  21. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Glad to help. They should also have a 15% off code listed on their site. Not sure if that title is eligible.

I completely agree. That AP pressing sounds incredible.

22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Anything else you’d recommend from the prestige ap’s?

23. AnalogJ

But then you lessen the richness of your life by hearing only those with whom you agree.

Bryce and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Please just stop.

Tommyboy and mikeyt like this.
  25. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Good luck with that!