Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

So you are recording 1/4 track?

2. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Yes, I ordered mine on 1/1 and it arrived on
    i bet it sounds fabulous! Really, great to have the ability to do that - I love the way reel to reel sounds ...I might have to buy a back-up copy .....and a decent cd version instead...i could wear these lps out otherwise.

Francisx and Guitarded like this.
  3. Joti Cover

Sorry Guitarded I was respondinf to your mail situation a couple of days ago and was interrupted...i hope your order came in...

Guitarded likes this.
  4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

No problem J

USPS Tracking finally updated and it looks like the SRX Set is 40 miles away and will finally arrive on Tuesday.

Joti Cover, AnalogJ, PATB and 6 others like this.
  5. Joti Cover

Yes! Soon. They pack them very well, thankfully so at least that won’t be an issue. Do share your impressions after you get a minute afterwards.

Bryce and Guitarded like this.
  6. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Awesome!

Joti Cover and Guitarded like this.
  7. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

The ATR Master tape is great for recording. No difference between the LP or the tape...it's that good. I have all of the 33 MM's. After recording all to tape I am selling the lot!

recstar24 likes this.
  8. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I would be interested in some of them if you would consider sending to UK.

9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My second set of SRX titles arrived this past Saturday with the order being placed on 1/11, pretty fast for Media Mail...still digesting them as I had some other MM titles in the order as well.

This vinyl is beyond addicting and now to top it all off, I am now going after some of the Tone Poet releases as I drift further down the Black Hole of this incredible sounding Jazz on vinyl! Joe Harley needs to go on vacation (not) for while before I spend every penny I own on the amazing titles he keeps bringing us!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  10. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

That turntable...:righton:

11. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Just saw that MFSL is using the new vinyl formulation and calling it "SuperVinyl". Pretty cool that a couple decades after the format was thought dead, we're getting better format technology.

Twinsfan007, Bobsblkwax and Admerr like this.
  12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Just looked at the email again and noticed that the next MFSL one-step is Bill Evans' Portrait in Jazz and uses the supervinyl. I know I joked about it before but now it's here. I can't afford to splurge, but I'm very curious as to how this sounds.

Aura likes this.
  13. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

The new MFSL Marvin Gaye, One Step is on supervinyl.

14. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

'Inner Urge' (SRX).

Wow.

riverrat, Bryce, scotti and 1 other person like this.
  15. BendBound

BendBound Forum Resident

Here is a good write-up on the Vinyl Engine about the composition of vinyl with some history: Composition of vinyl records- Vinyl Engine .

This link (put together by a high school senior) is all about the chemistry of vinyl with a number of terrific links to other resources: The Chemistry of Vinyl Records - www.ChemistryIsLife.com .

Once I was told that lead was added to the PVC (plus carbon black) mixture as a lubricant. I have not been able to verify that. But I was told that lead was disallowed, likely late 1960s, and vinyl records lost one of the important components to make them quite. This could be hogwash, but that I was told once.

So now with the resurgence of vinyl records, it is reasonable that new work on the basic and rather simple chemistry ensue. Records are expensive and I think it reasonable that manufacturers deliver a better product. Apparently, that is underway.

So it seems that MM has helped push for a better (less noisy and more durable?) vinyl composition, bringing it into the 21st century.

16. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

I am recording 1/4 track at 7 1/2 ips on 10 inch reels. So far I am able to record between 5 and 6 Music Matters LP's on one reel.
    With the auto-reverse on the Technics and a little sensor tape it is well worth it.

robd2, recstar24 and Joti Cover like this.
  17. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

It really does sound as good as the LP...no difference to my ears. Plus Reel to Reel is just...well..Cool!

Joti Cover likes this.
  18. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

I've listened to the Joe Henderson, Hank Mobley and Lou Donaldson SRX pressings this evening and they sound and look fabulous. I really love the Lou Donaldson 'Blues Walk'. ( more sets to get through and I hope they are as pleasurable as these forst 3. Well done MM and all involved with the project.

drkNRG and robd2 like this.
  19. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I am still waiting for my records to arrive. Got held up in Customs. You got yours very quickly. Did you get full set?

20. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

My order (the full set) was shipped on the 10th and arrived on the 22nd. Customs charges was £23 (I think). They send a letter if it is due but if you keep an eye on Parcelforce tracking until it says charges have been raised and a letter is being sent, you can phone up, quote the tracking number and pay online. It saved a couple of days waiting for me anyway.

21. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I’m now multiple orders deep into the SRX series. It didn’t help that they threw up a few more copies of Blue Hour.

22. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

The Sonny Rollins & Johnny Griffin are superb. I'm 5 discs in now and there hasn't been a single issue. Sublime.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  23. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Ok Thanks. I think I am almost there. I received letter this morning and paid online. Just waiting for delivery now.
    Hopefully tomorrow or day after. Can’t wait.

24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Finally got me set this afternoon. That packaging will survive just about anything USPS throws at it.

Looking forward to a long night of SRX Blue Notes.

25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

From the first link you provided (thanks BTW!):
    The stabilizers are typically metal salts of fatty acids or similar organometallic compounds (often called “metallic soaps”). The metals are typically lead, tin, barium and/or cadmium and the fatty acids are typically lauric or stearic acid. They typically make up 0.5-1.5% of the resin mix and often, more than one type are added. Some of these compounds also act as releasing agents.

BendBound likes this.